South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

In other words - a 'non-job' for the boys. I agree with your second sentence totally.

Indeed

In the real world he might be challenged as to what actions he has taken after commissioning this report (at taxpayers expense) but of course he will not.

This report (bus)  had far more substance to it than his mayoral transport vision which was just a load of hot air

5 hours ago, Andy C said:

The main timing point in the City Centre for most bus routes is Arundel Gate around the Crucible/Castle Square where the road layout was designed to buses were in a layby out the way, there was a bus lane for other buses to pass then another lane for all other traffic.  This area is officially designated by SYPTE as "Arundel Gate bus Interchange". The council have now built boarding islands over the top of the layby so now if buses wait time there they are blocking traffic and therefore have to wait time a stop or two earlier if they arrive early, much to the frustration of the passengers. This is a change initiated by council planners so yes, in that respect they have decided where bus timing points are located - unless now social distancing is no longer required the bus stops are going to be restored to their previous condition.

I can confirm that those islands have now been removed.

The problem of too many services needing to use existing stands at "Arundel Gate Interchange" heading towards Castle Square still exists. At times there are 3-4 buses "tripping over each other" which leads to a risk for passengers as buses are having to stop in the bus lane to board/alight rather than the bays because it's already occupied. 

On the opposite side, heading towards Furnival Gate there are additional stop put in place by council/PTE. Again causing unnecessary risk as there can be 3-4 in a line, stopped in a live lane which pushes other traffic into the oncoming lane or backing traffic up if there's no room for them to safely overtake the static buses. 

Andy C deserves SF's thanks. For some years, he's been more reliable and up-to-date on public transport information than SCC/SYPTE/any of the operators.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Andy C deserves SF's thanks. For some years, he's been more reliable and up-to-date on public transport information than SCC/SYPTE/any of the operators.

I agree, @Jeffrey Shaw- and he knows what he is talking about, unlike the odd one or two in this topic.

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I agree, @Jeffrey Shaw- and he knows what he is talking about, unlike the odd one or two in this topic.

Qui Moi?

4 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Qui Moi?

You also qualify as a knowledgable contributor, Where have I said otherwise?😉:confused:

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

You also qualify as a knowledgable contributor, Where have I said otherwise?😉:confused:

thank you - as you did not state who you were taking aim at (perhaps understandably) i thought we could have a little fun as the thread reaches towards it 40th page and suggest who

10 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

thank you - as you did not state who you were taking aim at (perhaps understandably) i thought we could have a little fun as the thread reaches towards it 40th page and suggest who

The OP?  - although he has gone quiet? A certain ex-council employee?

I'd have to re-read the topic to find any further suggestions - which I won't be doing today as I have quite a bit to do and I'm a bit busy on another (tech) forum I help out on.

Seems SCC are now trying to get out of reopening Pinstone Street by claiming they got a grant to close it under "Active Travel Scheme" by Government. 

I seem to strongly remember the public and the bus operators being told that it was a temporary measure to maintain social distancing. 

The Active Travel scheme was the 2 ill-concieved narrowing of Shalesmoor and Attercliffe road, both of which have been removed despite SCC's claims that should any of the measures put in place be removed.

I could understand the 'Active Travel Scheme' excuse for the two failures, but Pinstone Street - really??

I am eagerly awaiting the results of the big debate that the Council were having yesterday about all of this. I read that the bus companies seem to like the diversion of the routes because it has speeded up their travel times through the City Centre by 5 minutes.  I could argue that this is because they are missing out big chunks of the City Centre - particularly when Carver/ Rockingham St is closed -  or that passengers just don’t want to walk to the Rockingham Street stop where the pavements are narrow and uneven, and the area just doesn’t feel safe. For the number 30 bus heading towards Crystal Peaks (the one I use most frequently) Rockingham Street is the only bus stop between  West Street and Arundel Gate so that is quite a long walk between stops, but it’s quite easy to see how a bus could speed up their travel times here.

49 minutes ago, Poll said:

I am eagerly awaiting the results of the big debate that the Council were having yesterday about all of this. I read that the bus companies seem to like the diversion of the routes because it has speeded up their travel times through the City Centre by 5 minutes.  I could argue that this is because they are missing out big chunks of the City Centre - particularly when Carver/ Rockingham St is closed -  or that passengers just don’t want to walk to the Rockingham Street stop where the pavements are narrow and uneven, and the area just doesn’t feel safe. For the number 30 bus heading towards Crystal Peaks (the one I use most frequently) Rockingham Street is the only bus stop between  West Street and Arundel Gate so that is quite a long walk between stops, but it’s quite easy to see how a bus could speed up their travel times here.

Given the circuitous routes that some buses seem to follow in town then there is a trade off between the speed and the convenience for customers