South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

51 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As I refuse to listen to that individual twisting the truth, do you have any further details - stripped of the spin?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/full-breakdown-of-where-the-27-new-electric-buses-will-be-going-in-south-yorkshire-3630335

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Resident said:

I see Jarvis gurning in the press again about securing 23 new electric buses for South Yorkshire. 

Then gifting them all to Stagecoach to use on just 2 specific routes

Wonder how fat the brown envelope was from Mr Stagecoach...

The attitude of some people on here never ceases to disappoint me.

We should be saying well done to the Mayoral Combined Authority for bringing in millions of pounds in government funding, but instead, we get "how fat was the brown envelope"

Well, if you took the trouble to do a bit of research instead of posting a load of ill informed nonsense, you might find that:

"Stagecoach was chosen following a selection process where all operators in the region were offered the opportunity to collaborate with SYMCA in the ZEBRA scheme. From these Full Business Case Zero Emission Bus Regional Areas (ZEBRA) 7 discussions, it was clear that the only viable operator at that time was Stagecoach. Other operators did not want to be considered as a partner for this particular fund in South Yorkshire"

If you look at the route chosen, you'll see it covers Barnsley Rotherham and Doncaster, so taking into consideration the funding is also paying for a small fleet of shuttle buses for Sheffield, all of the local authorities in South Yorkshire are getting something out of it. Therefore political needs are satisfied, everyone gets something.

On the operator front, Stagecoach are actually buying the vehicles and SYMCA are the lead on the bid because they are the public transport authority for South Yorkshire and that's how the government wants it. Its a partnership. Stagecoach are actually contributing the normal cost of a diesel fleet for that route and the government grants are paying for the additional cost of buying and using electric vehicles.

You can see the full bid document on this page of the SYMCA website.

As Mayor, Dan Jarvis is the front person for bids like this. That's how the government wants it. Dan Jarvis isn't the one who takes the decisions, that's done by the MCA Board, which he chairs. Its made up of representatives from each of the local authorities, see this page.

So, no bungs, brown envelopes or other corruption, just a job well done by the officers of the MCA and the local authority partners.

• Haha 1

We saw with the replacement of the HSTs on the east coast and GWR just what a wrecking ball government procurement can be so quite frankly I do not understand why Stagecoach was not allowed to go ahead and buy the buses. After all what do SYMCA know about buying buses.

22 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The attitude of some people on here never ceases to disappoint me.

We should be saying well done to the Mayoral Combined Authority for bringing in millions of pounds in government funding, but instead, we get "how fat was the brown envelope"

Well, if you took the trouble to do a bit of research instead of posting a load of ill informed nonsense, you might find that:

"Stagecoach was chosen following a selection process where all operators in the region were offered the opportunity to collaborate with SYMCA in the ZEBRA scheme. From these Full Business Case Zero Emission Bus Regional Areas (ZEBRA) 7 discussions, it was clear that the only viable operator at that time was Stagecoach. Other operators did not want to be considered as a partner for this particular fund in South Yorkshire"

If you look at the route chosen, you'll see it covers Barnsley Rotherham and Doncaster, so taking into consideration the funding is also paying for a small fleet of shuttle buses for Sheffield, all of the local authorities in South Yorkshire are getting something out of it. Therefore political needs are satisfied, everyone gets something.

On the operator front, Stagecoach are actually buying the vehicles and SYMCA are the lead on the bid because they are the public transport authority for South Yorkshire and that's how the government wants it. Its a partnership. Stagecoach are actually contributing the normal cost of a diesel fleet for that route and the government grants are paying for the additional cost of buying and using electric vehicles.

You can see the full bid document on this page of the SYMCA website.

As Mayor, Dan Jarvis is the front person for bids like this. That's how the government wants it. Dan Jarvis isn't the one who takes the decisions, that's done by the MCA Board, which he chairs. Its made up of representatives from each of the local authorities, see this page.

So, no bungs, brown envelopes or other corruption, just a job well done by the officers of the MCA and the local authority partners.

Hmmm... :huh:

Now I realise that it may be seen as a bit of a novelty in some sections of the Sheffield workforce for people to actually achieve what they're employed to do...

... but thousands of us seem to manage it on a daily basis without the need to be told we've done a 'good job'. :roll:

27 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I'm still waiting to see where these 'Sheffield Shuttle' buses are going to go away from areas already covered by current services - there are very few area of Sheffield City centre I can see being viable.

Surely they are just replacing older diesel ones?

6 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Now I realise that it may be seen as a bit of a novelty in some sections of the Sheffield workforce for people to actually achieve what they're employed to do...

... but thousands of us seem to manage it on a daily basis without the need to be told we've done a 'good job'. :roll:

Maybe, but there's no need to label people as corrupt when they are just doing their job and following the rules associated with the funding bid. 

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Surely they are just replacing older diesel ones?

The Stagecoach ones are, but the Sheffield shuttle bus is a new service as far as I can see.

Just now, Planner1 said:

The Stagecoach ones are, but the Sheffield shuttle bus is a new service as far as I can see.

I see. Maybe its that new Freebee bus thing that is being talked about in the other thread then.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I see. Maybe its that new Freebee bus thing that is being talked about in the other thread then.

It is, but it ain't a FreeBee - it is, as said previously. just duplicating existing routes.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I would think that's what it is.

Just now, RollingJ said:

It is, but it ain't a FreeBee - it is, as said previously. just duplicating existing routes.

I dont disagree, just using a colloquial name so everyone knows what we are on about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Maybe, but there's no need to label people as corrupt when they are just doing their job and following the rules associated with the funding bid.

Just to avoid any confusion here...

... I've never labelled anyone as corrupt! :roll:

• Like 1