700 Homes For Attercliffe Waterfront.

Canals will just keep over flowing their lock gates until they reach the destination they were built for , in Sheffield that will mean the river Trent at Keadby . no problems at all . Or the lock keeper can just keep opening the gates and paddles , this will also drain the waterways very quickly.

Edited by Parkside

Its a real shame we didn't do a scheme like this years ago. More housing around the canal basin instead of offices would've been better. 

A boat yard with boat building and barge carriers would have been even better .

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

Canals will just keep over flowing their lock gates until they reach the destination they were built for , in Sheffield that will mean the river Trent at Keadby . no problems at all . Or the lock keeper can just keep opening the gates and paddles , this will also drain the waterways very quickly.

Sheffield to Rotherham canal burst its banks last year, several feet above its normal level, judging by the height of the plastic waste left behind in bushes.

7 hours ago, Be My Bubble said:

Looks like we have goldfish for planners. Building next to rivers a few centuries ago was a good thing, now its the complete reverse. Should be be building anything within a kilometre of a waterway?

There are plenty of places a kilometer from the Don that are over a hundred feet or more above the river - ditto all the other rivers in Sheffield. 

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Sheffield to Rotherham canal burst its banks last year, several feet above its normal level, judging by the height of the plastic waste left behind in bushes.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

The Don burst its bank , The Don and canal are combined by river locks in sections , I have been a  lock keeper on the section at one time . As I said if you open all the gates or sluces then the canal will drain dry and cannot over flow .

7 hours ago, Parkside said:

The Don burst its bank , The Don and canal are combined by river locks in sections , I have been a  lock keeper on the section at one time . As I said if you open all the gates or sluces then the canal will drain dry and cannot over flow .

If the Don was in flood, where would the canal water drain to?

Looking at the map, the section from the canal basin runs as far as the Don at Blackburn Meadows, then the canal starts again a few hundred yards downstream and then runs as far as the Don in Rotherham.

12 hours ago, Parkside said:

A boat yard with boat building and barge carriers would have been even better .

There's already a boat builder based alongside the canal, not too far from the old Hilton hotel.

700 houses well I hope that someone gives attention to the surrounding infrastructure to cope with the influx as well as considering the flooding implications not just for the properties themselves but further down the flow in other councils areas

I guess this being Sheffield they will not allow these homes to have garages and parking spaces  for cars and that they will insist that the houses all have solar power panels and ground water heating

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

700 houses well I hope that someone gives attention to the surrounding infrastructure to cope with the influx as well as considering the flooding implications not just for the properties themselves but further down the flow in other councils areas

I guess this being Sheffield they will not allow these homes to have garages and parking spaces  for cars and that they will insist that the houses all have solar power panels and ground water heating

I wonder if they will be built in accordance to various acts including the Housing Act 1985. 

Wasn't the case last week when I went to view a new-build with my sis-in-law. Advertised as a 'spacious' 3-bed. Took a tape measure with us as one of the rooms in the photos looked tiny. 

Yeah. 40.21 sq foot for the smallest room upstairs, the bathroom was larger, well short of the 70sq foot required to be classified as a bedroom. Other rooms weren't exactly 'spacious' either. 

7 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

If the Don was in flood, where would the canal water drain to?

Looking at the map, the section from the canal basin runs as far as the Don at Blackburn Meadows, then the canal starts again a few hundred yards downstream and then runs as far as the Don in Rotherham.

According to this Government map the flood risk in this area very low:  https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/long-term-flood-risk/map

AyqeuiO1fQa-1CBJfc0pIXfTJRu3Jq17zGLZuxrCiLkoKN7a_Dgnqkcog5LUWyD7LzttQi_efjwHlyoOdjwW34k6t4GDceI8Y815ha4lfmjxehVDkFc5hS_hsvPEwGnqS87z1CQN

Some have raised environmental concerns?  Note the following & the response. 

https://www.rmcmedia.co.uk/vibe/food-and-drink/article/Plans-to-develop-Attercliffe-Waterside-cause-controversy

"The space, which will be familiar to people who use the canal each week as a popular running and walking route, is one of the only green spaces in the area and as such the plans have come under fire from conservationists, worried that Sheffield City Council are about to destroy more of Sheffield’s natural heritage.

In response, David Slater, managing director of Attercliffe’s Spaces Sheffield, said: “Sheffield has more green space than it knows what to do with and how to cope with. The Green Space that was given to the people of Sheffield by philanthropists of a bygone age who would have had no clue how life in the 21st century would be."

The section in bold amuses me. 

Edited by Baron99