Bearded Vulture In Peak District

There has been no mention of this for a few days on the SBSG site.

Anyone know if it has returned south,hopefully in good condition,or possibly sighted elsewhere in the U.K.?

Think it's now in the Woodhead region  - Crowden. Still ok as far as I know.

Here's another Guardian article dated 18/08/20.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/18/country-diary-bearded-vulture-awesome-predator-appears-peak-district

I'm guessing it's not still around, even though the Guardian piece is written as though it is?  Think we'd have seen more on it on local news stories? 

And I know that birds of prey are famed for their eye sight but Griffon vultures flying around the Netherlands, (see the link), at 22,000ft able to see the Peak District about 350 miles away?   Hmmm? 

Think that's stretching journalistic credibility a bit given that the journalist doesn't appear to have given any consideration for the curvature of the Earth?  "For an observer atop Mount Everest (8,848 metres (29,029 ft) in altitude), the horizon is at a distance of 336 kilometres (209 ml)."  Sloppy journalism. 

Vultures can apparently see a carcass from 4 miles away:

https://seaworld.org/animals/facts/birds/vultures/

Edited by Baron99

The bearded vulture was roosting above Howden reservoir for about 3 weeks and was relatively easy to spot, and it attracted plenty of birdwatching enthusiasts. About 2 weeks ago it relocated to near Crowden/ Torside reservoir, and it is still there as far as I know. There's been plenty of coverage/ discussion on social media and the local/national press.

Four years ago we camped in France in the Jonte Gorge (Massif Central) where vultures (griffon and bearded) were reintroduced some years ago. It was a bit disconcerting in the camp swimming pool to see them circling above...........................

Local farmers weren't happy about proposals to re-introduce the wolf though.

That’s a terrific photo.

What an impressive visitor

I bet that the gamekeepers trigger fingers are getting itchy. They've managed to wipe out most of the birds of prey in the Peak District, especially where grouse are shot.

7 hours ago, melv said:

I bet that the gamekeepers trigger fingers are getting itchy. They've managed to wipe out most of the birds of prey in the Peak District, especially where grouse are shot.

Even though the bird only feeds on the bones of dead animals.

21 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Even though the bird only feeds on the bones of dead animals.

Why let facts get in the way of self-righteous indignation?