Jump to content

The Labour Party - Part 2

Vaati

People who get personal with any further attacks in the thread will be suspended. As will any individuals using wording like Smarmer instead of Starmer etc.

Message added by Vaati

Recommended Posts

  

11 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

its like Paul Hardcastle did a labour remix of 19

 

 

 

Innit weird when Dawn Butler is the soothing voice of reason. 

Edited by Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tony said:

Lining up another half century on the sidelines

 

Had to wait right until the end for Dawn Butler to speak the truth.

Absolutely.. If only they realised how "special" they seem to normal folk. 

5 hours ago, sheffbag said:

its like Paul Hardcastle did a labour remix of 19

The comrade and crackpot edition. 

 

I'd buy it for a giggle. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2021 at 03:51, Jeffrey Shaw said:

If I were a leftie, I'd presumably want Labour + LDP + Greens to cobble-together a pact and maximise their collective anti-Conservative vote. Do any Labour Party supporters want that, however?

Yes, I think a lot of Labour supporters did want that, for similar reasons to why they want PR.  An alliance/pact with the SNP might have made sense too, though politically that was never going to happen.

 

Likewise there was no way that Swinson would ever have considered a pact with Labour in 2019 - or vice versa.  Ideologically the gulf was too wide, and of course she thought she was on to a winner with her hardcore Remain stance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptainSwing said:

Yes, I think a lot of Labour supporters did want that, for similar reasons to why they want PR.  An alliance/pact with the SNP might have made sense too, though politically that was never going to happen.

Likewise there was no way that Swinson would ever have considered a pact with Labour in 2019 - or vice versa.  Ideologically the gulf was too wide, and of course she thought she was on to a winner with her hardcore Remain stance.

I believe that if the vote for the Government is less than 40%, they should bring in PR and re-run the election.

David Cameron wanted to include in the Tory general election manifesto a proposal to raise the threshold in trade union strike ballots, a threshhold for electing a Government is along those lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I believe that if the vote for the Government is less than 40%, they should bring in PR and re-run the election.

David Cameron wanted to include in the Tory general election manifesto a proposal to raise the threshold in trade union strike ballots, a threshhold for electing a Government is along those lines.

In the December 2019 General election the Tories got over 43% of the vote.  We saw what happened during the rogue parliament after Theresa May lost her majority.  PR in this country is a ludicrous suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

In the December 2019 General election the Tories got over 43% of the vote.  We saw what happened during the rogue parliament after Theresa May lost her majority.  PR in this country is a ludicrous suggestion.

Remember to buy washing powder. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. PR would be a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, West 77 said:

In the December 2019 General election the Tories got over 43% of the vote.  We saw what happened during the rogue parliament after Theresa May lost her majority.  PR in this country is a ludicrous suggestion.

The Conservatives got less than 40% in 2015, if its good enough for the unions, its good enough for Westminster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

In the December 2019 General election the Tories got over 43% of the vote.  We saw what happened during the rogue parliament after Theresa May lost her majority. 

Surely you mean the rogue governments that twice illegally attempted to undermine our system of government.

Quote

PR in this country is a ludicrous suggestion.

PR would have prevented many millions of people's concerns about immigration and other things from being ignored for decades by both Tory and Labour governments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Remember to buy washing powder. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. PR would be a good idea.

The only people wanting PR are the anti Tory / anti democratic mob who know there is no other political party who have a chance of replacing the Tories in government anytime soon a the ballot box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The only people wanting PR are the anti Tory / anti democratic mob who know there is no other political party who have a chance of replacing the Tories in government anytime soon a the ballot box.

To call PR undemocratic is another ridiculous statement.

FPTP suits the Tories well particularly after tinkering around with constituency boundaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to know how smoothly PR works, pay attention to the current condition of German government. Three weeks after the election and still no government has been formed. Lots of back room deals going on, and the result will likely be a three way coalition of parties that will struggle to push any policy through from their manifesto without compromise.

 

It's democracy yes, but in a way that no one gets what they voted for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, West 77 said:

The only people wanting PR are the anti Tory / anti democratic mob who know there is no other political party who have a chance of replacing the Tories in government anytime soon a the ballot box.

Antidemocratic? Utter nonsense. It's the total opposite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.