Nasa Joins The Social Justice Movement

NASA have announced that they are reviewing the nicknames given to certain astronomical objects. So far, the Eskimo nebula and the Siamese Twins galaxy have had their nicknames rescinded. 

Report here. Open carefully, contains Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/aug/08/nasa-to-change-harmful-and-discriminatory-planet-and-galaxy-nicknames?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Uranus remains unchanged.

22 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

NASA have announced that they are reviewing the nicknames given to certain astronomical objects. So far, the Eskimo nebula and the Siamese Twins galaxy have had their nicknames rescinded. 

Report here. Open carefully, contains Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/aug/08/nasa-to-change-harmful-and-discriminatory-planet-and-galaxy-nicknames?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Uranus remains unchanged.

Astronomy got boring though when they changed the pronunciation 😂😂

Just can't get my breath, how long is this silly season going to last for ?

So will they also change the name of the Milky Way to appease the vegans who don't drink milk? 😂

There is a wide range of vegan milks available.

In any case, a lifestyle choice and a racial slur are hardly comparable, are they?

So now the words Eskimo and Siamese are deemed offensive, really ?

There won't be much left that's not deemed offensive at this rate, I honestly believe the worlds gone mad, all this nonsense will improve nothing, quite the opposite I believe, and NASA like many others appear to be bandwagon jumping, maybe they just feel guilty for lacking diversity, that seems to be a trend too !

There are better words to use than Eskimo. That always happens with language though, it evolves. Otherwise we’d be discussynge this in ye olde English.

Siam doesn’t exist any more, and conjoined twins don’t just come from Thailand, so I guess there are better words for them too.

It is a good story though, and worthy of some thought.

It also presents an opportunity for a Uranus joke or two, so it’s not all bad.

Edited by Pettytom

I suppose black holes will now be called absence of light holes.

6 minutes ago, despritdan said:

I suppose black holes will now be called absence of light holes.

Why?

If Siam doesn’t exist anymore, how can anyone be offended with he use of its name?

It strikes me as (some) people being desperate for significance, to be heard and to make their mark on the world; i.e. “this or that offends me, I am special and I have the right to be offended and I demand that the world changes to suit my fragile sensibilities”.

Meanwhile there are people with actual problems living in the world; nobody gives a damn about them though, they just quietly die because they’re not skilled bleaters, and everyone is busy listening to the  professionally offended types, who are.

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

If Siam doesn’t exist anymore, how can anyone be offended with he use of its name?

It strikes me as (some) people being desperate for significance, to be heard and to make their mark on the world; i.e. “this or that offends me, I am special and I have the right to be offended and I demand that the world changes to suit my fragile sensibilities”.

Meanwhile there are people with actual problems living in the world; nobody gives a damn about them though, they just quietly die because they’re not skilled bleaters, and everyone is busy listening to the  professionally offended types, who are.

I don't see any references to people claiming offence or demanding anything in the article.

Its happening in the IT world as well.

Terms like "master" and "slave" are being replaced, along with "blacklist".

I don't understand why.  The terms neither condone slavery nor implies racism.

I look forward to the movement going to the motoring world next and removing those offensive slave cylinders in engine bays.