The Labour Party - Part 2

7 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

In other news Kim Leadbeater is to stand for Labour in Batley and Spen .  Shes only just joined the party and Labour have waived the rules for her . Going for the sympathy vote ?

If Tory voters are anything like you Hacks, going for the sympathy vote, even if that were the intention would be a waste of time.

Anyway none of this deflects from the series of tweets trickling out from Dominic Cummings suggesting that the Government's response to Coronavirus, up until last March, was one of 'herd immunity'. Minister for bullying, Priti Patel was on Andrew Marr this morning denying this. But hang on, wasn't Boris Johnson overheard by Number 10 staff members saying 'Let the bodies pile high'?

Hopefully this will be clarified on Wednesday when Dominic Cummings appears before MPs this Wednesday.

Get the popcorn in :partyhat:

26 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

In other news Kim Leadbeater is to stand for Labour in Batley and Spen .  Shes only just joined the party and Labour have waived the rules for her . Going for the sympathy vote ?

According to a number of reports, Leadbeater WAS a Lab member before the murder of Jo Cox but appears to have resigned her membership so she could be involved with the Jo Cox Foundation. 

She's obviously now rejoined the Lab Party but you're supposed to be a member for at least a year before being considered as a potential election candidate so she can expect someone will be counting the days of Leadbeater's membership?   However, this might not be the case as Labour’s NEC appears to have the power to waive any such rules. 

It's going to be an immediate distraction for her at least & will probably be the first thing she gets asked about?  

Edited by Baron99

Considering how many local people didn't think the actress MP was up to much (a nice jump to Mayor before she lost the next election), I definitely think the Jo Cox connection is being played on.

https://labourlist.org/2021/05/jo-coxs-sister-kim-leadbeater-selected-by-labour-to-contest-batley-and-spen/

first sentence links her to her sister

4 mentions of Jo Cox including one by Starmer

Only 3 candidates on the shortlist and she just happened to be the only local one but 2 others who applied were not put on the vote?

Allowed to stand "under exception" - aside from being Jo Cox's sister what exception is there? 

she will probably win but is that because of her or her sister

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Considering how many local people didn't think the actress MP was up to much (a nice jump to Mayor before she lost the next election), I definitely think the Jo Cox connection is being played on.

if she wasn't up to much then why vote for her as mayor? 

Just out of interest, why didn't they think she was up to much?

after all, she is a  fairly new mp in the opposition party which is more intent on opposing each other than opposing the government. what do they expect her to do?

4 hours ago, sheffbag said:

https://labourlist.org/2021/05/jo-coxs-sister-kim-leadbeater-selected-by-labour-to-contest-batley-and-spen/

first sentence links her to her sister

4 mentions of Jo Cox including one by Starmer

Only 3 candidates on the shortlist and she just happened to be the only local one but 2 others who applied were not put on the vote?

Allowed to stand "under exception" - aside from being Jo Cox's sister what exception is there? 

she will probably win but is that because of her or her sister

If Labour loses Batley and Spen it will be because Labour tried to impose a candidate against the local party's will; and if she wins the seat it will be a 'sympathy vote because of her sister'. 

So it's heads I win, tails you lose?

Sounds to me like sour grapes either way.

Edited by Mister M

5 hours ago, andyofborg said:

after all, she is a  fairly new mp in the opposition party which is more intent on opposing each other than opposing the government. what do they expect her to do?

Labour MPs are expected to feed the hungry, heal the sick, and raise the dead.

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

If Labour loses Batley and Spen it will be because Labour tried to impose a candidate against the local party's will; and if she wins the seat it will be a 'sympathy vote because of her sister'. 

The local members voted for her, 80% of them.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

That's good to know. 

Guest sibon
10 hours ago, El Cid said:

Don’t you go bringing democracy into this. 

Dictatorship is the way we do politics, these days.

14 hours ago, Mister M said:

how does what i put sound like sour grapes?

The local party endorsed the only local candidate and omitted 2 other local candidates from the selection process who applied. They freely admit that under normal rules she wouldn't have had the opportunity to be put forward but "exceptions can be made" (no criteria as to what those exceptions are) . The only logical conclusion i can personally draw is that she was nominated purely because of her sister and not because of her political background (otherwise why would 2 local candidates with much more experience and meet the requirements be excluded)

Labourlist then play up the connection including quotes from the Labour leader.

I have nothing against her at all. I wish her well but if she does win then it will be a little tainted due to the situation in which she finds herself nominated in comparison to what other candidates in different seats have had to go through in order to be nominated.

On 25/05/2021 at 08:55, sheffbag said:

how does what i put sound like sour grapes?

The local party endorsed the only local candidate and omitted 2 other local candidates from the selection process who applied. They freely admit that under normal rules she wouldn't have had the opportunity to be put forward but "exceptions can be made" (no criteria as to what those exceptions are) . The only logical conclusion i can personally draw is that she was nominated purely because of her sister and not because of her political background (otherwise why would 2 local candidates with much more experience and meet the requirements be excluded)

Labourlist then play up the connection including quotes from the Labour leader.

I have nothing against her at all. I wish her well but if she does win then it will be a little tainted due to the situation in which she finds herself nominated in comparison to what other candidates in different seats have had to go through in order to be nominated.

so she was the only local candidate put forward by the party? who had a vote in the process, did local party members get a vote, or just people on the committee?