South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

16 hours ago, butlers said:

81/ 82 goes from 20 yds up road towards town

somewhat further I think than 20 yards and how does an intending passenger unfamiliar with this fact know? 

On 25/04/2021 at 11:19, Bigal1 said:

somewhat further I think than 20 yards and how does an intending passenger unfamiliar with this fact know? 

Ask at the information desk.

Look at the map.

Information screen

Ask a local.

Smartphone.

Very sensible for the through services not to go into the little interchange if possible as their departure slow all road users down.

Not unprecedented as the 52a  outbound uses Forbes Road,

4 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Look at the map.

Information screen

Ask a local.

Smartphone.

Very sensible for the through services not to go into the little interchange if possible as their departure slow all road users down.

Where is the information desk at Hillsborough Interchange?

Which map - there wasn't one there last time I used it?

Information screen - where?

Ask a local - reasonable response, and I have done.

Smartphone - not everyone has one, but I have used my iPad.

Think I mentioned that through services don't use the Interchange.

42 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Look at the map.

Information screen

Ask a local.

Smartphone.

52a only parks up on Forbes Road to wait for time and then calls at the interchange. 81 and 82 used to stop in the lay-by same as the 52

don,t use smartphone

the map is not of much help I am not even sure if the stop is marked but would have to check

info desk is not open in evening

how many locals would you need to ask to find one who knows.

If all else fails I tend to ask a bus driver .

Just now, butlers said:

If all else fails I tend to ask a bus driver .

Good idea - so long as there is one around not busy driving a bus.

People who find it difficult to cope with such a tiny place like Hillsborough Interchange are going to really struggle with Sheffield City Centre stops, another city, a railway station or even an airport.

Compared with thirty years ago the sources of available information have multiplied enormously.

In addition to signage, timetables, destination boards, boarding locations, people, we have screens that have maps, information points, information phones, smartphones,etc. There is only do much that can be done.

15 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

People who find it difficult to cope with such a tiny place like Hillsborough Interchange are going to really struggle with Sheffield City Centre stops, another city, a railway station or even an airport.

Compared with thirty years ago the sources of available information have multiplied enormously.

In addition to signage, timetables, destination boards, boarding locations, people, we have screens that have maps, information points, information phones, smartphones,etc. There is only do much that can be done.

Me thinks you are far too defensive.

There is more that can be done but the "powers that be" and the people responsible need to see things though the consumers eyes and not from the company perspective. Most importantly there is the need to ensure that the information is designed to work for those unfamiliar with the network and public transport and not those who are already familiar and know their way round the system. 

you might also actually familiarise yourself with the reality of the situation as the map at the interchange does not feature the bus stop for the 81/82 and the 81/82 do not feature on the destinations served from the interchange on poster either. A more consumer orientated might look and see well perhaps we can do more and include where the buses that do not stop at the Interchange might be found in the immediate area

Edited by Bigal1

A free bus is a waste of tax payers money. Pretty much any popular journey around the City Centre that there are roads suitable for buses  is covered by the existing bus network. Pensioners/Disabled have free bus passes. Most regular users, both adult and children, now buy unlimited travel tickets. As far as I can see the biggest beneficiary of a free City Centre bus would be car users to hitch a free ride to/from their car park and visitors arriving by train who would otherwise have been quite happy to pay a bus or tram fare.

The idea of bus franchising is also a waste of tax payers money. You are paying for a huge restructuring of how public transport is managed yet is unlikely to solve the core issues facing Sheffield's bus system, which is largely a result of failings of Sheffield City Council or SYPTE (public sector, not private operators) who are responsible for the infrastructure (bus stops, bus lanes, impartial information etc), tendered services and of course the more political championing of public transport as part of a green travel policy.

Forget the comedy proposals being made in the run up to the local elections and lets focus on the basics of our bus & tram network being reliable, effective and attractive.

Edited by Andy C

I used the FreeBee often and it seemed well used often full.

Would I care car users used it, not at all if they had to pay for parking and then pay again for a bus that's a disincentive to come to the city centre.

I believe Leeds and Manchester still run similar services .

As the core of the shopping area is going to be the Moor it's unfortunate it's away from the tram route.

Sheffield was always odd in that the shopping area was strung out ,quite a hike from Lady's Bridge to Moorfoot.

IIRC - the FreeBee was a minibus? So it didn't take many to fill it.