Ninety Years Today We Became Known As Swfc.

....so Blades might have been  Graves Park Rangers, based on more-or-less locality.   

Edited by Cyclecar
punctuation

On 04/08/2020 at 15:00, St Petre said:

And Chelsea's ground, Stamford Bridge is in the borough of Fulham.

That's an odd one that. Chelsea play in Fulham. So when they win a trophy which High Street do they parade on and to which Town Hall ? I do puzzle over important issues like that.

On 04/08/2020 at 18:17, St Petre said:

I'm trying not to be pedantic Alan but I think Arsenal started out as Woolwich Arsenal, that place being a district in south London before they  moved north of the Thames. I believe the club Port Vale was originally named Burslem Port Vale and I think Tranmere is an area in Birkenhead. As for QPR...got me there.

Why " Port Vale" at all, what does it stand for ? Lots of clubs were founded by Churches eg. Barnsley St Peters, Everton ( St Domingos), or as Works teams, eg. Thames Ironworks ( West Ham I think).

Ps. Apparently Queens Park was an area of North West London

33 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

That's an odd one that. Chelsea play in Fulham. So when they win a trophy which High Street do they parade on and to which Town Hall ? I do puzzle over important issues like that.

Why " Port Vale" at all, what does it stand for ? Lots of clubs were founded by Churches eg. Barnsley St Peters, Everton ( St Domingos), or as Works teams, eg. Thames Ironworks ( West Ham I think).

Correct, Thames Ironworks became West Ham United.

No one really knows why Port Vale are called Port Vale, but there are two schools of thought, both plausible.

One is that the club was an off shoot of an earlier team called Porthill Victoria (based in Newcastle under Lyme), and from where (apparently) you can see the Valley where the ship canal runs through, with various ports along the route.  The road near to Porthill is called Vale Road.

The other is that the off shoot club met at Port Vale House in Burslem, and formed a club called Burslem Port Vale, which was shortened to Port Vale.

Edited by Grappler

11 hours ago, Grappler said:

No one really knows why Port Vale are called Port Vale, but there are two schools of thought, both plausible.

One is that the club was an off shoot of an earlier team called Porthill Victoria (based in Newcastle under Lyme), and from where (apparently) you can see the Valley where the ship canal runs through, with various ports along the route.  The road near to Porthill is called Vale Road.

The other is that the off shoot club met at Port Vale House in Burslem, and formed a club called Burslem Port Vale, which was shortened to Port Vale.

Hard to believe that no ones knows the origin of the name ?

38 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Hard to believe that no ones knows the origin of the name ?

According to records they began as Porthill Victoria, changing to Burslam Port Vale in 1884, they  were founder members of the football league second division 1892 ,after a few years they went into liquidation and dropped to the minor leagues,  the merged with another club Cobridge church, becoming Port Vale and rejoined the league in 1919

Before the Owls were a football club they were a cricket team who played football on a Wednesday at Bramall Lane , hence the name The Wednesday .

On 07/08/2020 at 15:47, Parkside said:

Before the Owls were a football club they were a cricket team who played football on a Wednesday at Bramall Lane , hence the name The Wednesday .

Wednesday only  played their big games at Bramall lane (home of Sheffield United Cricket club) the rest of their games were played at Olive Grove until they moved north of the city (Owlerton) & when Sheffield United Cricket Club lost their revenue they decided to form a professional club (Sheffield United f.c) . Just to put myths to bed a lot of Wednesday fans (not all wednesday fans) seem to think that Bramall Lane was their ground before United was born ( it wasn't they rented the ground for big games because Olive Grove wasn't big enough hence the move to Owlerton ) 

4 hours ago, Markstevo said:

Wednesday only  played their big games at Bramall lane (home of Sheffield United Cricket club) the rest of their games were played at Olive Grove until they moved north of the city (Owlerton) & when Sheffield United Cricket Club lost their revenue they decided to form a professional club (Sheffield United f.c) . Just to put myths to bed a lot of Wednesday fans (not all wednesday fans) seem to think that Bramall Lane was their ground before United was born ( it wasn't they rented the ground for big games because Olive Grove wasn't big enough hence the move to Owlerton ) 

Sheffield United cricket club were formed as an amalgamation of several Sheffield cricket clubs (united), Bramall Lane was a 'cricket ground' that occasionally was used as a venue for football matches, The Wednesday cricket club leased a wicket there as did a few other cricket clubs, The Wednesday Football club played at various venues around the S2 area including Bramall lane and Sheaf House before they made Olive Grove their home. United were not born they were formed, to make use of Bramall Lane in the winter months and generate revenue because The Wednesday had gone permanently to Olive Grove, and The Wednesday chairman and president Mr Charles Clegg proposed that Sheffield United be formed.