Crookes Valley Dam

Since when did it become an open air pool? I came up Crookes Valley Road about an hour ago and saw loads of people in the water.

didnt boris say use safe ponds due to no swimming pools,but is it safe,like those in london ect?

People have been swimming in it for a few years now, used to walk through on my way to work and there was always a few swimmers, no matter what the weather...

Is it safe?  Some reservoirs have strong undercurrents that can take you under.  I wouldn't swim in a reservoir.  They have fished seven bodies out of Winscar res over the years and they weren't all suicides.  Only last year a woman trying to save her dog had to be rescued by the fire service.  There are, however, warning notices but they are not always heeded.  Every year during the summer holidays we hear of some youngster being drowned in a reservoir somewhere.  The lure of the water in hot weather seems to be worth the risk but it isn't!

It is safe as long as you are sensible.There's no currents that can take you underwater.

Jumping in water is extremely dangerous regardless of your ability (cold shock), so don't do that.

Drinking alcohol near water is extremely dangeous.

Falling into water when you weren't planning to comes under at least one of the two previous points, so don't do that if you can help it.

Obviously due to the location and the average intelligence of the Great British Public, CVP is probably asking for an accident I admit.

Someone will be along to say "it's deep", and it is. VERY deep. It's about a metre on the edge but drops quickly and it's something like 13m in the middle. That's good - shallow water is the best way to get your feet cut etc. Humans float like corks so there's no reason for that to be a problem as long as you don't jump or fall in.

Someone will be along to say "a little girl drowned in there", do some research and you'll find it was a teenage girl jumping between boats and she fell in. Tragic but not a good plan.

> Only last year a woman trying to save her dog had to be rescued by the fire service.

Yes. Getting in cold water (and all UK water is cold by any average person's definition -  20 degrees is probably the current CVP temp and that will make you gasp a bit) QUICKLY is dangerous. She would have been rushing for sure and possibly even jumped in. There's no surprise such an event is likely to lead to an emergency.

The swimmers at CVP, if they're sensible (no booze, no jumping and slow acclimatisation to the water) are taking a risk but on the whole are not in danger.

Hope that helps.

(I'm a regular CVP swimmer for several years, including winter when we broke the ice literally. I don't swim there now due to the crowds that have descended on the place, there will be trouble there soon but not due to swimming per se).

Edited by RichK

my old grandad a ex seaman always said respect water,respect the sea and always stay safe by swimming in water to the depth you can stand in,so ie swim accross the sea ,not outwards,and re-the sea watch out for the 7th wave,which is the wave that can kill,out at sea,we used to count the 7th wave when it would be stronger and as a young child seamed to woosh harder than the rest,but be safe and aware and do what has been suggested by you all and you will be okay.

No actual outdoor pools in Sheffield and most indoor pools still shut. Not a great surprise this is happening. 

I’ve not been around the dam for a long time.

When the rowing boats were there there used to be life belts at intervals.

Are there still?

I suppose it’s tempting if you are an experienced swimmer,but if it’s a few drinks,a bit of bravado on a sweltering day........not so good.

As I remember it’s a pretty steep wall all around the dam.

A friend of a friend who swam there said she became infected with a parasite: duck lice apparently.  So maybe not dangerous, but unpleasant.

bet it gets used a lot this coming weekend as its going to be very hot,at one time we had several out door pools,millhouses,longley and may be others,been to hathersage its great.