The Labour Party - Part 2

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

No.

But you have a thing about Nadine Dorries. So…

And a few more 

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I cannot think of any Labour women that I would describe as "hot totty"

Too young to remember the Blair Babes?

Even the ladies were gorgeous with Blair. Now it’s all armpits and bikini line.

And that’s just the men.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

And that’s just the men.

Name the "Blair Babes " , cos  I dont remember any of them .

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

And that’s just the men.

12 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

SF’s very own Beavis and Butt-Head, astonishingly awful considering the news over the last few days.

Edited by websters gue

16 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Ooo, there’s a challenge. No google so this might be wrong and probably too short.

Caroline Flint

Jackboot Jackie Smith obviously

Hazel Blears

Helen Jackson 

Glenda Jackson

Yvette Cooper

Rosie Winterton

Estelle Morris 

Was Diane Abbott in there? I know, implausible now but different times eh?

There must have been loads more in the Blair landslide that the Trots pretend never happened.

18 minutes ago, websters gue said:

SF’s very own Beavis and Butt-Head, astonishingly awful considering the news over the last few days.

If you can’t see the difference between normal folk and rapey murderers you need to give your head a wobble. 

3 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

I'm beginning to wonder whether it was a deliberate strategy on the part of New Labour to get as many people as possible not to vote.  That would be clever but cynical, and not very democratic, unless you think that the ideal democracy is one in which nobody votes because everyone is happy ... which is paradoxical but could perhaps be defended (not that I would).

It would be interesting if you could back that up with some facts.

Johnson is going to massive efforts to stop people voting, how does that compare? Photo ID required to vote, when a requirement to bring the polling card would be sufficient.

3 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Edited by El Cid

52 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It would be interesting if you could back that up with some facts.

Johnson is going to massive efforts to stop people voting, how does that compare? Photo ID required to vote, when a requirement to bring the polling card would be sufficient.

Indeed. But then no photo ID conveniently disenfranchises quite a lot of people with neither passport or driving licence, who would probably vote Labour. Is it that the Tories can't even envisage a world where you have to live without them, or is it all a cunning plan....  ?

15 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Not difficult to find. 

The term has its own Wikipedia article.

Top Google searches go straight to two Guardian articles, a BBC news report, an Independent article and a link to the Collins Dictionary where the term made their entries. All of them have references to various people with Wiki having a comprehensive list of all 101 of them.

The infamous photograph which actually lead to the term being coined was a PR stunt with Blair attempting to use the 'novelty' of increased women MPs during his leadership as some sort of point scoring gesture. 

Something the Labour Party has never really got out the habit of. Over 20-years on and it's still all novelty, grandstanding, nitpicking, point scoring  gesture politics with a complete lack of any substance.

Edited by ECCOnoob

20 hours ago, Tony said:

Ooo, there’s a challenge. No google so this might be wrong and probably too short.

Caroline Flint

Jackboot Jackie Smith obviously

Hazel Blears

Helen Jackson 

Glenda Jackson

Yvette Cooper

Rosie Winterton

Estelle Morris 

Was Diane Abbott in there? I know, implausible now but different times eh?

There must have been loads more in the Blair landslide that the Trots pretend never happened.

If you can’t see the difference between normal folk and rapey murderers you need to give your head a wobble. 

If they are classed as "babes " then god help the Labour party 

32 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

If they are classed as "babes " then god help the Labour party 

Whatever you think, it didn't stop Blair and the Party cashing in and using a bit of sex sells to do cringeworthy photoshoots and a bit of bragging about how many women they had.

Looking back it's almost amusing that they did something like that considering the Tories had already had a woman leader and Prime Minister, something which, even in 2021, Labour have never had.  Blimey, even the Liberal Democrats managed to get that box ticked.

Perhaps sexism needs to be added on to their ever-increasing list of problems.

To think they have the nerve to say they are a government in waiting. Just standing by ready take over and fix all the tory created problems. Best joke I've ever seen.

Edited by ECCOnoob

12 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

The facts are that in 2001, for the first time in history*, more people stayed at home than voted for the winning party. 

I'm only speculating that it was a deliberate strategy, but it's clear that they were at least 'intensely relaxed' about voter apathy.

In 2001 there was a great deal of voter apathy because a Labour victory had been predicted for months, William Hague obviously did not inspire the voters.

On 30/09/2021 at 12:56, CaptainSwing said:

Yes and no.  Corbyn in 2017 got 2.2 million more votes than Blair in 2001, 3.3 million more than Blair in 2005, 4.3 million more than Brown in 2010, and 3.5 million more than Miliband in 2015.  Of course the problem was that the Tories got even more.  Project Fear, you know.

Even in 2019, when the propaganda was really ratcheted up (not least by the PLP itself) and he was hampered by Starmer's (non-)policy on Brexit, he still got more votes than Blair did in 2005 [or about the same as a proportion of registered voters, if you want to take the population increase into account].

So, Corbyn and/or his policies were polarising, but not unpopular, and the constant gaslighting of him/them and his/their supporters was more worthy of what political theorist John Keane calls the New Despotisms (e.g. China) than of a supposed liberal democracy.

None of which is to deny that he wasn't up to the job, but then who would have been?

Not sure what you mean there.  Apart from one or two columnists the Guardian was always savagely anti-Corbyn.  It's (by and large) a myth that it's a left-leaning paper.  Though it is usually resolutely 'woke', which is maybe what you're referring to.

Thank you.  Those figures will provide a great deal of comfort the next time I'm contemplating the outcome of the last election and its consequences.

Your statement that it's a myth that the Guardian is left-leaning is absolutely fascinating and rather illuminating, given that I don't venture into this thread too often.