Ninety Years Today We Became Known As Swfc.

that makes us sound as unbeatable,got to play the wednesday this week ,bring it on i say.

The idea will appeal to the many modern Wednesdayites who feel they are more 'massive' than the City of Sheffield.

21 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But why was it changed? The article does not say- only that there'd been debate for years.

Like yourself Jeff ,i have never found the reason and can only summize  it,s because we are from Sheffield. Just to add to the debate   who named Port Vale ( from Burslem) and Grimsby Town ( Cleethorpes) and even Man U  was founded under the name of Newton Heath.

Good idea that. Given that the Blades are now being referred to as " Sheffield" in the National media it might be a good idea for the Owls to reassert their identity. 

1 minute ago, ALAN 58 said:

Like yourself Jeff ,i have never found the reason and can only summize  it,s because we are from Sheffield. Just to add to the debate   who named Port Vale ( from Burslem) and Grimsby Town ( Cleethorpes) and even Man U  was founded under the name of Newton Heath.

Could apply that to lots of clubs, eg. QPR, Arsenal, Tranmere Rovers.

21 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Good idea that. Given that the Blades are now being referred to as " Sheffield" in the National media it might be a good idea for the Owls to reassert their identity. 

Could apply that to lots of clubs, eg. QPR, Arsenal, Tranmere Rovers.

Very true Ridgewalk, i should imagine they all started in the boozer

2 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

And Chelsea's ground, Stamford Bridge is in the borough of Fulham.

Edited by St Petre
Add

3 hours ago, ALAN 58 said:

Very true Ridgewalk, i should imagine they all started in the boozer

I'm trying not to be pedantic Alan but I think Arsenal started out as Woolwich Arsenal, that place being a district in south London before they  moved north of the Thames. I believe the club Port Vale was originally named Burslem Port Vale and I think Tranmere is an area in Birkenhead. As for QPR...got me there.

Edited by St Petre
Delete