South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

10 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I'm afraid you are missing the nature of today's kids, sadly.

The only reason they get dressed in a morning is that our species has not evolved sufficiently to have a body pouch to put their smartphone in.  Carrying a bus pass or pen is too much for many of them!

Sadly, I ain't missing the nature of today's kids - or their parents. It's all me, me,me, and sod the rest of the world.

Edited by RollingJ

The kids are learning from their grandparents who are showing everybody the way on protecting their freebies.

Free bus, free tram, free TV, subsidized train, inflation proofed income and whatever else and paid for by everybody elses taxes.

NB I will completely change my mind in August when I get my bus pass, so lets drop all this hypocrisy.

11 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The kids are learning from their grandparents who are showing everybody the way on protecting their freebies.

Free bus, free tram, free TV, subsidized train, inflation proofed income and whatever else and paid for by everybody elses taxes.

NB I will completely change my mind in August when I get my bus pass, so lets drop all this hypocrisy.

@Annie Bynnol- We are not talking here about 'protecting' anything, rather the assumption by some that they don't need to carry the proof of entitlement, and can act like screaming toddlers when someone has the guts to tell them 'no proof, you pay the going rate'.

Yes, you get free bus travel, tram (in SY), discounted train - if you purchase the relevant discount card. However, the TV licence, AFAIK is being discontinued, and I'd be interested to know what the 'whatever else's' are, too.

Why begrudge a one year temporary boost to help the under the 22s out of the Covid mess which has hit their prospects particularly badly?

Why all the lame excuses for not helping others? Does it come down to labeling all young people as unworthy because of a few? Have we forgotten so quickly how bad things really were?  Why this enmity for young people you don't know?  

What is the real problem behind not wanting to help the new carers, health workers, makers and doers that we are desperately in need of?

We can clap- we can also put our hands in our pockets to help the next lot on their feet. 

ENCTS is free and gets you discounted train fares in SY and is paid for by taxpayers-including children and young people.

A Senior Railcard is purely commercial and not paid for by taxpayers of any age.

Some 'whatever else's' :

Non means tested freebies like winter fuel payment, free eye tests, some free dental care, free prescriptions etc. and dozens of means tested benefits. 

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

The driver ain't a 'jobsworth' @busdriver1, although I appreciate that you didn't mean it that way. What is so hard about making sure you have card/pass with you if you intend to travel by public transport, or am I missing something?

My description of a jobsworth was how I predict the front page headline in the star and a mirroring thread on here. 

Carrying passes is compulsory for all over 11s. Watch them when they get on and see how many show them. 

This is because they have had it drummed into them that they can't be left so don't feel the need.  The " they know their rights"  brigade. 

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Why begrudge a one year temporary boost to help the under the 22s out of the Covid mess which has hit their prospects particularly badly?

Why all the lame excuses for not helping others? 

Have a think. There is a large proportion of the population who unlike the NHS staff,  have been on reduced means for a year now. I think most of them would like to see the council being a bit more thoughtful about how they spend their ( our) money. 

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

ENCTS is free

Only at the point of use. It is by far the most expensive travel concession this country has ever had but is still paid to operators at a loss making level. 

The folks getting it seem to think it's a saving club they have paid into for years. 

Wrong. They paid a much lower level than now towards the lesser levels being offered when they were working but expect taxpayers to pay a lot more for what they are getting now. 

We need to go back to pass holders paying a nominal sum to top up what the operators are NOT getting and help balance the books. This would also reduce the folks using it for 1 or 2 stops when they are capable of walking.  

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

@Annie Bynnol- We are not talking here about 'protecting' anything, rather the assumption by some that they don't need to carry the proof of entitlement, and can act like screaming toddlers when someone has the guts to tell them 'no proof, you pay the going rate'.

The pass is not as some folks think , a proof of age document. It is a proof of entitlement to the concession. Residence as well as age is a factor. 

Also some have had their passes revoked for abuse so are not entitled to the concession but drivers are told not to challenge non showing of passes so that has little or no effect. 

We are soft. 

Edited by busdriver1

15 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

We need to go back to pass holders paying a nominal sum to top up what the operators are NOT getting and help balance the books. This would also reduce the folks using it for 1 or 2 stops when they are capable of walking.  

Wholeheartedly agree with that one. There are a few oldies that think they should pay something. 

The problem being is that PTE likes to keep money for itself rather than putting it where the government intended it to go. If pass holders start paying a small sum then PTE will reduce the subsidy.

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, Resident said:

Wholeheartedly agree with that one. There are a few oldies that think they should pay something. 

The problem being is that PTE likes to keep money for itself rather than putting it where the government intended it to go. If pass holders start paying a small sum then PTE will reduce the subsidy.

You know, that is correct, I had forgotten about that and you are SOOO correct.

6 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

My description of a jobsworth was how I predict the front page headline in the star and a mirroring thread on here. 

Carrying passes is compulsory for all over 11s. Watch them when they get on and see how many show them. 

This is because they have had it drummed into them that they can't be left so don't feel the need.  The " they know their rights"  brigade. 

I thought that was what you meant, which is exactly what I am entirely expecting, sadly.

When I used to do a lot of travel, prior to the current situation, I made sure I had the 'proof of entitlement' with me, and on the very rare occasion I didn't, I paid the appropriate fare -my fault I didn't have the pass, so up to me to rectify the error.

No bus service needs improvement.  Buses like high-street shops now firmly belong in the dustbins of history.  Subsidized electric bikes and segregated bicycle lanes with other required necessary infrastructure is what we need to plan for.  And state-run taxi services for the obeast and disabled.

6 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

No bus service needs improvement.  Buses like high-street shops now firmly belong in the dustbins of history.  Subsidized electric bikes and segregated bicycle lanes with other required necessary infrastructure is what we need to plan for.  And state-run taxi services for the obeast and disabled.

Not everyone wishes to ride bikes - electric or otherwise, especially in adverse weather or over long distances, there are some who can't due to age or infirmity/medical conditions and it is disingenuous to suggest that mass transport has had its day. State-run (i.e.paid from your taxes) for the obese or disabled are a bad use of resources.