South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

6 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Sheffield isn't Manchester.

Sheffield's buses operate as part of a partnership and all are on one map (link previously posted) and day & weekly passes that work on everything are available.

Spending tax payers money on a free bus doing loops of the City Centre is not a high priority in my mind when more bread and butter parts of Sheffield's public transport infrastructure is suffering from a lack of funding. Lets get the journey to/from the City Centre more attractive first.

Agree entirely, @Andy C.👍

On 01/05/2021 at 13:10, Andy C said:

Oldies have free bus passes so can use the normal buses and trams.

From the rail/bus station to Arundel Gate - bus 95/95a runs regular

From the rail/bus station to High Street and West Street - tram or 120 bus

From the bus station to Angel Street/Castlegate - 57, X17, X78

From the bus/rail station to Moorfoot - 56, 218, 272

From Arundel Gate to Moorfoot - 20,24,25,43,44,75,76,81,82.83,83a,88

To/from Pinstone Street - road closed.

The only bit of route the Freebee did that was unique was the road up from Arundel Gate to the town hall past the Crucible theatre and Winter Gardens.  As Pinstone Street is now closed this is no longer possible.

Yeah when we were natives of lower Walkley up to about 23 and half years ago, I used to catch the 95 from Bole Hill Road all the time, and sometimes, when I was younger and able to walk further, I'd venture up the hill and catch the 52 from Heavygate Road.

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

And most people in their 60's are probably fitter than those in their 20's.

As to your 'need a round the town' comment - where round the town? If you mean city centres, a large number are pedestrianised anyway - so no buses.

"And most people in their 60's are probably fitter than those in their 20's." Evidence?

The idea is that the centre is pedestrianized and around it is a bus route with stops at the cardinal points and links to transport hubs and places with high current and future demand.

3 hours ago, Andy C said:

Sheffield isn't Manchester.

Sheffield's buses operate as part of a partnership and all are on one map (link previously posted) and day & weekly passes that work on everything are available.

You can split Sheffield City Centre into 3 zones of interest now really - The Moor, West Street/Division Street and bus/rail station.

There are 2 main transport corridors in the City Centre, which is partly down to the current road layouts - Arundel Gate to Moorfoot and Fitzalan Square to University plus links to/from the bus station. All already have high frequency buses plus we have the tram from the station up to the University which is very handy for those arriving by train.

Spending tax payers money on a free bus doing loops of the City Centre is not a high priority in my mind when more bread and butter parts of Sheffield's public transport infrastructure is suffering from a lack of funding. Lets get the journey to/from the City Centre more attractive first.

Any split must include all areas of the City Centre as they are of interest to all.

Ignoring the majority of the city centre is foolish.

The commercial  ribbon than emerged post-war from Wicker to Moorfoot was seen as detrimental and unsustainable since the 1970s.

Some of the planning then involved zoning the city centre by use. Some has been done.

What remains constant in the original view and in modifications up to the present day, is the unsatisfactory nature of the transport infrastructure in and around our City Centre.

There are umpteen reasons why it has not been resolved.

By holding out for a "magic bullet" we have forgotten a simple, popular, flexible and very cheap option- a little bus that goes round and round.

Indeed Manchester is not Sheffield -they have three Free Bus routes around the centre and a tram system that has access to a substantial  parts of the centre.

The Centre needs a boost,  money is short and priorities must be decided.

I would gladly part trade in my £2 00/£2 10 bus fare and a choice of  20+ buses an hour for a hop on hop off service in the centre.

Does anyone know a good Bus route between S3 and Whirlow Hall Farm? Which according to Google Maps is in the vicinity of Ecclesall Road South?

Edited by Mr Allen
Removing the H from Ecclesall, I don't want to upset the posh folk up there! :D

8 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"And most people in their 60's are probably fitter than those in their 20's." Evidence?

The idea is that the centre is pedestrianized and around it is a bus route with stops at the cardinal points and links to transport hubs and places with high current and future demand.

Just going on my family and friends, I admit but certainly those in my family in their late 50s/60s are more active and less likely to jump on a bus for two stops than their children. Two of my friends - 69 and 71 years old still RUN daily, even in winter and get agitated when really foul weather makes it a foolhardy idea.

Not that I'm a big 'city' visitor - rather enjoy the countryside - but when I do venture that way, I don't encounter problems getting around.

14 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Does anyone know a good Bus route between S3 and Whirlow Hall Farm? Which according to Google Maps is in the vicinity of Ecclesall Road South?

You'll have to switch buses in the city centre to the 81/82/83 and then use your legs I'm afraid - no buses go any closer than Ecclesall Road South.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

You'll have to switch buses in the city centre to the 81/82/83 and then use your legs I'm afraid - no buses go any closer than Ecclesall Road South.

Last time I went up there it's quite a big hill from the Bus stop, so if I go I might book an Uber.

4 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Last time I went up there it's quite a big hill from the Bus stop, so if I go I might book an Uber.

The hill won't have moved, I'm afraid. :wink: . Must admit it isn't an area I'm that familiar with, although it is fairly close to me - walkable, even.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

The hill won't have moved, I'm afraid. :wink: . Must admit it isn't an area I'm that familiar with, although it is fairly close to me - walkable, even.

Yeah but with respect mate you're not disabled with walking problems, I am :(

Sorry, @Mr Allen, I wasn't suggesting you walked it, and I appreciate you have mobility problems from previous posts. Some places just don't have a close-by bus route, especially as you get to the outskirts of the city.

My initial comment was said as a joke (notice the wink)

Edited by RollingJ

I used the Freebee quite often as I could get off the 30 bus at Commercial Street and get the Freebee down to my office at Moorfoot. I was sad when it stopped. However, it seems to me that if Leopold Street and Pinstone Street were reopened to buses, it would solve a few problems for people being able to access the shops more easily. The bus stops at Rockingham Street are too far away for people with heavy shopping, mobility problems etc. More important, though, we were told that Pinstone and Leopold Street were closed to allow for distancing but pedestrians and buses are now being forced onto narrower pavements and roads. 

That is what SCC call 'improving your access to the city centre'  - NOT.