South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

I also try to use  bustimes.org.  I have to say that  at the moment I find it " nearly fantastic". Most of the time it is a great way to track real time progress rather than checking timetables, which as many have already said, can be affected by factors out of the bus companies' control.
In my neck of the woods, it's mainly Stagecoach and First buses. However, I've found a couple of issues with it.  Can anyone answer a couple of technical questions please which may help?
Firstly, are all buses in the fleets operated by these companies  fitted with functional and reliable tracking devices? I ask because I recently walked away from a bus stop as the app showed no bus due and then one, not showing on the app,  went past as I was walking between stops.
Secondly, when buses are stationary at a terminus with the engine off does the tracker also then switch off?
I'm genuinely grateful for these advances in technology but only if they are fully trustworthy.

18 minutes ago, andingmen said:

I also try to use  bustimes.org.  I have to say that  at the moment I find it " nearly fantastic". Most of the time it is a great way to track real time progress rather than checking timetables, which as many have already said, can be affected by factors out of the bus companies' control.
In my neck of the woods, it's mainly Stagecoach and First buses. However, I've found a couple of issues with it.  Can anyone answer a couple of technical questions please which may help?
Firstly, are all buses in the fleets operated by these companies  fitted with functional and reliable tracking devices? I ask because I recently walked away from a bus stop as the app showed no bus due and then one, not showing on the app,  went past as I was walking between stops.
Secondly, when buses are stationary at a terminus with the engine off does the tracker also then switch off?
I'm genuinely grateful for these advances in technology but only if they are fully trustworthy.

I know with First the tracker info for their own app and bustimes.org comes from the ticket machine so as long as it's powered then there should be a tracking signal however:

1. The machine is not infallable and not 100% accurate in terms of position although not usually far out. 
2. If the bus is in a covered location such as Donny or Rotherham Interchange the GPS signal can be blocked
3. The GPS receiver is separate to the ticket machine and sometimes loses comms with the TM

4. If a bus is running out of service then the ticket machine isn't logged to a service number so won't show on either tracker apps. 

* This is how it was explained to me, I cannot gaurantee it's full accuracy. 

Edited by Resident

Thanks for that reply, Resident. Useful info to bear in mind when I'm next waiting at a bus.

Just for info, the bus that sped past me mid- stop was certainly in service and the terminus I was checking was actually Lowedges. So maybe these were just examples of the kind of issues you mentioned

Still, even though there seem to be some vagaries with the system, it's certainly a vast improvement on standing  at a bus stop with absolutely no idea when or if a bus is likely to appear. Together with the live time display boards now at many stops, I do  find the technology increasingly useful. I look forward to these being increasingly reliable too.

10 minutes ago, andingmen said:

Thanks for that reply, Resident. Useful info to bear in mind when I'm next waiting at a bus.

Just for info, the bus that sped past me mid- stop was certainly in service and the terminus I was checking was actually Lowedges. So maybe these were just examples of the kind of issues you mentioned

Still, even though there seem to be some vagaries with the system, it's certainly a vast improvement on standing  at a bus stop with absolutely no idea when or if a bus is likely to appear. Together with the live time display boards now at many stops, I do  find the technology increasingly useful. I look forward to these being increasingly reliable too.

Whatever you do do not rely on the livetime display boards on the tram.

1 hour ago, andingmen said:

Its done with the ticket machine on Stagecoach buses. I think aslong as the correct journey number is entered by the driver then there shouldn't be an issue tracking it. I use the app when I'm waiting for my bus to take over and it's mostly pretty much spot on.

6 hours ago, andingmen said:

bustimes.org is an independent website that takes all its data from "BODS" - the bus industry open data service that all the English operators are now required to support.

The live tracking data for all operators comes from the ticket machine, so as long as the driver is logged in/out of the ticket machine correctly and the machine has a mobile data connection then that tracking data will be feeding back accurately.

The big transport groups like First and Stagecoach have invested huge sums of money in integrated back office facilities for timetables, ticketing etc and feed the tracking data directly to BODS, the smaller operators like TM Travel and Hulleys of Baslow without such resource rely on third parties to do it for them, usually their ticket machine supplier.

Personally I like using live maps for bus tracking more than departure boards - I can see where it physically is and make my own mind up, rather than relying on a computer algorithm that calculates how many minutes away a bus is without taking into account traffic congestion, diversions,  breakdowns or other such issues.

Edited by Andy C

Live maps? Do you mean Apple or Google Maps or is there something else?  Sometimes the apps I've used, Bus Checker, Bus Times UK or the First one, just show timetable times or tracked buses don't turn up.  I was told sometime ago, by a bus driver, that if the buses have machines that read your card or ticket  code, then they should show on trackers if they are turned on. 

