The Labour Party - Part 2

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Really? Have a look at previous contributions to this thread, and especially part 1 of this thread - which IIRC covered Labour's time in Government.

I've made a point of pointing out the ignorance and silliness that emanates from government minister Nadine Dorries on the Conservative Party thread, simply to counter the voluminous amount of posts that were started about Diane Abbott, who wasn't even in Government.

The Labour Party's windfall tax wasn't ignored by the Conservative Party as they recent adopted the idea as a policy. 

Perhaps you've over looked Brexit and the incredible division that seeped from the Tory benches into wider society when Cameron couldn't deal with his eurosceptic backbenches (or "********" to use John Major's term). 

I'm not saying every Labour supporter is angelic & every Tory Party member is hateful as that would be daft. However if you read the press, which in terms of numbers, tends to be weighted toward Tories, as an example, you'll find incredible examples of 'the war on woke' - everyone seems to be fair game whether they're minorities or marginalised. When challenged 'oh you can't say this, you can't say that' when clearly they can because they just did! 

I think there are real world consequences to this scapegoating - look at the rhetoric relating to the hostile environment that was to be created for immigrants, and the scandal of how the Windrush generation were treated.

Fair enough, you'll find examples of Labour scapegoating when they were in Government. But to say what you said and then claim you're speaking from a "none political stand point" is a bit rich!

That told him 😃

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Really? Have a look at previous contributions to this thread, and especially part 1 of this thread - which IIRC covered Labour's time in Government.

I've made a point of pointing out the ignorance and silliness that emanates from government minister Nadine Dorries on the Conservative Party thread, simply to counter the voluminous amount of posts that were started about Diane Abbott, who wasn't even in Government.

The Labour Party's windfall tax wasn't ignored by the Conservative Party as they recent adopted the idea as a policy. 

Perhaps you've over looked Brexit and the incredible division that seeped from the Tory benches into wider society when Cameron couldn't deal with his eurosceptic backbenches (or "********" to use John Major's term). 

I'm not saying every Labour supporter is angelic & every Tory Party member is hateful as that would be daft. However if you read the press, which in terms of numbers, tends to be weighted toward Tories, you'll find incredible examples of 'the war on woke' - everyone seems to be fair game whether they're minorities or marginalised. When challenged 'oh you can't say this, you can't say that' when clearly they can because they just did! 

I think there are real world consequences to this scapegoating - look at the rhetoric relating to the hostile environment that was to be created for immigrants, and the scandal of how the Windrush generation were treated.

Fair enough, you'll find examples of Labour scapegoating when they were in Government. But to say what you said and then claim you're speaking from a "none political stand point" is a bit rich!

I don’t vote, and please don’t tell me that I’m lying.

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

I don’t vote, and please don’t tell me that I’m lying.

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm giving my perspective.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm giving my perspective.

If I’m not lying I must be telling the truth as I see it.

Just now, crookesey said:

If I’m not lying I must be telling the truth as I see it.

As you see it, and I'm giving the truth, with examples to back up my perspective.

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

As you see it, and I'm giving the truth, with examples to back up my perspective.

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

You actually believe that the political party in power runs the country, when they actually run the government, which is completely different

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

You actually believe that the political party in power runs the country, when they actually run the government, which is completely different

I'm aware of that - but I'm also aware, as they surely are that the toxicity fanned and amplified in what used to be Fleet Street, has its origins in the chamber of the HoC, and vice versa.

4 hours ago, crookesey said:

I'm sorry, but this sounds either like semantics, or you're just making excuses for a government that is already very bad at accepting its responsibilities.

7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Interesting:

Keir Starmer Confirms He Has Ditched All Of The Pledges In Labour's 2019 Manifesto

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-ditches-last-labour-manifesto_uk_62badcbfe4b080fb670a2baa

I don't think that's too much of a surprise.

My priorities

Personally I'd like to see HS2 scrapped,  but I don't think that'll happen.

I think the priority of an incoming Labour government has to be dealing with the various crises in the NHS. I think there is a good case for reintroducing bursaries for nurse training. Areas like mental ill health, and services dealing with child protection ( Iknow that's primarily a local Government function) need to be targeted, and perhaps bursaries could be used to train more therapists and social workers.

I personally would like to see a stop in hospitals reducing the numbers of beds. That's been happening under both Governments, and it's resulted in crises where people who need to be admitted aren't.

I'd like to see a real effort made so that full time carers of disabled relatives have more support - financial and provision of respite care, so that the carers can have a break. Carers save the Government a fortune, and being a carer is a tough and lonely job.

Controversial I know, but restoring full grants for University students wouldn't be my priority - I would focus much more on funding further education.

Edited by Mister M

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm sorry, but this sounds either like semantics, or you're just making excuses for a government that is already very bad at accepting its responsibilities.

Why should I make excuses for a party that I didn’t vote for or support. You need to realise that there is more going on behind locked doors than your closed mind can cope with.

Angela Rayner showing how it should be done on Prime Ministers Quesrions.

32 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Angela Rayner showing how it should be done on Prime Ministers Quesrions.

She surely shows great ambition, Starmer could find himself replaced a lot sooner than Bojo.