South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I bet there have been a few fact finding visits though. 

Yeah - to Florida, Jamaica and other 'nice' places.

5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

East/West Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey springs to mind as I have said before - an area I probably know better than Yorkshire/Derbyshire - because the councils/bus operators down there do co-operate much better, and I have able to use almost any operator (bar Stagecoach) on just one ticket.

AND there are no PTEs in the area.

Good news, since you last travelled the Discovery bus ticket superseded the Explorer ticket in 2015 allowing travel on Stagecoach South and Stagecoach Southeast. It is also valid in Kent. Unlike its South Yorkshire it is not valid on trains and is more expensive.

The latest Bus Passenger Survey (autumn 2019) by TransportFocus includes comparison between 'PTEs' and between 'PTEs' and Councils. South Yorkshire scores well amongst the 'PTEs' and the 'PTEs' averages are higher than Council averages.

A comparison between nationally branded bus companies has Stagecoach consistently scoring higher than First nationally but pretty marginal here.

Our 'PTE' since 2016 has seen improvements in all 27 measured 'satisfaction' criteria.

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Good news, since you last travelled the Discovery bus ticket superseded the Explorer ticket in 2015 allowing travel on Stagecoach South and Stagecoach Southeast. It is also valid in Kent. Unlike its South Yorkshire it is not valid on trains and is more expensive.

The latest Bus Passenger Survey (autumn 2019) by TransportFocus includes comparison between 'PTEs' and between 'PTEs' and Councils. South Yorkshire scores well amongst the 'PTEs' and the 'PTEs' averages are higher than Council averages.

A comparison between nationally branded bus companies has Stagecoach consistently scoring higher than First nationally but pretty marginal here.

Our 'PTE' since 2016 has seen improvements in all 27 measured 'satisfaction' criteria.

Actually, I was down there waaaay after 2015 and I apologise, I forgot it was also valid in Kent, as I haven't used it there. I also never specified what the ticket was called, although I know it is the 'Discovery' - weirdly enough, for some reason I found the last one I purchased in 2019 when sorting my 'travelling bag' a few weeks back .

I am aware it it is not valid on trains down there, but if I wanted to use trains, instead of buses, I would purchase an equivalent train ticket - they do exist, BTW.  It covers a much wider area than the SY ticket, and is valid on more operators than the SY ticket, so I would expect it to cost more.

I was comparing Stagecoach in the South with more than just First, who are not as active down there anyway. Gawd knows how  SYPTE has managed improvements, because I've not noticed any,

The issue is not so much the PTE or another organisation but the skills,experience. vision and competency of the staff and management employed. One problem making changes would be that the same staff would be re-employed with no doubt a new "Head"

I remember many years ago now in a past life sitting in on  presentations from all the PTEs about their strategies and I can say that SYPTE was by far the poorest even then

Edited by Bigal1

7 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

The issue is not so much the PTE or another organisation but the skills,experience. vision and competency of the staff and management employed. One problem making changes would be that the same staff would be re-employed with no doubt a new "Head"

I remember many years ago now in a past life sitting in on  presentations from all the PTEs about their strategies and I can say that SYPTE was by far the poorest even then

Exactly, @Bigal1- they have been incompetent from the start, because the initial composition and direction of the Executive  was wrong, and they have spectacularly failed to rectify the problems, even after all these years.

So for those that thought once we started to return to normal that the council would reopen leopold & pinstone St to buses, as most of us suspected they have fully pedestrianised it and have no plans to reverse it. 

Furthermore the lower section of Carver St is to be closed also, which is where buses were diverted due to the pinstone St closure. 

The puppet masters at the University continue to get their way. 

I know the bus companies have tried to fight these changes but the pte didn't stand with them. 

34 minutes ago, Resident said:

So for those that thought once we started to return to normal that the council would reopen leopold & pinstone St to buses, as most of us suspected they have fully pedestrianised it and have no plans to reverse it. 

Furthermore the lower section of Carver St is to be closed also, which is where buses were diverted due to the pinstone St closure. 

The puppet masters at the University continue to get their way. 

I know the bus companies have tried to fight these changes but the pte didn't stand with them. 

Now why does that not surprise me in the least?

5 hours ago, Resident said:

Great news!

i was in the city centre yesterday, loads of people around!

Looking forward to what we can do with all that space now we don't need it for a few buses and taxis

(which still have access to West street, high street, Arundel gate, Furnival gate, Leopold, Norfolk, etc.)

Edited by ads36

5 hours ago, ads36 said:

Great news!

i was in the city centre yesterday, loads of people around!

Looking forward to what we can do with all that space now we don't need it for a few buses and taxis

(which still have access to West street, high street, Arundel gate, Furnival gate, Leopold, Norfolk, etc.)

Watch business that relied on the footfall brought to their doorstep by public transport wither and die ?

Guest busdriver1
13 hours ago, Resident said:

Watch business that relied on the footfall brought to their doorstep by public transport wither and die ?

The aim of the council seems to be to create the best city centre in the country. By removing the poor, infirm, elderly and non cyclists is the route they have chosen to achieve this. 

To be honest there is little if anything to attract me there as it is. The means of doing so does not change that. Coffee shops and artisan food shops have no real interest for me . I need a reason to visit and there is none. Maybe that should be looked at......

19 hours ago, Resident said:

Pretty much. Says a lot when even Meadowhall is better connected and catered by public transport than the city centre. SCC seem hell bent on turning all roads into cycle ways... How long before the Parkway has 1 lane removed for a cycle super highway?  :hihi::hihi: