The Labour Party - Part 2

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I have not  inadvertantly acknowledged Ridgewalks point . Unlike Ridgewalk  I am not bothered by a persons wealth (jealousy) , I am more concerned that the person is the right person for the job regardless of their background or wealth . Sunak has been brilliant over the last few years , can you tell me anyone who could do better ? By the way , stop it with the nasty /unpleasant Tory rhetoric .

Anyone that likes giving money away?

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

First of all the Chancellor has an army of experts and advisors to help him and a load of civil servants to carry out his plans so he's hardly on his own is he?  Nor would a Labour Chancellor be. 

You do however seem to have inadvertantly acknowledged Ridgewalk's point, that the current chancellor (and probably most Tory Chancellors) are well out of touch with the realities of most people's daily lives.

They are all out of touch, the advisors too. Even the all wise Dominic Cummings was privately educated.

Perhaps Johnson knows more about being a single parent than some, since he has created a few single parent families.

5 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I have not  inadvertantly acknowledged Ridgewalks point . Unlike Ridgewalk  I am not bothered by a persons wealth (jealousy) , I am more concerned that the person is the right person for the job regardless of their background or wealth . Sunak has been brilliant over the last few years , can you tell me anyone who could do better ? By the way , stop it with the nasty /unpleasant Tory rhetoric .

Sunak has today condemned millions of the poorest people in this country to a massive cut in their standard of living.

Take someone on Pension Credit. In April they are getting an increase from £177.10 to £182.60 (3.1%). The actual rate of inflation is 6.2% which leaves a shortfall of £5.50.

In addition, in 9 days time. they are facing a typical domestic fuel increase of £700pa for which Sunak is giving them £150 leaving a shortfall of £550pa or just over £10 per week. That's a real terms fall in income of just over £15.50 per week or nearly 9%.

How can this man sleep at night.

Shame! Shame! Shame!

1 hour ago, BigPP said:

Sunak has today condemned millions of the poorest people in this country to a massive cut in their standard of living.

Take someone on Pension Credit. In April they are getting an increase from £177.10 to £182.60 (3.1%). The actual rate of inflation is 6.2% which leaves a shortfall of £5.50.

In addition, in 9 days time. they are facing a typical domestic fuel increase of £700pa for which Sunak is giving them £150 leaving a shortfall of £550pa or just over £10 per week. That's a real terms fall in income of just over £15.50 per week or nearly 9%.

How can this man sleep at night.

Shame! Shame! Shame!

Every single employee up and down the land is facing exactly the same hardship but I bet most are not going to get 6.2% pay rise either.

Nevermind shame shame shame. It's time for people to grow up and stop with all this  overdramatic and emotive nonsense.

We need to face the harsh realities . 2 years of global pandemic disruption putting life on hold and bringing the economy to its knees which many business didn't survive. A pandemic, I add, which isn't even finished yet and the costs of which to treat the millions of citizens with medication, care, supplies and administration will take years to pay back.   We are now facing a war Eastern Europe which is going to put more strain on an already stretched economy, trade and vital resources.

Some increase is better than none and just who the hell do people think funds all these welfare rises anyway...    It's working taxpayers. 

Yes it's rubbish - yes it's hard - but such is life. We all have to adapt and reign it in.  Our predecessors have had to deal with hardship time and time before. This is now our time.

It would be naive to think after such economic devastation any rise would seriously match the true inflation rate. Sensible people anticipated such things and don't expect nanny state to hand everything to them on a plate.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

Anyone that likes giving money away?

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

They are all out of touch, the advisors too. Even the all wise Dominic Cummings was privately educated.

Perhaps Johnson knows more about being a single parent than some, since he has created a few single parent families.

Have you got a solution or just talking ? . Are you saying anyone who is privately educated should not be running the country ?

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Every single employee up and down the land is facing exactly the same hardship but I bet most are not going to get 6.2% pay rise either.

Nevermind shame shame shame. It's time for people to grow up and stop with all this  overdramatic and emotive nonsense.

We need to face the harsh realities . 2 years of global pandemic disruption putting life on hold and bringing the economy to its knees which many business didn't survive. A pandemic, I add, which isn't even finished yet and the costs of which to treat the millions of citizens with medication, care, supplies and administration will take years to pay back.   We are now facing a war Eastern Europe which is going to put more strain on an already stretched economy, trade and vital resources.

Some increase is better than none and just who the hell do people think funds all these welfare rises anyway...    It's working taxpayers. 

Yes it's rubbish - yes it's hard - but such is life. We all have to adapt and reign it in.  Our predecessors have had to deal with hardship time and time before. This is now our time.

It would be naive to think after such economic devastation any rise would seriously match the true inflation rate. Sensible people anticipated such things and don't expect nanny state to hand everything to them on a plate.  

Quoted for posterity.

3 hours ago, BigPP said:

RPI inflation is now 8.2%, so you will need to recalculate your figures.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/czbh/mm23

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

In my book any decent society looks after its most vulnerable first. I for one do not want to live in a country where anyone has to choose between eating and heating.

Sunak had plenty of ways of raising revenue, one being Labour's plan for a windfall tax on the excess profits of oil and gas companies,

He chose not to of course because he didn't want to upset his wealthy friends.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

RPI inflation is now 8.2%, so you will need to recalculate your figures.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/czbh/mm23

You're right El Cid. This just makes it worse.

43 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Have you got a solution or just talking ? . Are you saying anyone who is privately educated should not be running the country ?

We do occasionally  get ordinary people in Parliament, Alan Johnson was a Labour MP who got into Parliament because of his union activities. But during the Labour years there would also have been well educated types.

3 minutes ago, BigPP said:

In my book any decent society looks after its most vulnerable first. I for one do not want to live in a country where anyone has to choose between eating and heating.

Sunak had plenty of ways of raising revenue, one being Labour's plan for a windfall tax on the excess profits of oil and gas companies,

He chose not to of course because he didn't want to upset his wealthy friends.

You're right El Cid. This just makes it worse.

Are you Anna B in disguise ?

Just now, El Cid said:

We do occasionally  get ordinary people in Parliament, Alan Johnson was a Labour MP who got into Parliament because of his union activities. But during the Labour years there would also have been well educated types.

So , privately educated should not be in parliament  , yes or no ?

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Are you Anna B in disguise ?

So , privately educated should not be in parliament  , yes or no ?

Yes, if they get elected, its up to the people to vote them in.

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Yes, if they get elected, its up to the people to vote them in.

So why mention it then ?