Hi all i am one of the Bus Drivers that was on strike after all this reading comments on all social media regarding us, that we are greedy and should get another job because we knew what we was singing up for when joining 13 years ago... Well we find out the results next week and there will be another mass exodus of drivers after they have got there back pay including myself, i cant take the abuse anymore for just driving a bus around,

The Strike action is just the start as we have been told that both bus companies in Sheffield have now put in to reduce services another 20% mainly night and Sunday services its ok saying that oh that's not fair but when you are driving a bus round at 23:00 and you are transporting 2 or 3 people its not sustainable if you like it or not, i see lots of claims demanding buses go here there and everywhere well if you want that you have to catch them in your masses and also the company's have to pay better and have a better work life balance,   

I see alot saying well the NHS only got 1% well i am sorry but there nothing i can do about that, but i can fight for my wage when our CEO has a 6 figure salary we want our fair share and if we can fight for it we will many may not know we have been in these talks since the end of 2020 in reality we was promised that we would be rewarded for 2020 and have been shot in the back now, alot of driver was at a meeting yesterday and we are going to take the advice of alot of the public and go and find a new jobs as i knew the score when i signed up or if your not happy leave,

The Bus industriy is on its knees and is ran by people that think its still the boom years and its all about the money and it will never change they seem more bother that a drier isnt wearing a tie than if the service is working, Also alot have never driven a bus and dont even know the area they are in charge of, we as drivers are not listed too,

had to vent this sorry, Your Now Former local Bus Driver

Edited by driver151
adding

20 hours ago, mickf said:

Live maps? Do you mean Apple or Google Maps or is there something else?  Sometimes the apps I've used, Bus Checker, Bus Times UK or the First one, just show timetable times or tracked buses don't turn up.  I was told sometime ago, by a bus driver, that if the buses have machines that read your card or ticket  code, then they should show on trackers if they are turned on. 

The Stagecoach and First apps have maps showing buses moving around, however I find the best one is the bustimes.org website. Click on a bus stop and it will show you scheduled times or click on map and it will show a map with buses moving around live.

8 hours ago, driver151 said:

Hi all i am one of the Bus Drivers that was on strike after all this reading comments on all social media regarding us, that we are greedy and should get another job because we knew what we was singing up for when joining 13 years ago... Well we find out the results next week and there will be another mass exodus of drivers after they have got there back pay including myself, i cant take the abuse anymore for just driving a bus around,

The Strike action is just the start as we have been told that both bus companies in Sheffield have now put in to reduce services another 20% mainly night and Sunday services its ok saying that oh that's not fair but when you are driving a bus round at 23:00 and you are transporting 2 or 3 people its not sustainable if you like it or not, i see lots of claims demanding buses go here there and everywhere well if you want that you have to catch them in your masses and also the company's have to pay better and have a better work life balance,   

I see alot saying well the NHS only got 1% well i am sorry but there nothing i can do about that, but i can fight for my wage when our CEO has a 6 figure salary we want our fair share and if we can fight for it we will many may not know we have been in these talks since the end of 2020 in reality we was promised that we would be rewarded for 2020 and have been shot in the back now, alot of driver was at a meeting yesterday and we are going to take the advice of alot of the public and go and find a new jobs as i knew the score when i signed up or if your not happy leave,

The Bus industriy is on its knees and is ran by people that think its still the boom years and its all about the money and it will never change they seem more bother that a drier isnt wearing a tie than if the service is working, Also alot have never driven a bus and dont even know the area they are in charge of, we as drivers are not listed too,

had to vent this sorry, Your Now Former local Bus Driver

Most of the problems with buses in Sheffield are the passengers. Typical Sheffielders that everything should cost  next to nowt & be of a 5-star quality. They want picking up at a moments notice from their front door and depositing at their destination without delay, all for 10p.  It's like they're stuck in the 1970s.

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Most of the problems with buses in Sheffield are the passengers. Typical Sheffielders that everything should cost  next to nowt & be of a 5-star quality. They want picking up at a moments notice from their front door and depositing at their destination without delay, all for 10p.  It's like they're stuck in the 1970s.

👏

On 12/01/2022 at 11:23, andingmen said:

Was it a Hulleys bus by any chance? They and TM Travel seem to have been having data issues for the last few weeks.

If it was a Stagecoach bus running during the strike for a while those buses weren't in the electronic timetable due to the short notice planning so wouldn't have shown up on trackers.

14 hours ago, Resident said:

yep, pay Poundland prices but expect a Rolls Royce service!