Argos Catalogue. Rip.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone, 
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone, 
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum 
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come. 

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead 
Scribbling on the sky the message It Is Dead, 
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves, 
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves. 

The Argos catalogue was my North, my South, my East and West, 
My working week and my Sunday rest, 
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song; 
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong. 

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one; 
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun; 
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood; 
For nothing now can ever come to any good. 

Christmas is officially ruined and it’s not even August. Thanks 2020.

I always thought it was the Yellow Pages that you ripped.

43 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I thought you had to be a strongman for that. 

Ripping off old poetry is a bit ott TinHat, but I am with you on mourning the Argos catalogue.  Dead handy when when I needed something fast and was probably going to town in a day or so.  I could even pop into an Argos near wherever I was working.  No need to check other stores, or even search the web.  More recently, I checked them alongside ebay, Amazon etc, knowing I could get it faster from an Argos store if their prices were similar.  Oh well, another business hits the dust.  Another reason not to go into town.

19 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Ripping off old poetry is a bit ott TinHat, but I am with you on mourning the Argos catalogue.  Dead handy when when I needed something fast and was probably going to town in a day or so.  I could even pop into an Argos near wherever I was working.  No need to check other stores, or even search the web.  More recently, I checked them alongside ebay, Amazon etc, knowing I could get it faster from an Argos store if their prices were similar.  Oh well, another business hits the dust.  Another reason not to go into town.

They aren’t printing the catalogue anymore - that’s all.  It’s not hit the dust.

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

They aren’t printing the catalogue anymore - that’s all.  It’s not hit the dust.

Oh! Thanks Arnold - i got the wrong end of the stick.  I've still not got the catalogue to use as normal then - I need to go on the Web for that as well.  Ok.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Theres always one ;)

8 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I thought it was very nice and quite funny to read TinHat's adaptation of W. H. Auden's "Funeral Blues" poem.  Why that should be offensive to anyone I really don't know?  I thought it was quite creative myself and all done light-heartedly in a bit of fun.   

I'm not a regular shopper at Argos.  I have bought a few things from there in the past couple of years though strangely enough, because when I've done a search for something online they have often come up as being the most competitive on price and the products are available to collect conveniently in local stores, like Sainsbury's for example.  I've never gone into store and gone thumbing through catalogues - I cannot see the attraction in that.  

So, to be clear, the Argos catalogue is not dead.  It's just not being printed anymore.  It will still be available online.  I think that's absolutely fine myself.  Much easier to find things online than by thumbing through a book.

7 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Oh! Thanks Arnold - i got the wrong end of the stick.  I've still not got the catalogue to use as normal then - I need to go on the Web for that as well.  Ok.

They’ll still have the iPads (or whatever tablet they use these days) in store.

Printing three million fewer thick full-colour catalogues a year is probably a good thing, environmentally.  

I did used to like flicking through the old catalogue though.  

Well I hope they sort their website out first, last few times I have been on their site location checker wouldn't work neither would the reviews also you could only view the main picture, others wouldn't open.

Edited by iansheff

Sainsbury's bought Argos around 4 years ago, that's why Argoe have those small outlets in the larger Sainsbury's stores, so I'm guessing that Sainsbury's don't want the cost of printing the catalogue any more & are moving everything to online, click & collect from the small outlets, brought in from Sainsbury's larger distribution centres in the UK?

It'll also mean that Sainsbury's won't have the cost of running large premises, previously owned by Argos. 

Edited by Baron99