The Labour Party - Part 2

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Its interesting to read that, but it doesnt tell me how an unsuitable, in hindsight, candidate was selected.

Perhaps the problem was Labours reaction to the claims of Omaras homophobic online comments, the Conservatives would have asked what all the fuss was about.

Some would say that is Labours problem, too woke.

No.

The problem was the right-whinging press' reaction to Jared's comments, all the while they ignored similar comments from the Evil Tories.

Yes, another example of double-standards by our free & impartial press barons.

14 hours ago, The Joker said:

No.

The problem was the right-whinging press' reaction to Jared's comments, all the while they ignored similar comments from the Evil Tories.

Yes, another example of double-standards by our free & impartial press barons.

What has Jared O'Mara's selection process and failure as an MP got to do with the Tories?

As El Cid points out, there isn't much information available to see why he was selected, and it raises a lot of questions.

Why was he selected? 

Was he the best candidate the NEC thought Sheffield Labour had to offer? Doesn't say much about the quality of candidates does it?

Would the local party have rejected his selection if they could have done?

Did the local party already know he would be unsuitable?

I think it's fair that no matter what your political allegiance is, you have the right to expect your local MP to at least be competent and represent your constituency in Parliament.

23 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

What has Jared O'Mara's selection process and failure as an MP got to do with the Tories?

As El Cid points out, there isn't much information available to see why he was selected, and it raises a lot of questions.

Why was he selected? 

Was he the best candidate the NEC thought Sheffield Labour had to offer? Doesn't say much about the quality of candidates does it?

Would the local party have rejected his selection if they could have done?

Did the local party already know he would be unsuitable?

I think it's fair that no matter what your political allegiance is, you have the right to expect your local MP to at least be competent and represent your constituency in Parliament.

The pre-selection of candidates by the party hierarchy (all parties) is undemocratic in the first place. IMO MPs should be independent, and have to fight for election from an even playing field, like applying for a job with publicly available CVs, background checks etc. and may the best man win. Parliament should be co-operational rather than confrontational. Of course there would be all sorts of  problems that this system would need sorting out, but to me would be a step towards real democracy.   

Edited by Anna B

4 hours ago, the_bloke said:

He has a first class honours degree and he had stood as a Labour candidate in various Sheffield council elections, so he was a suitable candidate for the locals, but PPCs are high profile. They get abuse and detailed scrutiny. We are discussing his personal life now on a Sheffield forum, how much more scutiny can there be?
Wiki doesnt show any work history, yet he was born in 1981. Was he unable to work due to his disabilities?
Edited by El Cid

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

The pre-selection of candidates by the party hierarchy (all parties) is undemocratic in the first place. IMO MPs should be independent*, and have to fight for election from an even playing field, like applying for a job with publicly available CVs, background checks etc. and may the best man win. Parliament should be co-operational rather than confrontational. Of course there would be all sorts of  problems that this system would need sorting out, but to me would be a step towards real democracy.   

* - My bold.

The is something clean and pure and naive about the above.  It makes the Anna B. the natural target of many on this forum.  Please continue to fight the good fight.

However, experience shows us that this is not the way the world turns.

It is a natural, hard fought, evolution of Government that has brought us to todays situation. From the gathering of the rich and influential of Simon de Montforts day to the change in voting age in 1969. Persons of similar belief will naturally act together and that is the essence of a Political Party. They will, if allowed to do so by their members, impose rules and controls on their members.

If members don't like it they can leave and form another Party or stand as alone on their own manifesto. MP's and others have done this  for 100's of years. They continue to do this today.

MP's are independent and even when thrown out of their party they continue to sit in Parliament.

It is only since 1970 that a Party name has been allowed onto the ballot sheet.

https://www.markpack.org.uk/107255/political-leaflets-used-look-two-edward-heaths-ballot-paper/

17 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

* - My bold.

The is something clean and pure and naive about the above.  It makes the Anna B. the natural target of many on this forum.  Please continue to fight the good fight.

However, experience shows us that this is not the way the world turns.

It is a natural, hard fought, evolution of Government that has brought us to todays situation. From the gathering of the rich and influential of Simon de Montforts day to the change in voting age in 1969. Persons of similar belief will naturally act together and that is the essence of a Political Party. They will, if allowed to do so by their members, impose rules and controls on their members.

If members don't like it they can leave and form another Party or stand as alone on their own manifesto. MP's and others have done this  for 100's of years. They continue to do this today.

MP's are independent and even when thrown out of their party they continue to sit in Parliament.

It is only since 1970 that a Party name has been allowed onto the ballot sheet.

https://www.markpack.org.uk/107255/political-leaflets-used-look-two-edward-heaths-ballot-paper/

what a kind thing to say...respect

Guest sibon
10 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Probably because of the way language has evolved. ‘Normal’ as an adjective has become an emotive term.

Possibly.

I was thinking more along the lines of people being defined by more than just their sexuality.

4 minutes ago, sibon said:

Possibly.

I was thinking more along the lines of people being defined by more than just their sexuality.

Fair do’s. People react differently to an unexpected defeat. Bill Shankley used to clean the oven, I go on SF and start daft arguments.

Guest sibon
25 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Fair do’s. People react differently to an unexpected defeat. Bill Shankley used to clean the oven, I go on SF and start daft arguments.

It’s not a daft argument. It’s quite an interesting discussion really.

Anyway. International break.

If potential additional voters don't like what they see, they withhold or switch their votes.

Political parties often forget that, in their eagerness to satisfy their existing voters/members.

Labour, who oppose any form of Covid passports are demanding thst anyone attending this year's Labour Party Conference MUST provide proof of being fully vaccinated or having a negative test. 

https://labourlist.org/2021/08/labour-reveals-covid-measures-for-party-conference-attendees/

Hmmm!  And how would one prove that without some form of documentary / electronic evidence?   Hypocrites! 

17 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Labour, who oppose any form of Covid passports are demanding thst anyone attending this year's Labour Party Conference MUST provide proof of being fully vaccinated or having a negative test. 

https://labourlist.org/2021/08/labour-reveals-covid-measures-for-party-conference-attendees/

Hmmm!  And how would one prove that without some form of documentary / electronic evidence?   Hypocrites! 

No different for them being against voter ID but requiring photo ID to go to party meetings and vote.