Belmore Road, Woodhouse

I've been doing a bit (well a lot) of family tree research recently and my Grandfather lived in the early 1900's on Belmore Road in Woodhouse.

Looking on maps said road does not seem to exist anymore, presumably either the name was changed when Woodhouse became a district of Sheffield in 1932, or the road has disappeared during re-development.

Does anyone know where it used to be ?  

Hi Ethella. My wife's family have been in Woodhouse for a few generations. Myself for a few years also. We are not familiar with Belmore Road but misheard or badly written could it be Balmoral Road.

It's clearly written on the 1911 census in my Great Grandfather's own hand as Belmore Road.

I've seen the name mentioned on a couple of other documents.

Quite a few family members lived on Talbot Road in Woodhouse.  That road name doesn't now exist either.   It took me a while to work out that the road name was changed after 1932 to Tilford Road.  

Talbot Road was previously known as Buck Croft in the 1800's.

I'm assuming that a name change has happened with Belmore Road.

• Like 1

The 1922 OS map of Woodhouse shows Belmore Rd where Balmoral Rd is today.

Thank you.  I've been trying to find copies of old OS maps of Woodhouse without success.

50 minutes ago, Ethella said:

Thank you.  I've been trying to find copies of old OS maps of Woodhouse without success.

Here is an old OS map of the area. In his book "Street Names of Sheffield" the late Peter Harvey wrote that Balmoral Road "was built in the 1890s on land that was once church-owned, and was first called Belmoor Road. When Woodhouse became part of Sheffield in 1920 it was changed because it duplicated Belmoor Road, Sheffield 9." Peter evidently didn't notice that there was in fact a slight difference in the spelling.

Woodhouse-1914.jpg

I've always thought that you could rely on the great Peter Harvey for getting his facts right.  Just shows that he was only Human (occassionally) like the rest of us.

I've had in my head for a long time that Handsworth became part of Sheffield in the 1920's (1926) and Woodhouse in the 1930's (1932).

But just googled it and apparently both joined in 1921.   I will never stop learning.

49 minutes ago, Ethella said:

I've always thought that you could rely on the great Peter Harvey for getting his facts right.  Just shows that he was only Human (occassionally) like the rest of us.

I've had in my head for a long time that Handsworth became part of Sheffield in the 1920's (1926) and Woodhouse in the 1930's (1932).

But just googled it and apparently both joined in 1921.   I will never stop learning.

On the John Cary 1787 series of English county maps, Woodhouse is marked as ‘Hansworth Woodhouse’.

Hi, 

A bit late to the topic, but I’m writing a book about my Grandma Emily Smart/White’s life in Woodhouse. She was born in 1902 on Talbot Rd and lived in later years on Skelton Lane in the old cottages.  If you have any more stories about the area I’d love to hear them. 
luckily, I have lots of letters and bits of grandma’s plus dads memories, so have a massive fascination with the area. 
thanks

Gill  

Hi Gilly,

My great grandmother lived on Talbot Rd about that time, it was one of the poorest parts in Woodhouse, many of the houses were back-to-back houses, I hear stories of families banging on their back fireplace to let the neighbours know the debt collector was coming round. I have a history of Woodhouse, possibly written by someone called LeTall, that has loads of interesting stuff about each year through the 1800s into the 1900s, dealing with the slow progress of electricity to reach the village, the many miner's strikes, the agricultural success of various years, the coming of different religious movements. I remember LeTall mentions how the occupants of Talbot Rd were in particular need of salvation.

The Skelton Lane cottages, were they opposite the old library? If so both sides of my family lived there too at different times, at number 4, Richard Shaw from 1891 and Luther Ellis in the 1930s. The cottages were owned by the Hall's who had a large bakery in the village centre.

I'll ask my mum if she knows of the Smart/White family, as she stayed in the cottages in the 1930 and 40s.

On 25/11/2023 at 08:50, GillyDW said:

Hi, 

A bit late to the topic, but I’m writing a book about my Grandma Emily Smart/White’s life in Woodhouse. She was born in 1902 on Talbot Rd and lived in later years on Skelton Lane in the old cottages.  If you have any more stories about the area I’d love to hear them. 
luckily, I have lots of letters and bits of grandma’s plus dads memories, so have a massive fascination with the area. 
thanks

Gill  

If it's the same White family from Skelton lane then my dad was in the same class as Colin White, he was still going out for a pint with him until about 15 years ago.

Colin's mother made artificial flowers and my grandparents had a vase of them on their living room wall. She often sat on her front step to talk to passers by. She kept it up after the cottages were demolished and she moved into the flats, my mother used to stop and talk to her.

I believe the White family were sometimes visited by a very famous singer or comedian, who made a long trip especially, but I don't remember the name.

Interesting,

Although from Swallownest, 1940-1968, Driffield near Bridlington 1968 - start of 2007 and from the start of 2007 to here, Malaysia I have some information about Balmoral Road and Woodhouse generally.

Halfway down on the right was the house of Jim Maxwell, who had a Coach, later his son Nobby joined in once he could drive and finished his national service.

2 or 3 doors down lived a family by the name of Willy Brooks and his wife, they were the parents of Ken Brooks who married my mothers younger sister, Hilda Marshall. Ken was in the army during WW2

In the same yard of 4 no houses, the bottom one was the Finlay family, son called Trevor - they had the betting shop in Woodhouse

My father lived on Sheffield Road until he married my mother in 1939, his family name Hutchinson

Hope this information is helpful

Best Wishes and Bon Chance