Bearded Vulture In Peak District

23 hours ago, Longcol said:

Even though the bird only feeds on the bones of dead animals.

And tortoises. It picks them up from the ground and drops them on rocks. It does the same with bones, to make them a more manageable size.

tried to see a few weeks ago when it was roosting on Abbey Brook.

Went on two days but no luck.

Met a guy from Bedford on 1 day and one from Aberdeen on the second. He had absolutely great photos, one where it was heading for him like a bloody Lancaster. The other showed its beard from the side, and at first he thought it had something in its mouth. Didn't stay long - was getting bitten like hell! Insufficient patience to stay for hours.

i notice that Crowden has 2 valleys northwards, one with Pennine Way (crowden great brook) and another has Crowden Little Brook roughly parallel to the east.

Which is it possibly roosting on?

Edited by FORE

Hey up folks. Can we resist in advertising the precise location of the vulture. Don't want some idiot having a shot at it !!

18 hours ago, Runningman said:

Hey up folks. Can we resist in advertising the precise location of the vulture. Don't want some idiot having a shot at it !!

Sorry if that's targetted at me. Understand.

Think it will have sufficient 'body guards' watching.

1 hour ago, FORE said:

It's all over social media where it's roosting and hunting. I think a lot of birders are worried about it being poisoned. Red kites, buzzards and a pet dog have died in Upper Nidderdale, due to a poisoned carcass laid on a grouse moor.

4 hours ago, FORE said:

Good evening Fore, no I wasn't in any way annoyed with you, just hope that magnificent bird comes to no harm !

48 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Good evening Fore, no I wasn't in any way annoyed with you, just hope that magnificent bird comes to no harm !

Me too!

Understand entirely.

Like others I would like to see.

However despite walking a lot in the dark peak, I can't be bothered going to the same place too frequently, when we are spoilt for choice of local isolated hills.

I HAVE noticed fewer birds of prey this last 5-6 years.

Moorland Monitors have an interesting website.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/bird-prey-killed-after-suffering-seizure-following-suspected-poisoning-north-yorkshire-2951183

I cannot understand the desire in some people to kill wild animals.

Surely there should be far more enjoyment in watching them ,and to indiscriminately kill raptors to provide more grouse to shoot is beyond my comprehension.

It's now roaming Lincolnshire. 

https://www.4vultures.org/bearded-vulture-resurfaces-in-lincolnshire/

Also reported to be in Peterborough. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/11/bone-crunching-vulture-makes-pit-stop-peterborough-road/

Edited by Baron99

Had a few visit from a Sparrowhawk - seems partial to pigeons,, taken out 3 allready