John Hume Rip

Anyone who remembers the terrible  troubles in Northern Ireland will be grateful for the huge effort and  contribution he made in bringing politicians together which eventually led to the Good Friday agreement. 

Many people have expressed admiration for him.

He deserves the tributes. 

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-53634709?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15965380798848&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

A great man, it's curious he never got a gong from the Queen, whether that's because he as a nationalist would not if welcomed it I don't know.

1 hour ago, butlers said:

A great man, it's curious he never got a gong from the Queen, whether that's because he as a nationalist would not if welcomed it I don't know.

Sensativities regarding the Queen I expect, no fault of hers. 

Yes he was a Catholic who earned respect from both sides of the divide, because he spoke out against violence. 

It's all history now of course, but you have to go way back in history to have an understanding of it.

I want to be optimistic with hope that  there will be peace in the future ahead, but we can't be absolutely certain if dissident groups start looking for trouble.

I am utterly certain he wasn't doing it for the recognition but just seems a shame.

After 30 years if unrest ,murder and mayhem  it's now over twenty since the good Friday agreement.

Can not imagine a new generation will turn thier back on the peace they have benefitted through