South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

We want are Bus Service Improved Quicky,because you can never get to the place you want on time,because of the attitude towards bus passengers by the bus drivers,you want to get some where and you catch a bus on time,then all of a sudden the driver pulls into a stop for a cigarette or a rest then your way behind the time,but if the bus driver knew someone on the bus he would definetly not stop  like they do,it just shows the people in charge are not checking up on these drivers correctly,and the Roads in Sheffield full of cars because of there is not Trust at All in or Bus Service at All,we never had this before so why do these Drivers getting away with it to often,just had this today,driver  stops outside the Crucible for 6 minutes then gets to Queens Road and then stops for another 6 minutes,just wish  they realise people want to get home

Edited by nikki-red
  • Thanks 1

I was going to say, when they are pulling into a stop off midway through a route it's usually because they need to regulate service times. 

It's exactly the reason why tube trains sometimes stop for a few minutes at stations before moving on.

When you are talking about "getting somewhere on time" are you talking about in line with a published timetable or your own interpretation.   

I very much doubt that drivers are doing this stuff on a whim. The days are Blakey and Butler are long gone.  Buses these days are fitted with trackers and monitors and radio control and cameras.  Those in charge will be able to know exactly where they are and where they need to be at the click of a mouse.  It's a bus not taxi and it runs to a schedule. 

If you want door-to-door on your own clock then you need to find an alternative.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Exactly, ECCOnoob - I bet the OP would complain if they got to a stop on time only to be told 'Oh, he went past 5 minutes ago, they'd still complain.

Thank you the bus drivers of Sheffield  and  Baslow  for the service you have provided in these difficult times.

36 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I was going to say, when they are pulling into a stop off midway through a route it's usually because they need to regulate service times. 

This. You notice it a lot more on early morning services where there's little traffic around. Some drivers will drive at maybe 20mph tops because it means it'll take longer and keep them on schedule.

I totally agree with all bar the OP, who will presumably now better understand how the bus companies work with timetables etc. 

My occasional grouse is the other side of the coin - when busses pass my stop early.  A few years ago I reported one service for repeatedly doing this, but nothing happened until I deliberately got there early, kept my ticket, then went in person to them in Pond Street/Interchange, reported it again, then provided my ticket as evidence.  I assume it was followed up as that service (no longer operating due to route changes) improved markedly.

Due to unpredictable traffic, unknown passenger numbers etc, it is impossible for busses to  run exactly on time. 

I agree with RollingJ that most of us would far rather have a bus turn up 5 minutes late than leave 5 minutes early (especially on one-an-hour services and the like).

Overall, I think the bus companies are continuing to provide a great service to us all in these particularly trying time, and are to be congratulated for their ongoing efforts.

Guest busdriver1

Here we go again. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. 

A perfect example of a Sheffield bus passenger. 

People like him are the reason bus companies struggle to recruit and retain staff. 

To elaborate. Buses are monitored remotely and any bus passing a stop early gets flagged up and is investigated. 

As for buses passing stops early, that all depends if it is a timing point. 

Many stops just display estimated timings and these are just that. ESTIMATED timings, buses can quite legitimately pass these before the estimated time. 

Often, a switched on driver will happily pass an estimated stop early if he knows there are issues before the next timing point. That way he can maintain the correct timings at the observed timing points. 

To check if your stop is a timing point look at the timetable. Only timing points are shown in the timetable. That is what determines if a bus is Late or not. 

Difficult I know but some locals seem to manage. 

They’re called timing points and are listed clearly on published timetables for each route. No different to trains or trams etc, buses can’t leave these stops early and they are there to regulate services.

Stops located between those listed on the main timetable are only estimated arrival times.

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I totally agree with all bar the OP, who will presumably now better understand how the bus companies work with timetables etc.

Do you honestly think so?  

If only. 

16 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Do you honestly think so?  

If only. 

The optimistic part of me thinks so - and I know that the information in the thread is being read by many readers (including the OP) who are being given information they may not have known on this area - and that can only be a good thing.

@Thirsty RelicThe OP is a serial complainer on this subject, any amount of information will not silence them, unfortunately.

As ECCOnoob said in his original answer - if you want transport that runs to your timetable - get a taxi, or your own car.