South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Its a fair point. If you were a traffic warden and you had the choice between:

a) going to a nice middle class area in Dore to handout a few tickets to rich yummy mummies in their Land Rovers parking on yellows outside a school; or

b) going to Page Hall to hand out a few tickets to the locals, with a high chance of being verbally and physically assaulted and people ringing up their mates to form a gang to kick the living daylights out of you

....where would you choose to go

The fact is that the Civil Enforcement Officers ( they haven’t been “Traffic Wardens” for many years) do not get that choice.

They are given a beat to patrol at the start of each shift and that’s what they do. Their outputs and locations can be checked and so they can’t just go and enforce wherever they feel like. 

Appropriate risk assessments are carried out and mitigation’s put in place to address known or likely issues in order to keep officers as safe as possible. Abuse and sometimes assault are part of the risks associated with the job and the officers are trained in how to deal with those risks.

OK then, I will rephrase the question.

If you were a in charge of a team of thirty Civil Enforcement Officers,  and you had the choice between:

a) sending them to a nice middle class area in Dore to handout a few tickets to rich yummy mummies in their Land Rovers parking on yellows outside a school; or

b) sending them to Page Hall to hand out a few tickets to the locals, with a high chance of them being verbally and physically assaulted and people ringing up their mates to form a gang to kick the living daylights out of them

....where would you choose to send them?

15 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

OK then, I will rephrase the question.

If you were a in charge of a team of thirty Civil Enforcement Officers,  and you had the choice between:

a) sending them to a nice middle class area in Dore to handout a few tickets to rich yummy mummies in their Land Rovers parking on yellows outside a school; or

b) sending them to Page Hall to hand out a few tickets to the locals, with a high chance of them being verbally and physically assaulted and people ringing up their mates to form a gang to kick the living daylights out of them

....where would you choose to send them?

I’d have a rota of enforcement beats which would address the policies / priorities in place and would also deal with any known / logged issues. I’d also have a mobile response team who could be sent to deal with any reported issues as they arise.

Which is exactly what SCC do.

I wouldnt blame them if they didnt send their staff to Page Hall tbh, why put your staff in more danger than you need to?

39 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I wouldnt blame them if they didnt send their staff to Page Hall tbh, why put your staff in more danger than you need to?

What does this have to do with south yorkshire bus service improvements? Nothing!

Even when people are very scared, frightened of danger and blaming others needing wardens to control this for them. 

If you stay on your own feet and overcome this fear a bit you may find that there are only local buses in page hall that often get through that area in less than 5 minutes.

I wasnt the one who changed the subject tbf.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

I wasnt the one who changed the subject tbf.

You weren't , @HeHasRisen- I can't remember who did and cba to trawl back and find out.

I suspect it was one of the usual suspects 😀 and I'll see if I can return it to the subject sometime soon.

I have an idea - can we get the OP back to complain the bus was two inches short of the stop last time he caught one? 🤣

Edited by RollingJ
Added comment

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Lots of old chestnuts on this thread. “Ivory Tower” indeed. 
What exactly isn’t being carried out and what is your evidence to support this contention?

Lesr to read what is written not what you want to see. Its all there.

As for "what is your evidence" That is just a polite way of calling someone a liar so will be given the regard it deserves. I told you what happens ( often) believe it or not I dont give a stuff and find your arrogant manner annoying and selective in the memory area.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Lesr to read what is written not what you want to see. Its all there.

As for "what is your evidence" That is just a polite way of calling someone a liar so will be given the regard it deserves. I told you what happens ( often) believe it or not I dont give a stuff and find your arrogant manner annoying and selective in the memory area.

Posting a load of bluster is often what people do when they can’t back up what they’ve said.

You said: Try telling the troops on the ground what the ivory tower inhabitants want then because it is NOT being carried out. 

You have not said what it is you think isn’t being carried out. 

You mentioned you’d had one conversation, presumably with a CEO, but you didn’t specify. The person apparently said they’d be “roasted” if they went to a certain area, there’s no mention of who by. The locals? Their managers? Again you didn’t specify.

I have many years of direct involvement in this field, but it appears you’ll take the word of one person from one conversation as gospel, but dismiss what I’m telling you.

The points you mention about taxis parking in bus stops or blocking roads don’t in my view recognise the practicalities or difficulty of actually enforcing against such contraventions or the amount of enforcement resources at the Council’s disposal, or the other priorities they might have for enforcement.

The Council have numerous priorities for enforcement and limited resources to enforce with. They can’t spend all their time trying to ticket taxi drivers, who generally know exactly how far they can push their luck before being ticketed. Taxis do get tickets, go ask Parking Services for the stats if you’re interested.

The Council work in partnership with bus operators and target bus lane / gate camera enforcement at locations where: (1) contraventions are actually taking place ( they do surveys to check), (2) buses are actually being delayed by vehicles contravening restrictions ( operators provide data and surveys are done) (3) the restriction is enforceable, using cameras,  by the Council ( not all of them are). They can’t and won’t enforce every part of every bus related restriction to the nth degree, because it isn’t proportionate, practical or reasonable. 

You have a particular focus on bus related matters and that’s fine, but the Council have a range of matters they have to consider, buses are just one of them and you can’t reasonably expect them to ignore the rest to focus on buses. There’s always going to be a debate about priorities.

We have a yard ,city centre ish , and the few times the gates have been obstructed you just about have to beg  to get enforcement to turn up,I get the feeling they are woefully understaffed.

They could come every morning and slap a line of builders vehicles with tickets.

1 hour ago, butlers said:

We have a yard ,city centre ish , and the few times the gates have been obstructed you just about have to beg  to get enforcement to turn up,I get the feeling they are woefully understaffed.

They could come every morning and slap a line of builders vehicles with tickets.

First thing in the morning on weekdays the enforcement officers tend to be concentrating on the main transport corridors and school entrances.

There are less CEO’s than many people might think and they are spread across three shifts per day. 

Go on ,I"ll ask as I had a half hearted attempted to find out earlier,how many officers are there