The Labour Party - Part 2

1 hour ago, banjodeano said:

Edited by banjodeano

3 hours ago, the_bloke said:

£15ph at a full time rate of 37.5hrs a week is a salary of £29,250 pa. I'm sure there are a lot of people currently in stressful jobs earning around £30k a year that would take a step backwards and work in a job with zero skills and responsibility for the same money.

I have just calculated on the back of a fag packet, how much a £15 an hour minimum would cost local councils - £9,720 million.

Council employees have been offered an improved pay increase which will add £328m to the local government pay bill.

Under the offer, the majority of employees - those on salaries starting at £18,198 per year - would receive an uplift of 1.75% on 1 April 2021, with those on the lowest salary receiving 2.75%.

How much would that increase council tax?

8 hours ago, Tony said:

Any band of Corbyn and his fellow travellers is a group of anti-Semites. You're either in it or you're not. I'm not. Most people aren't. Only you can speak for yourself. It's really not worth trying to enlighten an anti-Semite any more than it to try with a neo-Nazi so we tend to just ridicule them and keep them well away from levers of actual power. 

I'm looking forward to hearing Starmer today. Hopefully he will be able to draw a line under the lunatics who've infested the party for years. If he can also get the idealistic no-mark gob****es like Rayner nailed down, he'll have swum the Channel.

What an extraordinary post. 

So misinformed I hardly know where to start....

I think your use of language says more about you and your party, than any amount of 'nasty party' rhetoric.

You and the Tory party deserve each other. 

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What an extraordinary post. 

So misinformed I hardly know where to start....

I think your use of language says more about you and your party, than any amount of 'nasty party' rhetoric.

You and the Tory party deserve each other. 

this is a real eye opener for the blinkered people Anna..

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/asa-winstanley/uk-labour-anti-semitism-probe-finds-only-two-unlawful-acts

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I have just calculated on the back of a fag packet, how much a £15 an hour minimum would cost local councils - £9,720 million.

Council employees have been offered an improved pay increase which will add £328m to the local government pay bill.

Under the offer, the majority of employees - those on salaries starting at £18,198 per year - would receive an uplift of 1.75% on 1 April 2021, with those on the lowest salary receiving 2.75%.

How much would that increase council tax?

I thought there was a freeze on inflation pay increases for local authority staff in 2021/22?

1 hour ago, saywhatnow said:

I thought there was a freeze on inflation pay increases for local authority staff in 2021/22?

Yes the Government did announce a pay freeze, maybe they changed their minds, or maybe this is 2020/21?

But why would they freeze pay next year, wages are increasing massively now, 4% inflation next year!

Maybe they are just having a laugh?

On 25 November 2020, the Government published Spending Review 2020. As part of the
response to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Chancellor announced
that public sector pay will be “paused” for 2021/22. There will be an exemption for NHS
staff. In addition, workers earning below £24,000 will receive a pay rise of at least £250
(although for some this could still represent a pay cut in real terms).

Thanks.

Yes we will see what they do for 2022/23, unions will fight for it but it'll be hard if councils are having to cut back.

20 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

Thanks.

Yes we will see what they do for 2022/23, unions will fight for it but it'll be hard if councils are having to cut back.

It feels like we have been in lockdown for two years and we havnt a clue whats going on  :)

Just put the radio on for a few minutes . They were talking about the Labour conference and who did they have on ?   The young messiah Owen Jones , talking about the old Messiah  Jeremy Corbyn  . I feel Labour  are in for a  messy time .

9 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Just put the radio on for a few minutes . They were talking about the Labour conference and who did they have on ?   The young messiah Owen Jones , talking about the old Messiah  Jeremy Corbyn  . I feel Labour  are in for a  messy time .

They will be while a large element of the left are under the  delusion that Corbyn saw them within a few thousand votes of power in 2017.

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

They will be while a large element of the left are under the  delusion that Corbyn saw them within a few thousand votes of power in 2017.

Can you think of any other British politician of any party who has had the same sort of long term, devoted following as Jeremy Corbyn? Especially in the face of such dire publicity? Or who has increased membership of their party to the same extent?

No? Why do you think this is?

Edited by Anna B

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Can you think of any other British politician of any party who has had the same sort of long term, devoted following as Jeremy Corbyn? Especially in the face of such dire publicity? Or who has increased membership of their party to the same extent?

No? Why do you think this is?

It's a shame chanting 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn' at Glastonbury and basking in the Twitter echo chamber doesn't translate into votes, isn't it?  Corbyn and his acolytes are a liability, happiest in opposition, and as long as they remain we're going to have years of Johnson and his bunch of lunatics, or whatever monstrous clones they churn out next, shafting the country, enriching their chums, and guffawing with glee about how easy Labour has made it for them. 

Labour has lost its mind, utterly failing to understand the electorate beyond the Twitter and new-Guardian bubble, as this week's performance by Lammy et al amply demonstrates.  Starmer could revive it but he's hobbled by absolute ****ing idiots.  I'm utterly gutted about the current state of affairs.

Corbyn took it all comfortably in his stride. It’s almost as though he’s happiest as the voice of protest rather than having to present himself as a credible party leader who needs to win over half the country. Though he still likes the adulation he gets from his supporters, he never actually much wanted the hassle. Trying to convince people that he was all in favour of a nuclear deterrent, provided submarines didn’t carry any nuclear missiles, was never his strongest point. Now though he is free to do what he likes best: lap up the love, speak from the hip but never be responsible for the outcomes.

From here.

Edited by Guest