Sheffield Council's New Chief Executive.

Is her recent history supposed to be a positive? I'd have lied and said I'd spent lockdown watching Netflix than be associated with that shower!

“Cllr Dore said that it was amazing for Kate to have chosen Sheffield, as she is from the region.“ Quite.

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

“Cllr Dore said that it was amazing for Kate to have chosen Sheffield, as she is from the region.“ Quite.

Surely it should have been that SCC had a vacancy for a Chief Executive, Ms Josephs, applied, was interviewed and SCC chose HER? 

If it was the other way round & I knew it was so easy to secure the Chief Exce vacancy by simply 'choosing' Sheffield, I'd have applied for the job.  I'd even pay my own bus fare. 

Edited by Baron99

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Is her recent history supposed to be a positive? I'd have lied and said I'd spent lockdown watching Netflix than be associated with that shower!

Well, Ms Josephs? She must be well thought of & impressed the interview panel, whoever they were?   Presumably one must have been Julie Dore? 

Why else would they appoint someone to such an important job then give them at least 4 months to serve notice in their current job?  Or maybe it's Ms Johnson holding on to her No 10 roll until the end of the year for a purpose? 

Something tells me that Boris throws a better Christmas party than Julie does? 

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Surely it should have been that SCC had a vacancy for a Chief Executive, Ms Josephs, applied, was interviewed and SCC chose HER? 

If it was the other way round & I knew it was so easy to secure the Chief Exce vacancy by simply 'choosing' Sheffield, I'd have applied for the job.  I'd even pay my own bus fare. 

I'm sure the Council did select her from the list of applicants after a thorough selection process. However, Ms Josephs decided to apply for the job and once the offer had been made accept it.

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Why else would they appoint someone to such an important job then give them at least 4 months to serve notice in their current job?  Or maybe it's Ms Johnson holding on to her No 10 roll until the end of the year for a purpose? 

I imagine her current post has quite a long notice period. 

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Something tells me that Boris throws a better Christmas party than Julie does? 

Would you really want to attend a party with him? Especially if you are a woman...

remind me just when did the previous guy  inform the council of his decision to step down?  was made public in 2019 I believe.

Clearly no succession planing

Like many, I'd never heard of this lady. I've now looked at some information about her past and experience. I suppose one positive note is that she will have some relatively important contacts within national government. 

However, two other areas do concern me: Firstly, her social media outlets seem to be just full of corporate speak, sound bytes and excessive  froth.

Secondly, and more ominously for Sheffield, she grew up in Doncaster. After the utterly ineffective and weak city leadership of recent years and with Dan Jarvis already positioning himself for whatever format the Sheffield City Region finally takes, I fear the worst for any chance of Sheffield itself to have any meaningful say in crucial and strategic decisions in the foreseeable future.

Kate Josephs will start work for Sheffield in 2021.

What links what links "she grew up in Doncaster",  with "utterly ineffective and weak city(sic) leadership of recent years", with Dan Jarvis??

Her role will include managing and reigning in some of the extravagances of politicians.

Already the nastiness starts. How predictable. 

6 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Kate Josephs will start work for Sheffield in 2021.

What links what links "she grew up in Doncaster",  with "utterly ineffective and weak city(sic) leadership of recent years", with Dan Jarvis??

Her role will include managing and reigning in some of the extravagances of politicians.

Already the nastiness starts. How predictable. 

Indeed. what utter rubbish

I have no idea myself if she will be a good candidate or not and certainly will not base my decision on where she grew up, her sex or her race or her religion and will base my judgement on past business experience and in time how she performs in her new role

Didn't Jeremy Clarkson start out life in Doncaster and he seems to have done OK

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Why else would they appoint someone to such an important job then give them at least 4 months to serve notice in their current job?

Would you prefer that they employ someone who has a track record of leaving their current employment after giving zero notice when something better turns up?

3 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

Would you prefer that they employ someone who has a track record of leaving their current employment after giving zero notice when something better turns up?

👍 👍 Definitely! Step forward Steve Bruce.