Reduced Spam?

18 minutes ago, apelike said:

I don't think the ISP makes a difference as Spam is an email thing and I use Yahoo for email and have not had any spam for months. Some companies such as Alibaba send mail but that is automatically filtered into the Yahoo spam folder anyway. I have 2 email accounts also and one is only used for friends and family and the other for all else and the above applies to both. I never use the ISP ones provided as I tend to change ISPs after the contract is up.

Yes, spam is 'an email thing', but the spammers either get your email through compromised sites you have used that address on, or by 'dictionary attacks' - i.e. if you use common words/phrases in your address before the '@yahoo.co.uk' bit.

The reason for me asking about the ISP is that TT are known to have had 2(reported) breaches where 1,000's of email addys were lost, and they are still suffering the after effects even now.

I use my ISPs mail service as I find its unlimited aliases option a  great help, but I also have a Yahoo address and two gMail as backup, but they are rarely used.

Edited by RollingJ

3 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

TalkTalk

Well, I'm afraid to say it, but your email address(es) are probably on a lot of spam-bots lists, sorry.

Well, my firm's ISP is unknown to me. It might be Microsoft, it might be Midshires Telecom.

And we cannot easily change because the e-mail addresses have our own domain name- i.e. not just the BT/TalkTalk/Live/G-mail suffix thingy.

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Well, my firm's ISP is unknown to me. It might be Microsoft, it might be Midshires Telecom.

And we cannot easily change because the e-mail addresses have our own domain name- i.e. not just the BT/TalkTalk/Live/G-mail suffix thingy.

It certainly won't be Microsoft - they don't have a presence in the telecom market - here or anywhere else, AFAIK, but it could well be Midshires, although I assume as a business you have your own domain and email account/provider.

Do you get spam to your business ?  If yes, your mail system security needs tightening up.

Just use https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to find out if any websites you use with a particular email address have been involved in any breaches. You can also register to get told about new breaches.

Spam is spam, I only get maybe 5 a month and that's on my gmail account in the Spam folder. I have my own domain name and an email address per site usually and with that I'm lucky to get spam once every 6 months. If an email address gets spammed I can just delete it and use a different one.

I've had my Gmail address for 16 years and I only get a handful of mails a day in my spam folder, and none in my inbox.  10 years ago, I had hundreds a day; the spam detection algorithms in Gmail are now so good that all that rubbish is intercepted.

Businesses are more likely to get spam, as addresses are scraped from web pages and then appear on lists that spammers use. Once you are on a list, not much you can do about it, just use a decent mail provider and  server/client to intercept it before it reaches your inbox.

22 hours ago, the_bloke said:

I've had my Gmail address for 16 years and I only get a handful of mails a day in my spam folder, and none in my inbox.  10 years ago, I had hundreds a day; the spam detection algorithms in Gmail are now so good that all that rubbish is intercepted.

Businesses are more likely to get spam, as addresses are scraped from web pages and then appear on lists that spammers use. Once you are on a list, not much you can do about it, just use a decent mail provider and  server/client to intercept it before it reaches your inbox.

I've had my gmail address since 2004 too. I don't have much problem with spam and what I do get generally gets sent to the spam folder.

As I was an early adopter I don't have any numbers after my name and get one or two emails a month meant for other people where the number has been missed off. The most I have received have been for a book publisher who had misprinted her email address on her business card. I now have 16 early drafts of first novels which may be worth something should the authors become famous.

Not to mention the "this is the only notification you will receive" of several airline tickets in the USA, updates on Norwegian scout camps and myriad invitations to cupcake parties in Colorado.

People really have cupcake parties? In Colorado or anywhere else in the world?? Or is it some code for things like swingers parties? 😉

Nowt as funny as folk...eh?

13 hours ago, max said:

I've had my gmail address since 2004 too. I don't have much problem with spam and what I do get generally gets sent to the spam folder.

As I was an early adopter I don't have any numbers after my name and get one or two emails a month meant for other people where the number has been missed off. The most I have received have been for a book publisher who had misprinted her email address on her business card. I now have 16 early drafts of first novels which may be worth something should the authors become famous.

Not to mention the "this is the only notification you will receive" of several airline tickets in the USA, updates on Norwegian scout camps and myriad invitations to cupcake parties in Colorado.

Looks like you are missing out big time due to the lockdown and restrictions on travel.  Free tickets to travel to the U S of A, and the chance to experience cupcake parties.  Both missed.  Oh well - perhaps when the pandemic is over.........

11 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Looks like you are missing out big time due to the lockdown and restrictions on travel.  Free tickets to travel to the U S of A, and the chance to experience cupcake parties.  Both missed.  Oh well - perhaps when the pandemic is over.........

Unfortunately, the tickets were for internal flights in the USA plus I have type 2 diabetes so cupcakes aren't my thing. Chiz chiz.

But back on the topic of spam:

Maybe the spammers read SF. Since my initial post, far more has started arriving.