Jump to content


Good Places To Visit With Kids In Sheffield During The Pandemic

Recommended Posts

On 06/08/2020 at 07:47, Bargepole23 said:

https://m.facebook.com/BeestroTroway/

 

http://wp.wardsoftroway.co.uk/

 

The Beestro is in the gardens of Troway Hall. Outdoor seating in the garden, and a great view over the valley. Standard cafe menu plus booze in the daytime.

 

Wards is a great spot too, and in normal times has nice indoor areas for winter walks.

 

The Gate is still there also.

Many thanks.  I know Troway Hall, that's the place where they sell honey, but I didn't know it had got a cafe, looks very nice!  I didn't know about the Ward's place though.  Both look worth exploring.  

 

As a kid I'd walk from Eckington through Bramley Woods, down onto the Ford, on a regular basis.  From there you can go up the hill towards Ridgeway and off left down Sloade Lane, to the little hamlet of Povey, then down towards Troway.  You've just given me a very good reason to re-discover that walk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/08/2020 at 08:11, DerbyTup said:

Many thanks.  I know Troway Hall, that's the place where they sell honey, but I didn't know it had got a cafe, looks very nice!  I didn't know about the Ward's place though.  Both look worth exploring.  

 

As a kid I'd walk from Eckington through Bramley Woods, down onto the Ford, on a regular basis.  From there you can go up the hill towards Ridgeway and off left down Sloade Lane, to the little hamlet of Povey, then down towards Troway.  You've just given me a very good reason to re-discover that walk!

Just to let you know Mr Bargepole, I paid a visit to the Beestro at Troway Hall the other day, as a result of your recommendation.  It is a lovely spot I agree.  The food looked nice too, although I only stopped off for a pot of tea for two, but I may try the fare on offer another time. 

 

Regrettably, due to current circumstances, a "pot of tea for two", is two paper cups filled with tea, with two cartons of UHT milk and two lollipop sticks to stir it.   £5.  

 

I was expecting a nice hot tea pot, with china cups, a little jug of fresh milk, and maybe even another little jug of hot water to make a refill.  

 

If this is what they have to do to abide by the restrictions imposed upon them due to the coronavirus, then I'm not being critical of them at all.  But, like a lot of places we go to now, we come away slightly disappointed because the experience is not what it should be.  

 

Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible for all of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Just to let you know Mr Bargepole, I paid a visit to the Beestro at Troway Hall the other day, as a result of your recommendation.  It is a lovely spot I agree.  The food looked nice too, although I only stopped off for a pot of tea for two, but I may try the fare on offer another time. 

 

Regrettably, due to current circumstances, a "pot of tea for two", is two paper cups filled with tea, with two cartons of UHT milk and two lollipop sticks to stir it.   £5.  

 

I was expecting a nice hot tea pot, with china cups, a little jug of fresh milk, and maybe even another little jug of hot water to make a refill.  

 

If this is what they have to do to abide by the restrictions imposed upon them due to the coronavirus, then I'm not being critical of them at all.  But, like a lot of places we go to now, we come away slightly disappointed because the experience is not what it should be.  

 

Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible for all of us.

Glad you liked it, and I can only agree on the paper cups. Wooden stirrers are a particular, probably irrational, hate of mine. The food is good, unfortunately at present, it comes in a cardboard box.

 

Cintra's tea room in Hathersage currently serves tea in real cups, provides a real teapot and milk jug. Food comes on real plates. Not sure why it's different elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Glad you liked it, and I can only agree on the paper cups. Wooden stirrers are a particular, probably irrational, hate of mine. The food is good, unfortunately at present, it comes in a cardboard box.

 

Cintra's tea room in Hathersage currently serves tea in real cups, provides a real teapot and milk jug. Food comes on real plates. Not sure why it's different elsewhere.

I've not tried Cintra's, although I was parked up outside it only last week and I thought it looked a nice place.  I usually go to Coleman's deli if I'm looking for a sandwich and coffee in Hathersage.  That's also very nice, although they have a limited selection at present - all the sandwiches are pre-packed - it's still good but not the same experience as before.  

 

A favourite of mine in that area is the cafe at David Mellor's cutlery factory at Hathersage.  That's also a lovely place to eat, especially in summer when there is outdoor seating on the terrace.  They do really nice food and some of the best home-made soups I think I've ever had anywhere.  Unfortunately they are closed until further notice, due to the pandemic.  

 

I've not tried it myself, but the Hathersage Social is also supposed to be really nice.  It sounds like a working man's club, but it isn't!  It's a very nice place just next to the Little John pub.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

I've not tried Cintra's, although I was parked up outside it only last week and I thought it looked a nice place.  I usually go to Coleman's deli if I'm looking for a sandwich and coffee in Hathersage.  That's also very nice, although they have a limited selection at present - all the sandwiches are pre-packed - it's still good but not the same experience as before.  

 

A favourite of mine in that area is the cafe at David Mellor's cutlery factory at Hathersage.  That's also a lovely place to eat, especially in summer when there is outdoor seating on the terrace.  They do really nice food and some of the best home-made soups I think I've ever had anywhere.  Unfortunately they are closed until further notice, due to the pandemic.  

 

I've not tried it myself, but the Hathersage Social is also supposed to be really nice.  It sounds like a working man's club, but it isn't!  It's a very nice place just next to the Little John pub.   

Hathersage Social is nice, had a crab tart there at lunchtime recently, and planning to go for dinner very soon. Part owned by Cary Brown, who has worked all over these parts, including what was Slammers on Ecclesall Road. Seafood Slammers are on the Hathersage Social menu.

 

Not been to the David Mellor cafe, only the shop.

 

Try an onion bhaji sandwich from grasshopper cafe in Hope, or a pastrami sandwich. Both are grilled and very lovely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Hathersage Social is nice, had a crab tart there at lunchtime recently, and planning to go for dinner very soon. Part owned by Cary Brown, who has worked all over these parts, including what was Slammers on Ecclesall Road. Seafood Slammers are on the Hathersage Social menu.

 

Not been to the David Mellor cafe, only the shop.

 

Try an onion bhaji sandwich from grasshopper cafe in Hope, or a pastrami sandwich. Both are grilled and very lovely.

This is great!  Thank you for the tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend Runaround soft play area at Halfway. They reopened on Thursday and it seemed well organised, clean and seemed to work well. Most (possibly all) other soft play areas in the region are still shut.  First time I've been there and I'd say it's the best one I've been to. Still awful of course, but the kids love these places and we've really missed them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2020 at 18:06, Bargepole23 said:

Hathersage Social is nice, had a crab tart there at lunchtime recently, and planning to go for dinner very soon. Part owned by Cary Brown, who has worked all over these parts, including what was Slammers on Ecclesall Road. Seafood Slammers are on the Hathersage Social menu.

 

Not been to the David Mellor cafe, only the shop.

 

Try an onion bhaji sandwich from grasshopper cafe in Hope, or a pastrami sandwich. Both are grilled and very lovely.

That name rings a bell.

 

Didn't he run the Beauchief Hotel a few years ago?  I seem to remember reading something about that.  All I know is, they wanted to revive it as a nice restaurant and they did a very nice job of the decor and stuff, but the food and the service let it down.  I thought at the time that it was a shame because the place had so much potential.  Of course, it's now being made into residential homes.  Pity.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance we can discuss the topic please? There’s more than one thread about nice places to eat out, both before and since lockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.