The Labour Party - Part 2

6 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Yippee 

Here, have a party hat :partyhat:

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Here, have a party hat :partyhat:

Thank you , it fits lovely 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Angela Rayner metaphorically battered Boris at the dispatch box in PMQs yesterday. :clap:

Yes she did. Starmer take note, that's how it's done.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes she did. Starmer take note, that's how it's done.

Starmer's a lawyer; Rayner's a Northern lass.

Who's better prepared to fight in the bearpit that passes for modern-day Parliament?

4 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Starmer's a lawyer; Rayner's a Northern lass.

Who's better prepared to fight in the bearpit that passes for modern-day Parliament?

A Northern lass every time!

Starmer's way too polite for a bear pit.

Just now, Anna B said:

A Northern lass every time!

Starmer's way too polite for a bear pit.

That's exactly right.

I'm sure Starmer is great in a court room, when you have a judge keeping order, and anybody who speaks out of line gets done for contempt of court.  And if you lie in front of a judge, oh boy, you're in deep doo doo.

But who the  is keeping order in Parliament?

I know there's supposed to be a Speaker of the House of Commons whose job is supposedly to keep a lid on things, but when Shagger Boris son of wifebeater Stanley can rudely interrupt and talk over his opponent, then shameless lie with every breath he takes, Starmer just collapses.

Gimme a Northern Lass any day.

Actually I think one of the most useful/electable things a political candidate can have is a quick wit and a visible sense of humour.

I don't know about Rayner, but Starmer has neither.

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Actually I think one of the most useful/electable things a political candidate can political have is a quick wit and a visible sense of humour.

I don't know about Rayner, but Starmer has neither.

That could be true, but I dont believe you vote for Johnson  :)

Johnson got elected because of Brexit, dont forget that.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

That could be true, but I dont believe you vote for Johnson  :)

Johnson got elected because of Brexit, dont forget that.

No I didn't vote for Johnson, (though I admit his unfounded optimism affected the way I voted in the referendum.)

It certainly helped Johnson to get elected. 

And he is excused all manner of misdemeanours because 'it's just Boris...'

Telling outright liesbeing one of them.

Edited by Anna B

It's interesting to see how different news outlets  covered PMQs yesterday.

The Guardian details how well Rayner succeeding in wiping the floor with Shagger Boris, pressuring him into make embarrassing  mistakes and outright lies.

Whereas the Daily Mail instead focuses on how Rayner was dressed, commenting on how "a grinning and freshly groomed Mr Johnson" was flirting with the  pearl-clad Ms Rayner.

No, I'm not making this up.  Read it for yourselves and despair:

Johnson fumbles and flails under pressure from Rayner

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/05/johnson-fumbles-and-flails-under-pressure-from-rayner

First off, Rayner’s a woman and Boris has a major problem relating to women without mansplaining. More importantly, though, she’s a working-class woman who is very comfortable speaking her mind. Where Starmer may back off and err on the side of caution and politesse, Rayner is never happier than when going toe to toe. Especially when she’s up against someone who is struggling in the polls and whom she doesn’t much respect.

“Um, er,” said Johnson. For a moment – the trademark hesitations and incoherence aside – it looked as though Johnson might actually try to answer the question directly. He even began a half-formed sentence to that end. Then half way through he gave up and decided to do what he always does. When under pressure or not. He started lying. How could he have forgotten to do something so natural to him?

From that point on, Johnson was pretty much lost, careering from one car crash to the next. In between wittering on about cold weather payments and the warm home discount – he claimed it was worth £140 a week: it isn’t, it’s £140 a year, though this was probably less a lie and more total ignorance – he just bounced from one lie to the next causing ever greater self-harm.

Then, when Rayner wondered why the government was so keen to rule out cutting VAT on fuel bills – something Johnson had promised as a Brexit dividend – Boris exploded into faux outrage. How dare people who had voted to stay in the EU demand that he keep his promises? He was fully entitled to break as many as he liked to remainers.

When Starmer is faced with so many lies in a matter of minutes, he tends to have a mini-meltdown himself. As if the idea of a prime minister being unable to tell the truth does not compute with his version of reality. And you can sort of see his point. It’s a sign of how low we’ve sunk into the **** that we’ve grown used to the idea of Johnson as a serial liar. We don’t expect anything else from him. But where Keir, frets, Rayner runs with it. Sensing Boris was badly losing the plot – if you can lose something you never really had – she paused to ask if he was feeling OK?

And he really wasn’t. He was having one of his worst days. He knew that all of his lies would unravel long before the end of PMQs but was unable to prevent himself from telling them. He was so busted. So exposed. He knew it and his own benches knew it.

Boris Johnson flirts with Angela Rayner  during a VERY jovial PMQs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10371867/Boris-Johnson-flirts-grinning-pearl-clad-Angela-Rayner-jovial-PMQs.html

Boris Johnson and Angela Rayner set sparks flying with an energetic display at Prime Minister's Questions in which Labour's deputy leader made clear her designs on power. 

