Buying A Tablet

The only tablets I've owned have been iPads, but I've been asked to recommend a fairy cheap tablet.

Is the difference between a pretty cheap one and something much more expensive model mainly in the size and quality of the screen, the quality of the camera and the physical robustness of the machine? Are there things that more expensive ones do that cheaper ones can't do at all?

Thanks

iPads are are more expensive to buy a Samsung Tab A does all it can do far cheaper.

I've found that the cheaper a tablet is, the screen will be much lower quality, the sound will be nasty, and it might be very slow. Most, if not all the cheaper tablets have a slow CPU and very little RAM. Depending what you want to use it for, this could be a problem. Without wanting to start the whole Apple/Android argument, I find Android gives more freedom over IOS/iPadOS, for what I use tablets for.

Rough guess (Owned all)

Samsung A Series (S are better but more expensive)

Huawei T Series (M are better but more expensive)

I use the Huawei M5-10" Excellent tablet but not the cheapest going.

I was going to suggest a Linux alterntative, Pine64 but they are not currently available due to Covi-19:

https://store.pine64.org/product/pinetab-10-1-linux-tablet/

I would suggest that you go to John Lewis and have a look at what is on offer as you can also see them powered up. I bought an Android Lenovo 10" tab 2 from them a few years ago for around £150 and I was very impressed so also got one for my grandson, both still in use use today. Lenovo have good build quality, decent sound and battery life but it's good to see them up and running first and view the screen quality. The problem with some Android tablets is that they sometimes do not update the software so you may be stuck on an older version like I am with Android 7, not that it bothers me.

I would also consider what you're wanting to do with the tablet.

If it's just for watching Netflix and a bit of browsing, you don't need anything super powered or expensive.

It depends for whom  it’s for.

If it is for someone unused to tablets then go for something simple.

Let’s face it, the iPad is almost idiot proof and there are lots and lots of second hand ones on sites such as MusicMagpie (other sites are available) -which is where  I bought my last iPad at c 40% of the new price.

Samsung tab A is cheap and the screen is really nice. It feels flimsy though. Also have an ipad mini for years which has taken a proper beating and is a bit more user friendly for some things (not all though). Some apps are better on the iPad too. 

Really depends on what you're using it for I guess.

I have a Lenovo 10 inch tablet that I got in April 2017,  I used to  watch sports on it with no problems.

If you want something cheap but reliable then the Amazon Fire tablet is a good buy.