South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

Halfway has always seemed busy.  Not sure on the current timetable but at certain times of day instead of just turning round at Cathedral it would run to Meadowhell.

I've not been anywhere for 2 years though as mum is vulnerable so can't risk catching anything nasty.

On 09/02/2022 at 20:00, BigAl1 said:

Hard to believe the bus is faster than tram from city to Hillsborough but perhaps depends on where in the city. What ever faults the tram may have in general it is far more frequent than the bus, yes there are several buses but not much use if they all leave from different bus stops.

Depends on the time of day. The tram from Castle Square will easily beat the 81 from Angel Street at rush hour. Late night or early morning with little traffic though and the 81 will win.

I have received a mail from Stagecoach telling me  "Our fares are changing". Of course this means they are rising in price. From March 1st.

We often use the 50 service - Chesterfield to Sheffield - bus to get to town for football matches or if we are going out for the day in town. Our party is one old git (me), one 18 yo, one 17 yo and one 15 yo. (sometimes my wife too)

The 5 for a fiver is being withdrawn and the replacement appears to be a Silver rider at £15, a 200% increase!

Group Tickets 

5 for a Fiver - withdrawn 

NEW - Silver Group DayRider - £15
This ticket has the same boundaries as the Silver DayRider ticket.  Valid for up to 5 people of any age. This ticket is not available to buy on Supertram

There is going to be a family group ticket for Supertram only at £9.50 but it doesn't give details of age or numbers.

None of the youngsters are working though, they are still in education, so I pay for all the tickets.

16 hours ago, blackydog said:

I have received a mail from Stagecoach telling me  "Our fares are changing". Of course this means they are rising in price. From March 1st.

We often use the 50 service - Chesterfield to Sheffield - bus to get to town for football matches or if we are going out for the day in town. Our party is one old git (me), one 18 yo, one 17 yo and one 15 yo. (sometimes my wife too)

The 5 for a fiver is being withdrawn and the replacement appears to be a Silver rider at £15, a 200% increase!

Group Tickets 

5 for a Fiver - withdrawn 

NEW - Silver Group DayRider - £15
This ticket has the same boundaries as the Silver DayRider ticket.  Valid for up to 5 people of any age. This ticket is not available to buy on Supertram

There is going to be a family group ticket for Supertram only at £9.50 but it doesn't give details of age or numbers.

None of the youngsters are working though, they are still in education, so I pay for all the tickets.

I believe the 5 for a fiver was limited time, heavily subsidised ticket funded by government, to enncourage bus travel post-pandemic. Time's up on that funding and it's certainly not going to be commercially viable hence it's withdrawal. 

8 hours ago, Resident said:

I believe the 5 for a fiver was limited time, heavily subsidised ticket funded by government, to enncourage bus travel post-pandemic. Time's up on that funding and it's certainly not going to be commercially viable hence it's withdrawal. 

On the one hand we have a commercial transport company who want to make as much profit as possible, meaning price rises will be regular, and on the other hand a local council who doesn't want you to drive to and park in town (themselves excluded of course).

51 minutes ago, blackydog said:

On the one hand we have a commercial transport company who want to make as much profit as possible, meaning price rises will be regular, and on the other hand a local council who doesn't want you to drive to and park in town (themselves excluded of course).

You think everyone who works at the Council has car parking in the city centre?

Add that myth to the list along with "streets councillors live on get priority for gritting" and "councillors earn a fortune"

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

In this "world of your own" what is preventing people from driving to and parking in town?

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

You think everyone who works at the Council has car parking in the city centre?

Add that myth to the list along with "streets councillors live on get priority for gritting" and "councillors earn a fortune"

I don’t think he said all employees only just the privileged 377 employees and councillors 

39 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

I don’t think he said all employees only just the privileged 377 employees and councillors 

He didn’t say that either.

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, blackydog said:

The operator of that service ( Stagecoach) were on the brink of collapse and had to be taken over by National Express.  Is that enough profit for you?

3 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The operator of that service ( Stagecoach) were on the brink of collapse and had to be taken over by National Express.  Is that enough profit for you?

Has the merger been passed by the Competition authorities?  Last time I saw anything, it was being referred to Monopolies & Mergers.

Edited by RollingJ

9 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Has the merger been passed by the Competition authorities?  Last time I saw anything, it was being referred to Monopolies & Mergers.

It's being held by an investigation by the CMA however they say it's really just a formality and not expected to prevent the merger from happening by the end of 2022 as initially planned. 

CMA are involved due to the overlap of the coach side of the businesses as Stagecoach own MegaBus.