The Labour Party - Part 2

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I don't think that's quite fair.

I was listening to MPs today reflecting on what has happened, and the real fears for their lives, and those of their staff and families.

It is intolerable that MPs can be essentially threatened to either vote a particular way, or for a particular motion or else they or the people they know will face violence. 

We are discussing the fiasco in the commons during a debate on the middle east,   not supposed threats that MP's are receiving.

Has any of them given proof of these threats to their lives, who is threatening them,  why they are being threatened ?

Of course MP's should NOT be threatened,  and neither should anyone else.   We do have a police force to deal with such things.    The debate was about the middle east and NOT MP's.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I was listening to MPs today reflecting on what has happened, and the real fears for their lives, and those of their staff and families.

It is intolerable that MPs can be essentially threatened to either vote a particular way, or for a particular motion or else they or the people they know will face violence. 

Indeed.

Quite shocking this is happening 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Two Grauniad articles from today, probably best read in this order, as the first helps explain the order of events; I'm sure other papers will have provided explanations as well with varying displays of bias

1) https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/22/house-of-commons-labour-conservatives-snp-gaza-debate-lindsay-hoyle

The Commons needed to focus on the horror in Gaza. Instead this was a grubby game of political chess; Polly Toynbee

2) https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/22/death-threats-mps-politicians-protesters

Death and rape threats, bricks through windows: MPs must be able to serve without living in fear; Stella Creasy

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

We are discussing the fiasco in the commons during a debate on the middle east,   not supposed threats that MP's are receiving.

Has any of them given proof of these threats to their lives, who is threatening them,  why they are being threatened ?

Of course MP's should NOT be threatened,  and neither should anyone else.   We do have a police force to deal with such things.    The debate was about the middle east and NOT MP's.

Keir Starmer had gone to see Lindsay Hoyle because his MPs were facing threats to their lives if they didn't vote a particular way with words inserted into the bill, I think.. It isn't just be Labour MPs that are facing these threats - a Tory MP made a good speech today about the subject.

There is ample proof that MPs are and have been threatened, specifically over the Middle East issue - look at what's happened to Mike Freer.

Yes we do have a police force, but MPs say that they are not using their powers sufficiently to deal with the issue.

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

You are missing the point.  The speaker has stated that it is because MPs  are receiving threats is why he allowed the Labour amendment to be voted on.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Keir Starmer had gone to see Lindsay Hoyle because his MPs were facing threats to their lives if they didn't vote a particular way with words inserted into the bill, I think.. It isn't just be Labour MPs that are facing these threats - a Tory MP made a good speech today about the subject.

There is ample proof that MPs are and have been threatened, specifically over the Middle East issue - look at what's happened to Mike Freer.

Yes we do have a police force, but MPs say that they are not using their powers sufficiently to deal with the issue.

https://news.sky.com/story/tobias-ellwood-pro-palestinian-protesters-hold-demonstration-outside-mps-home-13070531

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/01/tory-justice-minister-mike-freer-to-quit-as-mp-over-safety-fears

https://news.sky.com/story/pro-palestinian-protesters-crossed-line-with-demos-at-mps-homes-and-offices-says-rachel-reeves-13011529.

Absolutely disgraceful and it's just going to get worse.

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Axe said:

You are missing the point.  The speaker has stated that it is because MPs  are receiving threats is why he allowed the Labour amendment to be voted on.  

So we can take it that we live in a lawless country where MP's are threatened and nothing can be done about it except behave like kids in the commons.

I would like to know what this ample proof is and exactly what's being done about it because if our MP's cannot vote,  we cannot be governed.

This does back up previous posts of mine where I said that we should not meddle in other countries affairs except as part of an recognised International body.

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

It is going to get worse.

But it does need to be acknowledged, and probably because people have such a low opinion of MPs, MPs have been reluctant to be open about exactly what has been going on, and how they have been targeted.

I've deliberately kept out of the Middle East debate on here because of its complex, and it arouses a lot of anger. However, I can't help noticing that a small minority, from one side of divide are resorting to threats and violence. Yes it will be a tiny minority of people, but it needs to be said and openly acknowledged.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

So we can take it that we live in a lawless country where MP's are threatened and nothing can be done about it except behave like kids in the commons.

I would like to know what this ample proof is and exactly what's being done about it because if our MP's cannot vote,  we cannot be governed.

2 murdered MPs, stabbing of an MP, repeated death threats, rape threats. 

Lindsay Hoyle will probably be aware of the scale of it. As are the police.

This does back up previous posts of mine where I said that we should not meddle in other countries affairs except as part of an recognised International body.

Edited by Mister M

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

It certainly is  and it certainly will.   It was predicted long ago that we were creating trouble for ourselves.   

Most other countries have the good sense to not interfere abroad.

The government created this complete mess and they will have to find a way to sort it out.

58 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Can't think of anyone in the commons who has benefited because everyone of the politicians has been shown up for the self serving morons they all are.

I feel sorry for the speaker having to deal with the large, egotistical nursery school class of idiots,  and hope he sticks it out.

There is a hell of a lot of good MPs in there .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It is going to get worse.

But it does need to be acknowledged, and probably because people have such a low opinion of MPs, MPs have been reluctant to be open about exactly what has been going on, and how they have been targeted.

I've deliberately kept out of the Middle East debate on here because of its complex, and it arouses a lot of anger. However, I can't help noticing that a small minority, from one side of divide are resorting to threats and violence. Yes it will be a tiny minority of people, but it needs to be said and openly acknowledged.

If MP's expect something to be done about it,  they will have to lose the reluctance to be open in the same way as any normal citizen.

We cannot make big efforts to action on the basis of whispers and hearsay.

Action this day is the best way forwards   and  refrain from interfering except as part of full International body,  is the best way to prevent it happening again.

It might even kick off a call for proper law & order in this country,  as we used to have before the cuts.

We make enemies like China makes cars and knick knacks.