South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

13 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

So his franchising scheme has failed? 

cant stay on that site long, some podcast starts and cant find it to turn it off

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, sheffbag said:

So his franchising scheme has failed? 

cant stay on that site long, some podcast starts and cant find it to turn it off

This wasnt for franchising, that ship will not sail for many years. There are lots of hoops to jump through and He hasnt even found where they are let alone how to jump through them. This was to give free travel to all under 18s, cap all fares in the lowest fare city in the UK,  and provide new bus shelters. No mention of getting buses to actually serve those shelters.

Most likely reason is these plans were not really about improving bus services as was required for the funding. Just a grand virtue signalling scheme.

Edited by busdriver1

Jarvis is only bellyaching because there's an election coming up and he's trying to show he is is doing something....    Sheffield might have been one of those who lost out on the bus money but they did appear to get a huge whack of money to keep the tram network running and make improvements.  A child of 5 would understand it was highly unlikely we'd get everything we want so maybe he should start focus on the good part. 

To be frank always thought his regional mayor role was always a useless waste of space from day one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

This wasnt for franchising, that ship will not sail for many years. There are lots of hoops to jump through and He hasnt even found where they are let alone how to jump through them. This was to give free travel to all under 18s, cap all fares in the lowest fare city in the UK,  and provide new bus shelters. No mention of getting buses to actually serve those shelters.

Most likely reason is these plans were not really about improving bus services as was required for the funding. Just a grand virtue signalling scheme.

I knew about the plans for the capping and U18s. I just couldnt read the link that was provided as its star so clickbait and voiceovers everywhere

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Jarvis is only bellyaching because there's an election coming up and he's trying to show he is is doing something....    Sheffield might have been one of those who lost out on the bus money but they did appear to get a huge whack of money to keep the tram network running and make improvements.  A child of 5 would understand it was highly unlikely we'd get everything we want so maybe he should start focus on the good part. 

To be frank always thought his regional mayor role was always a useless waste of space from day one.

No not doing something did something, he wants a legacy hahahaha

Agree 100% about being a waste of space or at least in the case of jarvis and perhaps the next Mayor might devote their whole working week to the job

29 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I don't think we need new bus shelters, we just need seats that we can actually sit on. What I would like to see is more interactive information screens that show the expected time of the bus, not just disappear as soon as the bus is late. Railway PIS systems have this. I don't really mind if the bus is late, these things happen, but I would like to know if it is worth my while waiting at the stop or finding atlernative areangements. Usually, I leave the stop and the bus comes sailing past or I wait and it doesn't turn up.

No chance of decent displays the PTE are very happy with the current ones so much so that instead of getting ones fit for purpose for the tram (easily done) they bought ones that never had a hope in h**l of working. As far as the PTE are concerned they are perfect afterall they are sometimes right forgeting of course they are most valuable when things have gone wrong

• Like 1

Planning a journey with our bus service can be very annoying,so now have to set off a bit early than we use too,as you don:t now,how many stops the drivers are going to stop at,as they are now stopping a lot than they use to,mobile phones have now become so popular that people can"t live without looking at them and bus drivers stop and look at theres to often now,if they have cameras watching bus passengers,then why not on drivers to see how many times they stop and what they are doing

10 minutes ago, 1295galaxy said:

Planning a journey with our bus service can be very annoying,so now have to set off a bit early than we use too,as you don:t now,how many stops the drivers are going to stop at,as they are now stopping a lot than they use to,mobile phones have now become so popular that people can"t live without looking at them and bus drivers stop and look at theres to often now,if they have cameras watching bus passengers,then why not on drivers to see how many times they stop and what they are doing

You have had it explained to you a hundred times why the drivers have to stop, you still dont get it.

46 minutes ago, 1295galaxy said:

OMG

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, 1295galaxy said:

So you think the companies dont know where their buses are and what they are doing?  I feel so sorry for you.

On 05/04/2022 at 09:44, Michael_N said:

There was, the 64 that was withdrawn around 10yrs back? Been plenty of services over the years and all have failed to attract any passengers, so have been a waste of time.

54, not 64, I think.