Good Places To Visit With Kids In Sheffield During The Pandemic

Anyone got any tips on where to go in Sheffield I’ve been shielding my lad for months now and he’s finally allowed out Tia 

Edited by nikki-red

Botanical Gardens? Graves Park?

Clumber park

Rother valley country park

Sherwood Forest

Yorkshire wildlife park

Further afield is Bakewell or Chatsworth.

Ladybower

Millhouses park

Don't know whether the museums and art galleries are open but if they are they're worth a visit. 

Gulliver's Valley near Jnc 31 M1 is now open.

1,2 and 5 are excellent choices if you want really really big crowds.

If you fancy a walk in the fresh air, try the Sheffield Round Walk.  You can download a map off the Internet. 

Start early enough, you can do it in a day or just pick certain sections. 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

1,2 and 5 are excellent choices if you want really really big crowds.

I went to Clumber Park on Sunday. You have to book a half hour time slot to arrive, and there are limited spaces, but can stay as long as you like. This is at the cost of £5 per adult, National Trust members get in free. I arrived at 12:30. There was around 5 minutes of queuing to get in. Once we got parked (plenty of space on the big field) it was easy to avoid the crowds as the place is huge, but there were admittedly more people crowded around the main buildings / cafe and there was about a 10 to 15 minute queue for the toilets. Most people seemed to be adhering to social distancing / face masks inside though.

Can't comment on Rother Valley Park.

Similarly went to Bakewell the weekend prior, not with the intention of going into the town centre though. We got a free parking space on the road but I think that was lucky. The car parks looked chock a block but I think there were still spaces. We did a round walk circling the area and didn't come across too many people.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

If you fancy a walk in the fresh air, try the Sheffield Round Walk.  You can download a map off the Internet. 

Start early enough, you can do it in a day or just pick certain sections. 

Sheffield Round Walk is a good shout. If planning to do the whole route though it would be wise to plan food / toilet breaks around what is and isn't open at the moment. I know the public facilities at Endcliffe Park are now open. Pre-lockdown it was easy enough to pop into a pub / cafe along the route for refreshments etc. maybe not as easy now.

Edited by yyy

2 hours ago, yyy said:

I went to Clumber Park on Sunday. You have to book a half hour time slot to arrive, and there are limited spaces, but can stay as long as you like. This is at the cost of £5 per adult, National Trust members get in free. I arrived at 12:30. There was around 5 minutes of queuing to get in. Once we got parked (plenty of space on the big field) it was easy to avoid the crowds as the place is huge, but there were admittedly more people crowded around the main buildings / cafe and there was about a 10 to 15 minute queue for the toilets. Most people seemed to be adhering to social distancing / face masks inside though.

Can't comment on Rother Valley Park.

Similarly went to Bakewell the weekend prior, not with the intention of going into the town centre though. We got a free parking space on the road but I think that was lucky. The car parks looked chock a block but I think there were still spaces. We did a round walk circling the area and didn't come across too many people.

Sheffield Round Walk is a good shout. If planning to do the whole route though it would be wise to plan food / toilet breaks around what is and isn't open at the moment. I know the public facilities at Endcliffe Park are now open. Pre-lockdown it was easy enough to pop into a pub / cafe along the route for refreshments etc. maybe not as easy now.

The parking round the back of rother valley was nearly up to the abattoir by lunchtime on Saturday.  Weekend (or two?) ago the queue to the main entrance was starting to go up rother valley hill. Bakewell was rammed on Sunday, Chatsworth too. Not social distancing at either of the latter apparently.

Clumber park sounds better organised but at a fiver per head it shpuld be! Nice walk though.

Yorkshire wildlife park would, should be better organised as well for similar reasons - they have total control of how many and how fast they let people in. I guess the worse the crowds, the less organisation?

21 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

Clumber park

Rother valley country park

Sherwood Forest

Yorkshire wildlife park

Further afield is Bakewell or Chatsworth.

Ladybower

Millhouses park

Don't know whether the museums and art galleries are open but if they are they're worth a visit. 

Gulliver's Valley near Jnc 31 M1 is now open.

Other than museums and galleries, that's a list of places to avoid. Every one of them guaranteed to packed with the great unwashed, lighting barbecues and dumping litter.

