Best Fish For My Pond

To save me looking through all the posts on here, could someone tell me please where in Sheffield or round about is the best place to buy pond fish.

I only have a few goldfish at the moment and have found that there are a number of fish that will survive in an outdoor pond

i.e.  Golden Orfe, Pond Sturgeon, Weather Loach,  Molllies & Guppies, Red Shiners & High Fin Banded Shark

I am a novice re pond fish, so some good advice required

Thanks !

Morning.   I thought Mollies, Guppies, Red Shiners and Banded Shark were Tropical fish I don't think they'd survive outdoors ?   Sturgeon also are a bit finniky having had them and lost them I'd steer clear, they're also quite expensive.  Depending on the size of your pond I'd stick to Goldfish , Shubunkins, Orfe (blue or golden) Tench or Ghost Koi. We've had good success with these. We usually buy from Wayside Water Gardens at Oldcoates or South Yorkshire Aquatics at Bawtry, both knowledgeable and very helpful.  Hope that helps, Kev.

Morning Kev and a big thanks !

Hi again Kev

Know the location of both places you mention

However, I live at Beauchief in Sheffield which is a good hours drive from both places

Would the fish I buy survive the journey in the plastic bag ?

Apologies for my total lack of knowledge !

Yes they would survive,we lived in Bradway for 20 years and had a pond and always went to Wayside at Oldcotes.

9 minutes ago, jackanne said:

Yes they would survive,we lived in Bradway for 20 years and had a pond and always went to Wayside at Oldcotes.

Hi jackanne and thanks for your comment

Good morning Runningman.   As jackanne says they would be ok.  We always make a point to get straight home when we've bought fish.  

Hi kevvy and jackanne. Bought 3 gold fish and a couple of shubumkins ( spelling ?) today from Wayside Gardens at Oldcotes.

Home in 35 mins, fish now swimming about like crazy ! 

Very good,Wayside has been there for many years,i can remember going in 1976.

15 hours ago, Runningman said:

Hi kevvy and jackanne. Bought 3 gold fish and a couple of shubumkins ( spelling ?) today from Wayside Gardens at Oldcotes.

Excellent !! All good !👍

On 18/08/2020 at 21:43, Runningman said:

Hi,  how are the Fish doing ??

ive been to wards centre for basic white red goldfish,on your way to troway,i would go dyche lane to coal aston,turn left follow the road,theres a slight hill,then carry on cannot miss it ,its on the main road,they do tropical indoor fish as well,mine fine after several years,BUT make sure you have plants,oxigen via a pump for summer,i have a solar plate that feeds air to the pond in the summer,hope that helps

8 hours ago, kevvy said:

Hi,  how are the Fish doing ??

Hi Kev

I have 10 fish in the pond but the little varmints spend most of their time underneath a stone shelf in the corner of the pond.

Is this usual, that is they are in a new environment

Will they eventually appear and swim around so we can see them ?