South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

True but was very frequent service .

It also ran a route that a normal bus could not run

If this is the bus I think it is, it was very handy for aged shoppers who otherwise could not have made the length and gradient of the Moor from top to bottom.  They would certainly welcome it back!

Was packed with oldies who disproportionately don't have cars.

Ran from the B and C , Arundel Gate ,Surrey St  then down to the new Moor Markets.

Returned via Paternoster Row ,handy for train station, and Pond St.

Off hand I can't think of a service that duplicates many of those points without having to change bus 

35 minutes ago, butlers said:

True but was very frequent service .

It also ran a route that a normal bus could not run

Agreed on both counts - BUT it was very labour intensive, and therefore disproportionately expensive (someone has to pay) and  most of that route was covered by very nearby stops. People do have legs.

19 minutes ago, butlers said:

Was packed with oldies who disproportionately don't have cars.

Ran from the B and C , Arundel Gate ,Surrey St  then down to the new Moor Markets.

Returned via Paternoster Row ,handy for train station, and Pond St.

Off hand I can't think of a service that duplicates many of those points without having to change bus 

But they already had a free bus pass.

Thought that was the route - haven't had time to dig my old records up yet. Admitted it was good if you wanted Pond St/Station - providing you were coming from that side of the city centre.

Today. there certainly isn't, and in the past there wasn't.

Edited by RollingJ

I live in S3, near the Infirmary Road Tesco, and I used to frequently use the old 31 service between upper Walkley, Hillsborough and Pond St Bus Station, but a couple of years back they took that service off, and replaced it with the 135, which is considerably less reliable IMO even though it goes on more or less the same route.

3 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

I live in S3, near the Infirmary Road Tesco, and I used to frequently use the old 31 service between upper Walkley, Hillsborough and Pond St Bus Station, but a couple of years back they took that service off, and replaced it with the 135, which is considerably less reliable IMO even though it goes on more or less the same route.

Which bus operator runs/ran each service? Why less reliable, bearing in mind that it is probably a tendered service, and that traffic has got heavier and more congested in certain areas?

34 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Which bus operator runs/ran each service? Why less reliable, bearing in mind that it is probably a tendered service, and that traffic has got heavier and more congested in certain areas?

The 135 is run by First, the 31 was TM Travel as I recall, and even that was frequently late, and I used to regularly get stuck in Town after 16.00 when the ruddy thing didn't turn up at all, annoying being stood at the bottom of Angel St outside Argos for a Bus that wasn't coming.

OK. Not a route/service I have any experience of, but from memory when I used to have friends in the area, traffic was a nightmare, and if services were interworked, one of them could 'miss' one of its routes.

14 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

The 135 is run by First, the 31 was TM Travel as I recall, and even that was frequently late, and I used to regularly get stuck in Town after 16.00 when the ruddy thing didn't turn up at all, annoying being stood at the bottom of Angel St outside Argos for a Bus that wasn't coming.

Meant to post this yesterday but got side-tracked. I honestly don't know the full route of the old '31' service,  but looking at the 135 route. I'm not surprised about the problems at all - it is a long route through some notorious traffic black-spots.

'My' routes - 97/98 - suffer from severe disruption, even at way off-peak times and they only run Hillsborough-Totley. I know well where the problems occur, and there is little that can be done, other than (possibly) better enforcement of bus-lanes, but I accept SCC have only a limited number of enforcement teams.

It is many years since I've been to your area, but there must be more than the one service? Just had a quick look on the useless SYT travel site and can't really see the routes.

Edited by RollingJ
Added text.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Meant to post this yesterday but got side-tracked. I honestly don't know the full route of the old '31' service,  but looking at the 135 route. I'm not surprised about the problems at all - it is a long route through some notorious traffic black-spots.

'My' routes - 97/98 - suffer from severe disruption, even at way off-peak times and they only run Hillsborough-Totley. I know well where the problems occur, and there is little that can be done, other than (possibly) better enforcement of bus-lanes, but I accept SCC have only a limited number of enforcement teams.

It is many years since I've been to your area, but there must be more than the one service? Just had a quick look on the useless SYT travel site and can't really see the routes.

It's well served by the Middlewood and Malin Bridge bound Trams, and various other Buses that go on Penistone Road, but the 135, and formerly the 31, stop round the corner from the Flat, on Watery St.

OK - so it's a convenience thing, fair enough.

10 hours ago, RollingJ said:

The 135 used to run via Shalesmoor and bypass Upperthorpe. The operator was all but bullied into rerouting it around Upperthorpe to replace the 31 by the PTE.

From what I understand TM used 25ish seat small Optares for the route, a vehicle First don't have