On 03/08/2020 at 21:27, CorkerSWFC said:

Anyone got any tips on where to go in Sheffield I’ve been shielding my lad for months now and he’s finally allowed out Tia 

Hard to answer that without knowing what sort of things he'd enjoy/you'd enjoy?  I'm not clear on whether you are looking for some form of "entertainment", i.e. pubs, bars, cafes,  restaurants, museums, or something else?  

If my lad was vulnerable I'd be thinking of outdoors as opposed to indoors and there's absolutely no shortage of places to go around here.  The Peak District is on your doorstep and a 15 minute drive from the city centre opens up a whole world of possibilities if you enjoy the countryside?  

If you have a bicycle, or would be willing to hire one, there are some wonderful (flat) trails to ride along, on old disused railway lines.  Like the Trans Pennine trail, north of the city, or High Peak, Tissington, Monsal, etc., to the South.  Check out Hassop Cafe as a starting point for the Monsal Trail.  I think you can hire bikes there too.  That's a lovely cycle, through disused, but well illuminated, old railway tunnels, all the way to the outskirts of Buxton - and the cafe at Hassop is a lovely place to stop for refreshments - free parking too in the field opposite.

The only downside to these "popular" trails is they do get very busy, especially at weekends.  

I've been doing a lot of walking in Derbyshire and it's very easy to find some lovely walks, through the less well-known dales, and see very few people.  Some examples:

Hartington to Biggin Dale, back through Beresford Dale and Wolfscote Dale.

Tideswell to Litton Mill via Water-cum-Jolly Dale.  

Calver to Stoney Middleton via Combs Dale.  

Wetton - Thor's Cave - Manifold valley - Ecton Hill.

Closer to Sheffield, you've got the Sheffield Round Walk as someone has already said.  But there's infinite numbers of other places as well.  How about a short drive up over Ringinglow Moor, parking up there and taking a walk over Burbage and down to Fox House?  Or Fox House down through Padley Gorge to Grindleford - lunch at the cafe there?  or maybe on to Hathersage then get the bus back up the hill to Fox House?  Or maybe take the train to Grindleford, have breakfast, and walk back?  Redmires, Stanage Edge, Ringinglow is another nice walk.  There are just so many!

I've signed up for the following: 

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ 

I think it's absolutely great!  You can download a map of the local area (or anywhere in the country) and see where all the footpaths and bridleways are.  You can plot a route yourself, and it will tell you how many miles it is and how long it will take you to walk, run, or cycle it.  Then you can just save the route and access it on your smartphone whilst you are out walking.  

16 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Hard to answer that without knowing what sort of things he'd enjoy/you'd enjoy?  I'm not clear on whether you are looking for some form of "entertainment", i.e. pubs, bars, cafes,  restaurants, museums, or something else?  

If my lad was vulnerable I'd be thinking of outdoors as opposed to indoors and there's absolutely no shortage of places to go around here.  The Peak District is on your doorstep and a 15 minute drive from the city centre opens up a whole world of possibilities if you enjoy the countryside?  

If you have a bicycle, or would be willing to hire one, there are some wonderful (flat) trails to ride along, on old disused railway lines.  Like the Trans Pennine trail, north of the city, or High Peak, Tissington, Monsal, etc., to the South.  Check out Hassop Cafe as a starting point for the Monsal Trail.  I think you can hire bikes there too.  That's a lovely cycle, through disused, but well illuminated, old railway tunnels, all the way to the outskirts of Buxton - and the cafe at Hassop is a lovely place to stop for refreshments - free parking too in the field opposite.

The only downside to these "popular" trails is they do get very busy, especially at weekends.  

I've been doing a lot of walking in Derbyshire and it's very easy to find some lovely walks, through the less well-known dales, and see very few people.  Some examples:

Hartington to Biggin Dale, back through Beresford Dale and Wolfscote Dale.

Tideswell to Litton Mill via Water-cum-Jolly Dale.  

Calver to Stoney Middleton via Combs Dale.  

Wetton - Thor's Cave - Manifold valley - Ecton Hill.

