South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

12 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Its like the fantastic idea of cabins on the Fargate which was supposed to open in June 

Yup, and just about as well considered/organised.

On 27/05/2022 at 10:33, RollingJ said:

I may be wrong here - it is a while since I looked at the proposed route, but I think it does - eventually.

Great—just got to get the other bus services sorted so we can get to the city centre to use it

5 hours ago, catmiss said:

Great—just got to get the other bus services sorted so we can get to the city centre to use it

Your problem being?

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Your problem being?

Probably someone else who thinks the bus should stop outside their house every 5 mins and take them exactly where they want to go.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Probably someone else who thinks the bus should stop outside their house every 5 mins and take them exactly where they want to go.

100% correct. 

People want taxis at less than bus prices. 

On 27/05/2022 at 10:28, LovePotion said:I think the city centre bus should link the railway station. Surely with the massive forecourt they could find space for a bus stop. That would be advantageous over walking to the bus station or further, especially with suitcases etc. 

Agreed! Manchester has 3 free routes round the city centre and they all start from Piccadilly railway station which is great when it’s pishing down cos it drops me at the vine pub to meet mi mates for beer and curry

its a no brainer to any forward thinking city…oh wait a minute we’re talking Sheffield. Probably start it in nether edge so the eco  Marxists can use it

5 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

Agreed! Manchester has 3 free routes round the city centre and they all start from Piccadilly railway station which is great when it’s pishing down cos it drops me at the vine pub to meet mi mates for beer and curry

its a no brainer to any forward thinking city…oh wait a minute we’re talking Sheffield. Probably start it in nether edge so the eco  Marxists can use it

In an ideal world it would serve the station and the bus station opposite and somewhere with easy tram access but as you rightly say that may not be obvious to the PTE or Mayor

Guest busdriver1
10 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

without raising the old "what city is bigger" argument, just look at the footfall in Central Manchester and compare it with the footfall in Sheffield City centre. There is no comparison

1 hour ago, Man in Crete said:

Have you actually used it lately?

It got reduced to 2 routes in 2018, due to declining passenger numbers apparently.

It might be a “no brainier” if you can get someone to pay for it. Manchester’s is/was funded by a property developer who owns the Spinningfields development. The bus operator also contributed. Costs circa £1.2 million a year to run.

Theres an article in Wiki giving all the history here

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

without raising the old "what city is bigger" argument, just look at the footfall in Central Manchester and compare it with the footfall in Sheffield City centre. There is no comparison

Exactly.

Greater Manchester has around twice the population of South Yorkshire.

Funding from the government for transport schemes tends to be generally based on population, so Greater Manchester always gets a lot more funding than they do here.