Where To Take A Learner Driver To Practice. Off Road

Hi. I need to find somewhere off road to take my son to practice driving.

if you have all the basics,tax,insurance,learner plates and a provisional,the tesco car park,thats the 1st going in its a over car park,i have never seen more than a couple of cars there,driving instructors use it a lot for 1st lessons and parking practice,the branch is on abbeydale road just past archer road,i took my daughter on many sundays to practice.

7 hours ago, _lecro_ said:

Is Lightwood still open ?

Thats where i used to go !

Same question/suggestion. It has been a lot of years since I last used the place though.

It was an excellent place for learner drivers.

11 hours ago, _lecro_ said:

Last time I went past they were storing wood chippings in most of light wood 

12 hours ago, _lecro_ said:

A driving school took it on last year, resurfaced a lot of it and tidied everything up, they were doing car and motorcycle training on there and were doing really well, then the council evicted them citing something about a 'danger of contamination', so it's closed again now

Be very wary of private car parks - most of them have ANPR enforcement now, and the private parking companies who operate them are completely ruthless: if you in any way violate the T&Cs on the signs which you are deemed to have accepted by using the car park, then you'll likely get an invoice for £100. These invoices are often held as being valid by the county court. Reasonableness doesn't come into it: the fact that the car park was nearly empty and outside of shopping hours doesn't matter within the narrow focus of contract law..

A few years a supermarket with a large car park replied that they cannot give permission to any activity that is not parking because it is not there land .They added that they will actively provide information it to prosecute cases which they, individuals, council and police  consider to be a nuisance. Learning to drive could in law be counted as a nuisance.

In other enquiries most carparks have unlimited insurance for pedestrians and cyclists. 

Most carparks have very limited insurance for motor vehicles. 

Being hit by a insecure or a wobbly trolley is, a head on collision with another car is not.

Your own car insurance might not cover you if you have no reason to be on that private land eg taking a short cut across that private land- which is why I did all this and although things may have changed  a work colleague was sideswiped by a company truck as he was driving through a car park of a store while taking  a short cut  in order to avoid traffic lights. He also had to pay for damages to the delivery company and to the owners of the carpark.  

When he thought of appealing via his motor association they turned him down flat. Cost him thousands.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Thanks for all replies. Shame about Lightwood

On 16/08/2020 at 14:07, dave_the_m said:

Be very wary of private car parks - most of them have ANPR enforcement now, and the private parking companies who operate them are completely ruthless: if you in any way violate the T&Cs on the signs which you are deemed to have accepted by using the car park, then you'll likely get an invoice for £100. These invoices are often held as being valid by the county court. Reasonableness doesn't come into it: the fact that the car park was nearly empty and outside of shopping hours doesn't matter within the narrow focus of contract law..

Absolutely true and well explained.However many people use Fox Valley car park for this purpose,along with youngsters doing handbrake turns and others on motorbikes doing wheelies.Add a few push bike loonies and kids on scooters and it can be quite entertaining at night.