Closer to Sheffield, you've got the Sheffield Round Walk as someone has already said.  But there's infinite numbers of other places as well.  How about a short drive up over Ringinglow Moor, parking up there and taking a walk over Burbage and down to Fox House?  Or Fox House down through Padley Gorge to Grindleford - lunch at the cafe there?  or maybe on to Hathersage then get the bus back up the hill to Fox House?  Or maybe take the train to Grindleford, have breakfast, and walk back?  Redmires, Stanage Edge, Ringinglow is another nice walk.  There are just so many!

I've signed up for the following: 

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ 

I think it's absolutely great!  You can download a map of the local area (or anywhere in the country) and see where all the footpaths and bridleways are.  You can plot a route yourself, and it will tell you how many miles it is and how long it will take you to walk, run, or cycle it.  Then you can just save the route and access it on your smartphone whilst you are out walking.  

Give the Komoot app a try also,  has a myriad of footpaths you would be unlikely to find otherwise.

Can I also recommend Holmesfield/Millthorpe area for some great, and less busy, walking. Nice cafe at Barlow, Hackney House.

Also Moss Valley/Troway area, and multiple refreshment stops at Troway.

21 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Give the Komoot app a try also,  has a myriad of footpaths you would be unlikely to find otherwise.

Can I also recommend Holmesfield/Millthorpe area for some great, and less busy, walking. Nice cafe at Barlow, Hackney House.

Also Moss Valley/Troway area, and multiple refreshment stops at Troway.

Some good tips there Bargepole!

I've not tried the Komoot app, but funnily enough I was out walking last week in the Manifold Valley and two young ladies stopped to ask me directions - they were using the Komoot app but had lost their bearings a bit!  No reflection on the app itself - in fact they were going in the right direction, but just wanted reassurance I think.  Either that or they may have been trying to chat me up - you never know!😉

I second the routes you mention above.  It's lovely around the Holmesfield/Millthorpe area.  There's a footpath that runs from just opposite the Royal Oak pub, a bit further down (where Coughlan's restaurant used to be) that takes you up onto top of the moor.  It's quite a steep narrow path - I've done it many times on my mountain bike.  From there you can drop back down the hill into Barlow and come out next to the Peacock, and as you say, you've got Hackney House tea rooms there, which is a lovely place to stop.  They do very nice food and on a nice day it's a lovely spot to sit outside. 

Nowthen, Moss Valley and Troway are places where I spent a lot of my childhood.  You've surprised me though by saying there are multiple refreshment stops at Troway?  I don't know of any, apart from the Gate Inn, if indeed that place is still going?  There never used to be much there, but it is a long time since I was in that area.  I'd be interested to learn more about that.

14 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

Some good tips there Bargepole!

I've not tried the Komoot app, but funnily enough I was out walking last week in the Manifold Valley and two young ladies stopped to ask me directions - they were using the Komoot app but had lost their bearings a bit!  No reflection on the app itself - in fact they were going in the right direction, but just wanted reassurance I think.  Either that or they may have been trying to chat me up - you never know!😉

I second the routes you mention above.  It's lovely around the Holmesfield/Millthorpe area.  There's a footpath that runs from just opposite the Royal Oak pub, a bit further down (where Coughlan's restaurant used to be) that takes you up onto top of the moor.  It's quite a steep narrow path - I've done it many times on my mountain bike.  From there you can drop back down the hill into Barlow and come out next to the Peacock, and as you say, you've got Hackney House tea rooms there, which is a lovely place to stop.  They do very nice food and on a nice day it's a lovely spot to sit outside. 

Nowthen, Moss Valley and Troway are places where I spent a lot of my childhood.  You've surprised me though by saying there are multiple refreshment stops at Troway?  I don't know of any, apart from the Gate Inn, if indeed that place is still going?  There never used to be much there, but it is a long time since I was in that area.  I'd be interested to learn more about that.

https://m.facebook.com/BeestroTroway/

http://wp.wardsoftroway.co.uk/

The Beestro is in the gardens of Troway Hall. Outdoor seating in the garden, and a great view over the valley. Standard cafe menu plus booze in the daytime.

Wards is a great spot too, and in normal times has nice indoor areas for winter walks.

The Gate is still there also.

Edited by Bargepole23