Council Fees

Thinking of buying a house which the present owner has let the gardens grow wild and on the door there is a notice saying if the owner did not sort garden out the council would do it and charge him ..the work has now been done by the council but now they can not trace the owner .my question is if I buy this house would I be liable for the councils costs if they can not get the money of the owner 

If you are buying the house you know the owner surely?

33 minutes ago, liam1412 said:

If you are buying the house you know the owner surely?

No he has in effect abandond it hence it being in such a state.   His relatives have said its for sale but won’t give his location 

You can find out who owns it by paying a small fee to the Land Registry. I would think that they would (try to) chase the owner as for an ordinary debt; perhaps for a large sum they could place a charge on the sale of the property which the owner would have to pay out of the sale proceeds.

Edited by carosio

2 hours ago, carosio said:

You can find out who owns it by paying a small fee to the Land Registry. I would think that they would (try to) chase the owner as for an ordinary debt; perhaps for a large sum they could place a charge on the sale of the property which the owner would have to pay out of the sale proceeds.

1. Yes, re HMLR copies. Use https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do

2. Yes, re debt to Council. It is probably noted not at HMLR but as a Local Land Charge.

3. Either way, the owner's relatives cannot just sell unless he is dead or presumed dead (so PR can sell);l or it's repossessed and then sold by the mortgagee (lender).