Jump to content
We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

Mexican Or Spanish Restaurant At End Of Moor After Pubs Close

Recommended Posts

Does anyone remember the restaurant that was upstairs near the moorfoot tavern that people used to go to after the pubs closed ?

i remember that you could stay in there drinking until about 5am at the weekend.

what was it called ?

my friends cannot remember it and they think I was dreaming lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has to be El Paso! That was there for years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can recall going there maybe mid 90s? Random selection of folk upstairs including lots of international students and good atmosphere.

 

Trippets was another late venue - no one cared when they just served wine and they stayed open until whenever. But when they started serving beer, it got busier and other bars dobbed them in. Think they got a proper late license after that.

 

It seems strange now that busy city centre pubs would shut at 11pm on a weekend - but other than club or curry, your options were limited if you wanted a city centre drink after 11.  (though obviously lots of local lock ins)

Edited by jake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jake said:

I can recall going there maybe mid 90s? Random selection of folk upstairs including lots of international students and good atmosphere.

 

Trippets was another late venue - no one cared when they just served wine and they stayed open until whenever. But when they started serving beer, it got busier and other bars dobbed them in. Think they got a proper late license after that.

 

It seems strange now that busy city centre pubs would shut at 11pm on a weekend - but other than club or curry, your options were limited if you wanted a city centre drink after 11.  (though obviously lots of local lock ins)

I'm not sure what it was called but I think it was pre El Paso, it was on Cumberland St, went in several times with some friends around 1993 ish, it was Mediterranean or South American themed if I remember right, with a small dance floor and music upstairs, it kicked off one Saturday night between some customers (who frequented the pubs of London Road) and a gang of their associates who barged in and  confronted some of the restaurant staff, some serious accusations and threats were made, knives were brandished and iron bars were used, needless to say it got quite messy.

Edited by Michael_W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Michael_W said:

I'm not sure what it was called but I think it was pre El Paso, it was on Cumberland St, went in several times with some friends around 1993 ish, it was Mediterranean or South American themed if I remember right, with a small dance floor and music upstairs, it kicked off one Saturday night between some customers (who frequented the pubs of London Road) and a gang of their associates who barged in and  confronted some of the restaurant staff, some serious accusations and threats were made, knives were brandished and iron bars were used, needless to say it got quite messy.

We just knew it as the Spanish Bar and I vaguely remember being there on a night similar to the one you describe.  Possibly a later repeat, though; I think I would have been going there 94 - 98 ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

We just knew it as the Spanish Bar and I vaguely remember being there on a night similar to the one you describe.  Possibly a later repeat, though; I think I would have been going there 94 - 98 ish.

It might have been the same night, I'm taking an estimate at 93 it could have been 94, it started in the restaurant and continued into the street, a female sat in the restaurant and started ranting about one of the staff being an arms dealer, a guy came in from outside who she knew and joined in, one of the staff held a knife to this guy's face at the door, the guy didn't back down but actually challenged him to stab him, more staff came from the kitchen area and a fight was taken out into the street with the guy and a couple of his mates, one of them used an iron bar from a temporary barrier around some road/paving work outside .... does it sound familiar ?

Edited by Michael_W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say to be honest - it's a very vague memory which I had completely forgotten about until I read your post.  All I really remember is everything kicking off and me and the couple of people I was with being bundled somewhere for safety.  I guess all my memories of being in there are rather faint due to the time and state we used to arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your input everyone, as I was talking to a friend whilst on holiday last week about the place. He said there was never a late bar in a mexican / spanish restaurant near the Moor. I trawled the internet to find it, and I eventually found a photo of El Paso being next door to the Moorfoot Tavern, as I know that the pub was taken over by the restaurant. All I remember is sometimes going to the restaurant after Trippets wine bar, going around the back where the car park is, and going up some metal stairs to the first floor of the restaurant where music was played and drinks were served (no food). My mate thought I was in cloud cuckoo land lol !

I thought...'I know where I will find out if i was dreaming it or not.....I will try the Sheffield Forum' ! 

Cheers guys !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.