The Labour Party - Part 2

11 hours ago, Mister M said:

Ah okay.

As far as Andy McDonald resigning, from what I gather it was on a matter of principle.

A quaint concept, but I can't see it catching on with members of the current government.

Andy McDonald will never be able to implement a single one of his principles. That makes him an idiot not a hero

Which is a bit of a relief really but that's a discussion for another day.

2 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Yes i agree, Burnham would be just as bad, he says what people want to hear, hes a weather vane.

Zarah Sultana seems to be making all the right noises, but if she got anywhere a sniff of power the media would be onto her to make her un electable, they would find something just as ridiculous as they did with Corbyn calling him an antisemite

I dont know any of these people well enough to judge who would be a good leader, that is why I would not object to getting rid of one member one vote.

MPs know each other better than the membership. I think Starmer is doing some good things. The party needs to recover from its worst ever performance in 2017/19

Andy McDonalds £15 per hour minimum wage is rediculous, if he thought that was feasable when inflation will soon be over 4% and the Government in so much debt. With local authorities and the NHS employing so many people, their funding would need a 25% increase, which would mean increases in taxes.

As usual the left and right of the party fighting, while the most inept right wing Tory party we've had in recent years flounder, yet will get back in again.

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

There's not much of a choice is there? 

Maybe Andy Burnham. Possibly John MacDonald (that man has a core of steel wrapped in a kindly grandad persona) but to be honest I despair. As you probably know I think Corbyn was the toughest of acts to follow, the best Prime Minister we never had...  

But cometh the hour, cometh the man (or woman,) I'm hoping....

load of cobblers. John Smith was infinity times the leader of the Labour party never mind a prime minister than JC wasnt

4 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Burnham would be just as bad, he says what people want to hear, hes a weather vane.

He was my MP for years.  He'd turn up to the opening of an envelope if it got him in the paper.

Apparently on LBC this morning the Shadow Home Secretary revealed in a discussion about the minimum wage that he didn't actually know what it was. Something less than £10 was his guess.

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

load of cobblers. John Smith was infinity times the leader of the Labour party never mind a prime minister than JC wasnt

Although Smith had the ultimate reputational luxury of dropping dead before he had to actually do anything to create his reputation. 

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

I dont know any of these people well enough to judge who would be a good leader, that is why I would not object to getting rid of one member one vote.

MPs know each other better than the membership.

Labour's MPs are far to the right of it's membership. When Corbyn was elected, the MPs immediately started undermining him. Had Labour won one of the elections they fought with Corbyn in charge they would presumably have struggled to govern with him as PM because a party's MPs are more influential rather than less when in government where their votes matter.

9 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Yes i agree, Burnham would be just as bad, he says what people want to hear, hes a weather vane.

Zarah Sultana seems to be making all the right noises, but if she got anywhere a sniff of power the media would be onto her to make her un electable, they would find something just as ridiculous as they did with Corbyn calling him an antisemite

Ridiculous?  Despite his many years of support for anti-Semitic terrorist organisations? 

15 minutes ago, Caswall said:

Ridiculous?  Despite his many years of support for anti-Semitic terrorist organisations? 

which are?

and who were you before august? ;)

Edited by melthebell

36 minutes ago, Caswall said:

oh here we go again, which groups?

35 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

oh here we go again, which groups?

'Here we go again' because the followers of his loony left cult just put their heads in the sand and refuse to accept that their Marxist Messiah can do wrong.   We both know which groups.