South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

@Andy CCouldn't agree more with all of the above, but if you copied it to all the entities you mention, my guess is the redponse would be either a deafening silence, or the usual 'it ain't our responsibility'.

Thats a long rant for what essentially could be summed up as "waaah waaah waaah I want buses to drop me off right on the door of where I want to go"

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Thats a long rant for what essentially could be summed up as "waaah waaah waaah I want buses to drop me off right on the door of where I want to go"

I disagree - it is a considered and reasonable examination of SCC's shambolic planning.

51 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I disagree - it is a considered and reasonable examination of SCC's shambolic planning.

Hmmm... :huh:

... I agree! :thumbsup: (with Mr Rolling)

Trouble is people on here see a reply longer than one sentence and they can't be bothered to read it... :roll:

7 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... I agree! :thumbsup: (with Mr Rolling)

Trouble is people on here see a reply longer than one sentence and they can't be bothered to read it... :roll:

Sometimes, just two words confuse 'em. :wink:

21 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I thought it was an excellent response and quite frankly I wonder if    HeHasRisen   even read the post. If the bus companies do not know where they are stopping then no chance for passengers and it is hard enough for them at the best of times. I await the views of the usual apologists for the PTE and transport companies

It is over a year now since Dan Jarvis published his review on our buses and I wonder just how many of the many recommendations have even been considered let alone implemented (Covid of course provides the ideal excuse but then of course if that is the case he could reconsider if he is capable of both being an effective mayor and an effective MP - answers in one line !)

Of course I read the post. It's just symptomatic of this forum and its obsession with buses. Buses being late. Buses not stopping near their house. Buses not stopping near where they want to go.

If you want a door to door service, get a taxi.

I think it was more a view on the incompetence of SCC/SYPTE to provision a service which meets peoples needs, rather than totally foul things up.

On 12/09/2021 at 13:38, HeHasRisen said:

It really isn't.

This is set to a back drop of Labour and Green politicians constantly telling everyone how bad the buses are (putting people off using them in the process) but how much better they would be if only the public sector ran them instead of private companies, however if you look what is ACTUALLY wrong with the passenger experience most of the problems are with areas the public sector is already responsible for and doing badly.

There is too much of a blinkered, departmentalised approach at  public sector organisations including the council and SYPTE where there is no joined up bigger picture thinking with projects including regenerating the City Centre. 

In the case of closing Pinstone Street/ Leopold Street to traffic and closing Carver Street on Friday and Saturday nights little thought has been given to what happens to the bus services when those roads are closed. That's someone else's problem.

Some people have made the issue about being dropped off close to destination for reasons of mobility, for me it is all about the quality of the public transport experience, about making using buses and trams to visit the City Centre attractive. That isn't entirely about location, its also about there being a shelter providing cover in bad weather, having a seat if there's a little bit of a wait until the bus is due, having live electronic timetable information to reassure you a bus is coming, feeling safe whilst waiting and being able to rely on the bus stop being where you expected it to be.

We had those things at the stops on Pinstone Street/Leopold Street. The replacement stops are just a pole and bus stop sign planted on the pavement in a dodgy part of town.  After a year and a half it can no longer be argued that they are temporary.

The private bus companies can supply nice shiny new or refurbished buses with comfy seats, phone chargers, next stop displays and the rest. They can run timetables where the advertised journey time is long enough to be reliable. They can charge reasonable fares. However if the council and SYPTE does not provide the road, bus stops and public information that is all rather pointless.

Edited by Andy C

Actually, @Andy C, at the speed SCC/SYPTE 'work' , the could be temporary, in a 5-year programme of 'improvements'.

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Actually, @Andy C, at the speed SCC/SYPTE 'work' , the could be temporary, in a 5-year programme of 'improvements'.

I'm afraid you are probably bang on there.

There is a project to provide permanent replacement bus facilities. Went out to public consultation a year after the road and stops were closed and as far as I can see the project is currently at the stage of awaiting planning permission!

https://sheffnews.com/news/plans-submitted-for-new-pocket-park-in-the-heart-of-sheffield

9 minutes ago, Andy C said:

I'm afraid you are probably bang on there.

There is a project to provide permanent replacement bus facilities. Went out to public consultation a year after the road and stops were closed and as far as I can see the project is currently at the stage of awaiting planning permission!

https://sheffnews.com/news/plans-submitted-for-new-pocket-park-in-the-heart-of-sheffield

So the council can't even get its own projects 'approved' - at least - no timescale for implementation - in a reasonable period. You couldn't make it up! (Or could you?)

EDIT - but how is a plan to provide replacement facilities at that location going to help those who want Fargate/The Moor/Castlegate &c?

Edited by RollingJ
Added comment