The Labour Party - Part 2

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I was thinking about this. Labour don't really know who to represent or how.

After 40 years more or less of thatcherism, possibly combined with 5 years of brexit, the conservatives now represent the working class. The conservatives haven't changed, I think the working class has. Not just in this country either.

The Labour party and others over the years has got a minimum wage, bank holidays, an end to child labour and dangerous practicies. People should remember what life was like 50+ years ago

Its the voters that have forgotten who is on their side, its certainly not the Conservatives. Perhaps Labour has lost their way a little, its difficult setting policies when our foreign banks can hide yours or your companies wealth.

UK workers compete with good made around the world, yet the Conservatives are the party of free trade, even with Australia.

I dont believe in protectionism, but it can be neccesary in some circumstances.

The Conservatives are the party of the rich, all the other partys need to find their niche.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The Labour party and others over the years has got a minimum wage, bank holidays, an end to child labour and dangerous practicies. People should remember what life was like 50+ years ago

Its the voters that have forgotten who is on their side, its certainly not the Conservatives. Perhaps Labour has lost their way a little, its difficult setting policies when our foreign banks can hide yours or your companies wealth.

UK workers compete with good made around the world, yet the Conservatives are the party of free trade, even with Australia.

The Conservatives are the party of the rich, all the other partys need to find their niche.

The majority of the voters who voted Tory in the former red wall aren't rich. Hartlepool isn't rich.

Kim Leadbeater seems to be spending most of her efforts trying to get votes from the local Muslim population by being vocal about Palestine and Israel, instead of the real local issues of high child poverty and unemployment. It's politics like this that put the supposed 'working class' off voting for Labour. I'm sure the white people on the breadline in Batley and Spen *really* care about Palestine.

Incidentally there are now parts of the Muslim community rejecting Leadbetter en masse due to her sexuality which is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Oh yes the late 60s and 70s a time when Labour was mostly in power.  Yes let's all remember how life was back in those years.  Thank christ the Conservatives regained control and put the country back on track. 

Labour "losing their way a little" is the biggest understatement I've ever seen.  They are not just failing to read the room when they keep trotting out their nonsensical policies and pledges, they are not even in the same building.

A small child would have enough logic to work out the only period in their history where they had real landslide success, and be able to establish exactly who and what what they need to offer to regain their voters. The fact that such blindingly obvious circumstances is totally ignored buy the current rabble of deluded grassroots supporters and union bully boys astounds me.

In any other circumstance I would suggest that they almost  deliberately want to remain losers in opposition.

36 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh yes the late 60s and 70s a time when Labour was mostly in power.  Yes let's all remember how life was back in those years.  Thank christ the Conservatives regained control and put the country back on track. 

Labour "losing their way a little" is the biggest understatement I've ever seen.  They are not just failing to read the room when they keep trotting out their nonsensical policies and pledges, they are not even in the same building.

A small child would have enough logic to work out the only period in their history where they had real landslide success, and be able to establish exactly who and what what they need to offer to regain their voters. The fact that such blindingly obvious circumstances is totally ignored buy the current rabble of deluded grassroots supporters and union bully boys astounds me.

In any other circumstance I would suggest that they almost  deliberately want to remain losers in opposition.

How can you remember what life was like back then? It says on your profile you weren't born till 1982

32 minutes ago, Mister M said:

How can you remember what life was like back then? It says on your profile you weren't born till 1982

I never said it was first-hand experience but I have older relatives, I watch television, I read newspapers, I read books and I've spent the past 20 years dealing with legal issues some of which involved historical negligence and legacy social issues involving government and other civil service departments from such time periods.

I doubt there are many on this forum who have directly lived in many of the time periods that they talk about or critique. Doesn't stop them having an opinion.  

It's documented history. I don't need to have lived in the period to know who the Prime Minister was 50 years ago. I don't need to have directly been involved in a WWII to know it's a bad thing. I don't need to saw off my own arm to know that it hurts.

Talk about clutching at straws.

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I never said it was first-hand experience but I have older relatives, I watch television, I read newspapers, I read books and I've spent the past 20 years dealing with legal issues some of which involved historical negligence and legacy social issues involving government and other civil service departments from such time periods.

I doubt there are many on this forum who have directly lived in many of the time periods that they talk about or critique. Doesn't stop them having an opinion.  

It's documented history. I don't need to have lived in the period to know who the Prime Minister was 50 years ago. I don't need to have directly been involved in a WWII to know it's a bad thing. I don't need to saw off my own arm to know that it hurts.

Talk about clutching at straws.

I'm not clutching at straws. I remember reading some time ago that Britons rated themselves as happiest in 1976.

1976: When national happiness peaked | The Independent | The Independent

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I'm not clutching at straws. I remember reading some time ago that Britons rated themselves as happiest in 1976.

1976: When national happiness peaked | The Independent | The Independent

The sixties was also seen as our greatest decade.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifestyle/articles-reports/2016/05/10/britain-was-greatest-sixties

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

Kim Leadbeater seems to be spending most of her efforts trying to get votes from the local Muslim population by being vocal about Palestine and Israel, instead of the real local issues of high child poverty and unemployment. It's politics like this that put the supposed 'working class' off voting for Labour. I'm sure the white people on the breadline in Batley and Spen *really* care about Palestine.

Incidentally there are now parts of the Muslim community rejecting Leadbetter en masse due to her sexuality which is ridiculous.

This what i mean about the product of 40 years of thatcherism - the working classes (whoever we are) don't want to help people in Palestine or anywhere else. That's why brexit rang the bell - don't send money abroad, we need it. Cut legal aid? Yes please, spend it on our kids - not on free school meals though, some other way as we dont want other people to get stuff we might not get.

Perish the thought there might be room to help other people. No, help me. 

12 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Yeah baby!

8 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Even with COVID, unemployment is low and the minimum wage stops people from being exploited.

This country has a problem with obesity yet children are given free breakfast at school and even in the holidays. Poor families get these hand outs whether its a Tory Government or a Labour Government. Gordon Brown gave away free laptops.

The reason that poor people can vote for either party, they both give freebies. Labour tried to help the poor with a policy about education, education, education. That was the right thing to do. The Tories have devided communities with grammar schools and adademies.

I was working outside a school in a poor area today, a parent was getting into his car with the free breakfast porridge from the school/Government, he gave it to me because he didnt need it. Show me this child poverty that you speak of. What is its cause?

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

The majority of the voters who voted Tory in the former red wall aren't rich. Hartlepool isn't rich.

Did they vote for the Conservatives, or were they woodwinked by the media to vote against Labour?

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Even with COVID, unemployment is low and the minimum wage stops people from being exploited.

This country has a problem with obesity yet children are given free breakfast at school and even in the holidays. Poor families get these hand outs whether its a Tory Government or a Labour Government. Gordon Brown gave away free laptops.

The reason that poor people can vote for either party, they both give freebies. Labour tried to help the poor with a policy about education, education, education. That was the right thing to do. The Tories have devided communities with grammar schools and adademies.

I was working outside a school in a poor area today, a parent was getting into his car with the free breakfast porridge from the school/Government, he gave it to me because he didnt need it. Show me this child poverty that you speak of. What is its cause?

I think I'd give away porridge whether or not it was free.

Horrible stuff :gag: