Today Is The 75th Anniversary Of The Atomic Bomb Dropped On Hiroshima

Just a little moment in which I hope that we can all pause, reflect and appreciate how lucky we are not to live during a time when atomic bombs were considered a valid response to anything really.

Somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 lives were lost from a single bomb and its after effects. 

This isn't planned to be a discussion into the rights and wrongs of the aims of dropping the bombs, and I know that the UK was party to the dropping of the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I just wanted to remind everyone to take a moment and think about the desperate situation that the world must have been in at the time.

49 minutes ago, medusa said:

Just a little moment in which I hope that we can all pause, reflect and appreciate how lucky we are not to live during a time when atomic bombs were considered a valid response to anything really.

Somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 lives were lost from a single bomb and its after effects. 

This isn't planned to be a discussion into the rights and wrongs of the aims of dropping the bombs, and I know that the UK was party to the dropping of the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I just wanted to remind everyone to take a moment and think about the desperate situation that the world must have been in at the time.

a lesson that has kept world peace since 1945.

1 hour ago, casualbystander said:

If your world consists of most of Europe and North America perhaps (excluding forays into Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq and the like).

Yes, there hasn't been a "world" war, but hardly world peace either.

2 hours ago, casualbystander said:

In your dreams perhaps, but not reality.

In the end some nutter will press the button , Nuclear war is still the worlds biggest looming problem , it will be Global warming in one foul swoop .

11 minutes ago, Parkside said:

In the end some nutter will press the button , Nuclear war is still the worlds biggest looming problem , it will be Global warming in one foul swoop .

no they wont !  why do you think we have had world peace for 75 years its because of the threat ? not the use of it.

10 hours ago, Halibut said:

In your dreams perhaps, but not reality.

no in reality, no world war just outcrops of radicals creating their own little wars.

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

If your world consists of most of Europe and North America perhaps (excluding forays into Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq and the like).

Yes, there hasn't been a "world" war, but hardly world peace either.

there will never be world peace or peace all over the world as long as radical religious nutters exist or despot dictators rule certain countries, what should we do ? take out dictators ?? i would then you might get somewhere but it will never happen.

48 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

there will never be world peace or peace all over the world as long as radical religious nutters exist or despot dictators rule certain countries, what should we do ? take out dictators ?? i would then you might get somewhere but it will never happen.

Relentlessly fight against injustice and promote peace and equality.

5 hours ago, casualbystander said:

no they wont !  why do you think we have had world peace for 75 years its because of the threat ? not the use of it.

no in reality, no world war just outcrops of radicals creating their own little wars.

One or two of those religious nutters have nuclear weapons , others are keen to obtain them , they will destroy humanity while proclaiming the name of which ever God they bow down to .  

9 minutes ago, Parkside said:

One or two of those religious nutters have nuclear weapons , others are keen to obtain them , they will destroy humanity while proclaiming the name of which ever God they bow down to .  

Are you referring to America? The religion led “in god we trust“ nation that has been the only one to drop a nuclear bomb on another country.....

2 hours ago, mafya said:

Are you referring to America? The religion led “in god we trust“ nation that has been the only one to drop a nuclear bomb on another country.....

A necessary evil lets hope it's the last.

The concept  of MAD mutual  assured destruction helped to keep the peace between America and Russia because  neither wanted the ultimate destruction of people and country , now within Christianity and Islam that does not hold the same amount of fear some would welcome  WW3  in the believe  of return of  Christ or the revealing of the twelfth Imam.     

15 hours ago, Halibut said:

Relentlessly fight against injustice and promote peace and equality.

Just words your justice maybe open borders could we have had peace if we had surrendered to  Hitler is equality supporting  BLM a racist organisation  your definition is yours only and will probably differ from mine.