Glamourous granny Ms Rayner, 41, clashed with the PM over the UK's cost of living crisis as the Commons returned from its Christmas break.

Clad in pearls she targeted his refusal to consider a cut to VAT to help hard-pressed families amid surging energy prices, rising inflation and upcoming tax rises that will add hundreds to their monthly bills.

She was standing in for Opposition Leader Sir Keir Starmer as he isolated with Covid - his sixth time in quarantine. 

And it made for a tempestuous display that led watchers on social media to suggest the pair - who have massively divergent political views - were flirting with each other.

A grinning and freshly groomed Mr Johnson hit back at her attacks on the cost of living by pointing out that her many party roles included shadow minister for the future of work.

The thrice-married PM added 'we all know what job she wants' - an allusion to claims that she would like to replace Sir Keir. 

And Ms Rayner, her long auburn locks flowing, did little to dampen that suggestion when she fired back: 'I've heard on the grapevine there might be a vacancy for Prime Minister soon, so maybe I should show aspiration.'

35 minutes ago, The Joker said:

It's interesting to see how different news outlets  covered PMQs yesterday.

The Guardian details how well Rayner succeeding in wiping the floor with Shagger Boris, pressuring him into make embarrassing  mistakes and outright lies.

Whereas the Daily Mail instead focuses on how Rayner was dressed, commenting on how "a grinning and freshly groomed Mr Johnson" was flirting with the  pearl-clad Ms Rayner.

No, I'm not making this up.  Read it for yourselves and despair:

Johnson fumbles and flails under pressure from Rayner

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/05/johnson-fumbles-and-flails-under-pressure-from-rayner

First off, Rayner’s a woman and Boris has a major problem relating to women without mansplaining. More importantly, though, she’s a working-class woman who is very comfortable speaking her mind. Where Starmer may back off and err on the side of caution and politesse, Rayner is never happier than when going toe to toe. Especially when she’s up against someone who is struggling in the polls and whom she doesn’t much respect.

“Um, er,” said Johnson. For a moment – the trademark hesitations and incoherence aside – it looked as though Johnson might actually try to answer the question directly. He even began a half-formed sentence to that end. Then half way through he gave up and decided to do what he always does. When under pressure or not. He started lying. How could he have forgotten to do something so natural to him?

From that point on, Johnson was pretty much lost, careering from one car crash to the next. In between wittering on about cold weather payments and the warm home discount – he claimed it was worth £140 a week: it isn’t, it’s £140 a year, though this was probably less a lie and more total ignorance – he just bounced from one lie to the next causing ever greater self-harm.

Then, when Rayner wondered why the government was so keen to rule out cutting VAT on fuel bills – something Johnson had promised as a Brexit dividend – Boris exploded into faux outrage. How dare people who had voted to stay in the EU demand that he keep his promises? He was fully entitled to break as many as he liked to remainers.

When Starmer is faced with so many lies in a matter of minutes, he tends to have a mini-meltdown himself. As if the idea of a prime minister being unable to tell the truth does not compute with his version of reality. And you can sort of see his point. It’s a sign of how low we’ve sunk into the **** that we’ve grown used to the idea of Johnson as a serial liar. We don’t expect anything else from him. But where Keir, frets, Rayner runs with it. Sensing Boris was badly losing the plot – if you can lose something you never really had – she paused to ask if he was feeling OK?

And he really wasn’t. He was having one of his worst days. He knew that all of his lies would unravel long before the end of PMQs but was unable to prevent himself from telling them. He was so busted. So exposed. He knew it and his own benches knew it.

Boris Johnson flirts with Angela Rayner  during a VERY jovial PMQs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10371867/Boris-Johnson-flirts-grinning-pearl-clad-Angela-Rayner-jovial-PMQs.html

Boris Johnson and Angela Rayner set sparks flying with an energetic display at Prime Minister's Questions in which Labour's deputy leader made clear her designs on power. 

Glamourous granny Ms Rayner, 41, clashed with the PM over the UK's cost of living crisis as the Commons returned from its Christmas break.

Clad in pearls she targeted his refusal to consider a cut to VAT to help hard-pressed families amid surging energy prices, rising inflation and upcoming tax rises that will add hundreds to their monthly bills.

She was standing in for Opposition Leader Sir Keir Starmer as he isolated with Covid - his sixth time in quarantine. 

And it made for a tempestuous display that led watchers on social media to suggest the pair - who have massively divergent political views - were flirting with each other.

A grinning and freshly groomed Mr Johnson hit back at her attacks on the cost of living by pointing out that her many party roles included shadow minister for the future of work.

The thrice-married PM added 'we all know what job she wants' - an allusion to claims that she would like to replace Sir Keir. 

And Ms Rayner, her long auburn locks flowing, did little to dampen that suggestion when she fired back: 'I've heard on the grapevine there might be a vacancy for Prime Minister soon, so maybe I should show aspiration.'

Does a 'freshly groomed Mr Johnson' mean that he's had a bath this month, and look like he hasn't slept in his suit?

The Daily Mail certainly have got very low expectations

Edited by Mister M