The Labour Party - Part 2

I'm not much for stylists and PR people in politics, but the 41 year old grandmother (nice touch) needs to know that a string of pearls are for debutantes and old ladies. Be yourself Angela, or sack your current stylist.

On 06/01/2022 at 17:34, Anna B said:

No I didn't vote for Johnson, (though I admit his unfounded optimism affected the way I voted in the referendum.)

It certainly helped Johnson to get elected. 

And he is excused all manner of misdemeanours because 'it's just Boris...'

Telling outright liesbeing one of them.

So have you learnt your lesson? You should be telling people that the personallity of a leader is irrelevant.

On 06/01/2022 at 17:39, The Joker said:

It's interesting to see how different news outlets  covered PMQs yesterday.

The Guardian details how well Rayner succeeding in wiping the floor with Shagger Boris, pressuring him into make embarrassing  mistakes and outright lies.

"Smarmer" and "Liebore" aren't allowed but "Shagger Borris" is ok. I see.

Nothing much changes round here. 

18 hours ago, El Cid said:

So have you learnt your lesson? You should be telling people that the personallity of a leader is irrelevant.

I was certainly suckered in by Boris during the referendum, but I didn't regard the question as Party orientated at the time, and I didn't know then what I know now about Boris's capacity for telling barefaced lies. I still clung to the idea that MPs were/would be held to account for lying..... Silly me.

However I do think it proves that the personality of the leader is actually very relevant.

Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is.

I've said before a quick wit and a sense of humour goes a long way to getting a leader elected. Most people aren't that interested in the minutiae of politics (even if they should be paying more attention) and the election comes down to a popularity contest. 

Anna, a question that I think I know the answer to, but what the heck?

If Labour merged with the SDP and renamed the party The Social Democrats, with a number one agenda of U.K. repatriation to the EU, would you support them?

5 hours ago, crookesey said:

Anna, a question that I think I know the answer to, but what the heck?

If Labour merged with the SDP and renamed the party The Social Democrats, with a number one agenda of U.K. repatriation to the EU, would you support them?

If they had a charismatic leader she would!

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

If they had a charismatic leader she would!

Didn’t she consider Corbyn to be charismatic?

9 hours ago, crookesey said:

Didn’t she consider Corbyn to be charismatic?

Very. I met him in person and was blown away. He has a great sense of humour too. Unfortunately it didn't come across on TV (or it wasn't given the chance to.) He also took the time to meet the people too to talk and debate (affably) with them. How many political leaders do you know who do that?

Edited by Anna B

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

Very. I met him in person and was blown away. He has a great sense of humour too. Unfortunately it didn't come across on TV (or it wasn't given the chance to.) He also took the time to meet the people too to talk and debate (affably) with them. How many political leaders do you know who do that?

Interesting, perhaps it’s as simple as him being camera shy. my late mother was a long standing friend of Roy Hattersley and said similar of him. Politics is tough dirty game, you throw your hat into the ring and think yourself lucky if it’s only kicked out.

19 hours ago, Anna B said:

Didn't Blair walk into Downing Street when he won in 1997 so he could meet and talk to the people?  And he was constantly on chat shows for the first few years he was PM.

7 hours ago, crookesey said:

Interesting, perhaps it’s as simple as him being camera shy. my late mother was a long standing friend of Roy Hattersley and said similar of him. Politics is tough dirty game, you throw your hat into the ring and think yourself lucky if it’s only kicked out.

Roy Hattersley's mother was an exceptional woman and her history is very interesting.

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Didn't Blair walk into Downing Street when he won in 1997 so he could meet and talk to the people?  And he was constantly on chat shows for the first few years he was PM.

Yeah, he'd sport a down-to-earth cockney accent for them chat shows too.  What a Man of the People, eh?