South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

I see Sheffield Online on FB has posted the moans of a pair of bus passenger today regarding the diversions in place

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consumer/sheffield-doesnt-cater-for-disabled-people-furious-couple-slam-city-centre-bus-diversions-3223349

As usual the comments on FB full of illuminating nonsense, such as bemoaning why all buses dont stop at the bus station (which is right at the bottom of the hill)

Of course, a mode of transport exists if you want to get much closer to your final destination: it's called a "taxi", maybe this moaning couple can start using them, as well as the OP of this thread who I recall regularly starts threads expecting buses to be a personal taxi service, and never comes back to them.

Edited by HeHasRisen

HeHasRisen - have you ever tried using a taxi with someone in a wheelchair?  When I travelled with my Mother who was using a wheelchair, the taxi driver did not secure the wheelchair properly and as we went around a corner the wheelchair started to tip up. I had to keep my feet on the wheels for the rest of the journey.  This frightened my Mum who never wants to travel in a taxi again, even if I was willing to accompany her. Further, in my opinion, the cost of a regular taxi is prohibitive. 

Never, ever use FB as a source of 'news', but that 'Star' story is quite valid, although a little 'embellished' for effect. There are still a hell of a lot of facilities/shops/w.h.y. in the city centre and getting to them now slower - the 'temporary' (now permanent) closure of Pinstone Street is just one example of - IMHO - typical bad planning.

My home-bound stop in the city centre is now located on Arundel Gate - no shelter, narrower pavement than High Street and further away from anywhere I am likely to be when in the city - not that often, but I do have to go in at least once a fortnight. Suppose I should look on the bright side though - if I'm coming from Sheffield Rail Station, at least I don't have to get to High Street.

21 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I see Sheffield Online on FB has posted the moans of a pair of bus passenger today regarding the diversions in place

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consumer/sheffield-doesnt-cater-for-disabled-people-furious-couple-slam-city-centre-bus-diversions-3223349

As usual the comments on FB full of illuminating nonsense, such as bemoaning why all buses dont stop at the bus station (which is right at the bottom of the hill)

Of course, a mode of transport exists if you want to get much closer to your final destination: it's called a "taxi", maybe this moaning couple can start using them, as well as the OP of this thread who I recall regularly starts threads expecting buses to be a personal taxi service, and never comes back to them.

9 minutes ago, Poll said:

HeHasRisen - have you ever tried using a taxi with someone in a wheelchair?  When I travelled with my Mother who was using a wheelchair, the taxi driver did not secure the wheelchair properly and as we went around a corner the wheelchair started to tip up. I had to keep my feet on the wheels for the rest of the journey.  This frightened my Mum who never wants to travel in a taxi again, even if I was willing to accompany her. Further, in my opinion, the cost of a regular taxi is prohibitive. 

One experience of one person in a taxi isn't representative of the general experience of the wheelchair-bound publics use of taxis, I am sure.

Yes I agree taxis cost more. They also take you door to door, or as close as a car can get to Door A and/or Door B anyway. You can't have the penny and the bun imo.

If its now an issue for them, other opticians and banks are available that wont require visits into the City Centre., people can vote with their feet or wheels.

Edited by HeHasRisen

20 hours ago, Poll said:

It is impossible for any bus service to replicate what can be done by private car or taxi and naive to even expect it. I am sure there are plenty who might be able to report a negative experience with a bus trip (Once you had identified that your mother was not secured properly why did you not ask the driver to stop and rectify the issue )

The article in the Star (which Sheffield Online copied and pasted) involved a wheelchair user who catches the 88 bus from Firth Park and goes to Orchard Square.  Before the council made the changes, the 88 used to operate via Townhead Street and Leopold Street, stopping right outside Orchard Square. 

With that route closed off by the council, the bus now goes to a "temporary" stop on Arundel Gate. The main point being made was it was difficult for wheelchair users as a hill is now involved along with other little details like the "temporary" stop has no shelter or seat.

There are alternatives - they could get off the 88 in the Haymarket/Fitzalan Square area and get a connecting bus or tram up to Church Street/Cathedral, but obviously that is all extra hassle. 

I think the main point is that the council in their City Centre planning has given no thought to it being an attractive destination by public transport, which is a shame given that greener travel is supposed to be on the agenda at the moment.

it is unfortunate however that they use of one micro journey I am sure with any change there will be winners and losers.

Andy I agree with your last para - sums it up perfectly and a bit like the cycle lanes that were deemed to be valuable when cars were off the road and now as traffic builds up they are removing them (just noticed the ones in Corby Street Attercliffe seem to have gone recently) ill though out

Also regarding using Taxis, I got my Uber account back last year (thanks Office Laura :D ) and I know that they charge triple fares between 08.00 and 09.00 due to the school runs, and after 17.00 it's also triple fares, and also between 14.30 and 16.00 I think, also due to the schools chucking out.

I also know from old that booking a Taxi from any reputable firm during the 8 while 9 school run period is like pulling teeth unless you get up at daft o'clock and book early.

I see no problem whatsoever with them charging more when demand high and they will no doubt be stuck in trafic providing it is clear what the cost will be when you book

On 09/05/2021 at 12:08, Bigal1 said:

I see no problem whatsoever with them charging more when demand high and they will no doubt be stuck in trafic providing it is clear what the cost will be when you book

I think the UBER pricing model is generally well known now - at normal times they are cheaper than other taxis but increase the price when busy. All is app based and price is quoted before you book. Generally I look at UBER first, if there is surge pricing in force I then look at City or Network taxis instead.

Edited by Andy C

And that relates to the topic of South Yorkshire's buses because...?

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

17 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

And that relates to the topic of South Yorkshire's buses because...?

please wait still thinking..........................

..........................Sorry haven't got a clue