The Labour Party - Part 2

1 minute ago, sibon said:

Why do you think that Labour should be doing something about this?

Do you understand how Government works?

Where did I say that ? Do you understand how the opposition works ?

Edited by hackey lad

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Where did I say that ? Do you understand how the opposition works ?

I do.

You seem confused by the notion

Now, where is the Prime Minister. Or the Chancellor? Are they hiding? Or incompetent? Or lazy? Or all three?

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

I do.

You seem confused by the notion

Now, where is the Prime Minister. Or the Chancellor? Are they hiding? Or incompetent? Or lazy? Or all three?

Not confused about anything. Are you that confused you cannot answer my first question?

Guest sibon
Just now, hackey lad said:

Not confused about anything. Are you that confused you cannot answer my first question?

I have.

Now, where is the UK government?

Are you proud of their hiding skills?

16 minutes ago, sibon said:

I have.

Now, where is the UK government?

Are you proud of their hiding skills?

No you haven’t . Not to worry , I take no comfort in knowing you cannot answer a simple question 

Edited by hackey lad

Funny how Starmer did a disappearing act when he was found to have breached MPs’ code of conduct over register of interests.

Meanwhile:

Gordon Brown - not Keir Starmer - played a blinder by calling for emergency cost of living measures

https://news.sky.com/story/gordon-brown-not-keir-starmer-played-a-blinder-by-calling-for-emergency-cost-of-living-measures-12668629

Keir Starmer is letting a crisis go to waste

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2022/08/keir-starmer-is-letting-a-crisis-go-to-waste

13 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Funny how Starmer did a disappearing act when he was found to have breached MPs’ code of conduct over register of interests.

Meanwhile:

Gordon Brown - not Keir Starmer - played a blinder by calling for emergency cost of living measures

https://news.sky.com/story/gordon-brown-not-keir-starmer-played-a-blinder-by-calling-for-emergency-cost-of-living-measures-12668629

Keir Starmer is letting a crisis go to waste

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk-politics/2022/08/keir-starmer-is-letting-a-crisis-go-to-waste

But , but , but 

Edited by hackey lad

12 minutes ago, sibon said:

More good news for Labour:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/10/windfall-tax-energy-firms-liz-truss-kwasi-kwarteng-treasury?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Maybe they should also suggest a stupidity tax. That would bankrupt this Government overnight.

So good you put it on two threads. Keep trying 

On 09/08/2022 at 00:17, hackey lad said:

Come on man  , I get what you’re saying but trying to deflect from Labour because they’re not in Government is poor . Are they only relevant when they’re in power?  Not a cult leader by the way 

The mess we are in can, and only, be laid fairly and square in the Conservative's court. The policies are all theirs, put together by their ministers, and implemented by the decidedly upper class Oxbridge Civil Service. There's hardly a one with experience of the real world the rest of us inhabit.

It really is nothing to do with Labour. 

I think you'd be surprised at how little influence the opposition party has in the governance of the country when they are not in power. They are not consulted on issues (unless it's cross party,) and the debates that I've seen are very poorly attended, sometimes with less than half a dozen MPs in the chamber. It doesn't help that half of the debates take place in the middle of the night, which is a ridiculous by product of our peculiar parliamentary system. 

The only time the chamber is full is for Prime Minister's questions on a Wednesday lunchtime when it's packed to the rafters with back-benchers probably hoping to get their face on the tellybox.

The rest of the time you can hear the tumbleweed rolling across the seats. 

And it has been thus since 2010. And the Tory ethos of free market economic policy for even longer. It  has continued unabated for over 40 years, since Thatcher embraced privatisation and sold off the family silver.   

Edited by Anna B

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The mess we are in can, and only, be laid fairly and square in the Conservative's court. The policies are all theirs, put together by their ministers, and implemented by the decidedly upper class Oxbridge Civil Service. There's hardly a one with experience of the real world the rest of us inhabit.

It really is nothing to do with Labour. 

I think you'd be surprised at how little influence the opposition party has in the governance of the country when they are not in power. They are not consulted on issues (unless it's cross party,) and the debates that I've seen are very poorly attended, sometimes with less than half a dozen MPs in the chamber. It doesn't help that half of the debates take place in the middle of the night, which is a ridiculous by product of our peculiar parliamentary system. 

The only time the chamber is full is for Prime Minister's questions on a Wednesday lunchtime when it's packed to the rafters with back-benchers probably hoping to get their face on the tellybox.

The rest of the time you can hear the tumbleweed rolling across the seats. 

And it has been thus since 2010. And the Tory ethos of free market economic policy for even longer. It  has continued unabated for over 40 years, since Thatcher embraced privatisation and sold off the family silver.   

What was it like before 2010 ?

10 hours ago, hackey lad said:

What was it like before 2010 ?

Maybe the  question should be what was it like before 1980, (and in my opinion it was better,) when the seeds of the catastrophe we're in today were sown....

However that was not the question.

So, prior to 2008 (financial crisis) things were very different. All was silly money, aspiration to live like the rich with a Porshe in the drive, and designer this and that, all bought on cheap credit.  Remember Yuppies and novel cuisine? Crisis? What crisis?

The Labour party was complicit though it did spend more on schools, health and  services. Gordon Brown who took over from Tony Blair was less 'New Labour' and had spent years as chancellor during the 'good times' so was trying to reign it in a bit, but couldn't do much because of 'free market economics' which prevented interference in an overheating market. The banks ruled and they were happily making a fortune. But then came the worldwide credit crunch and banks failing, which the lying Tories blamed Labour for. They won an election on the strength of that lie. 

In fact the worldwide crash was the result of cheap credit, the banks couldn't give it away fast enough. Prior to 2008 Credit was everywhere;  being heavily in debt was normal to fund lavish lifestyles. So greedy were the banks, they had to find new ways of selling money and turned to an untapped market, the poor - those that couldn't afford credit but they sold it to them anyway, They bundled up the unsecure debt with other debt and juggled with it, swapping it from one bank to another. Until it was discovered the credit outstripped the entire economies of some countries, and the banks started to topple.

Free market economics should have stopped right then, but didn't, as the banks were propped up with Quantatitive Easing, (printing more money) and so it continues, until we've ended up where we are today.   

Edited by Anna B