The Labour Party - Part 2

Just now, Longcol said:

I think I'd give away porridge whether or not it was free.

Horrible stuff :gag:

Yes indeed, it was the prepacked stuff, just add water/milk. They are sometimes given cereal and sometimes porridge, I have been told by more than one family that they give it away to anyone that wants it.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Did they vote for the Conservatives, or were they woodwinked by the media to vote against Labour?

I think you mean hoodwinked, ie duped. One thing I do notice on this thread and that is if people vote other than labour it is normal to blame it on the media. In anycase how can you vote against a political party, regardless of its colour?

20 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

The majority of the voters who voted Tory in the former red wall aren't rich. Hartlepool isn't rich.

According to you the Voters in Hartlepool are "either racist, stupid or rich".

So that makes them stupid or racist then 

Edited by sheffbag

21 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

So that makes them stupid or racist then 

Your words not mine ;)

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Your words not mine ;)

"People who vote Tory are racist, stupid or rich"

nice try my friend ;) 

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

Its just a news article to wind up people like yourself. Can you tell me, because the article doesnt put any facts or figures in there, what does "living below the breadline" mean?

"The increase has been driven in particular by a sharp rise in the number of children living in poverty despite one or more of their parents working."

You’re a couple applying together-Up to £2,060 a year
You’re a single parent-Up to £2,060 a year
You work at least 30 hours a week-Up to £830 a year
You have a disability-Up to £3,240 a year
You have a severe disability-Up to £1,400 a year (usually on top of the disability payment)
A family with two children can claim more than £1,800 a year in Child Benefit.

So that is a minimum of £3,860 on top of any wages.

If they only earn £2,000 they will also get housing benefit, which is worth around £4,000 per year, more in the London area.

Edited by El Cid

29 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

"People who vote Tory are racist, stupid or rich"

nice try my friend ;) 

Just joshing.

I concede there were local issues, but when you have people voting Tory because they want more food banks you're left scratching your head a bit.

But they've done it and that's that. It will be very interesting to see if there are any tangible improvements over the next 4 years. 

40 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Its just a news article to wind up people like yourself. Can you tell me, because the article doesnt put any facts or figures in there, what does "living below the breadline" mean?

Its quite clear what the article says - the constituency of Batley and Spen has serious issues with the numbers of people classed as being in poverty (57% in one area), the definition of which is included in the news article and is a well known definition of what poverty means in this country. It's as if you didn't read it.

To simplify my earlier comments and question then as you want to argue about the news article rather than my point; Batley and Spen has some of the worst child poverty figures in the country. Why is Labour running a campaign based upon Palestine and Israel when the local people have more pressing issues, such as getting food on the table, and why does Labour think it will win them the local election?

53 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Its quite clear what the article says - the constituency of Batley and Spen has serious issues with the numbers of people classed as being in poverty (57% in one area), the definition of which is included in the news article and is a well known definition of what poverty means in this country. It's as if you didn't read it.

Yes and that definition is one of relative poverty not actual poverty and is based on a percentage of the average wage which in 2020 was £31,461. I would estimate that most of these poor workers are getting paid around the minimum wage so in order to get to any parity the minimum wage would have to be increased to £16.80 per hour.

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

To simplify my earlier comments and question then as you want to argue about the news article rather than my point; Batley and Spen has some of the worst child poverty figures in the country. Why is Labour running a campaign based upon Palestine and Israel when the local people have more pressing issues, such as getting food on the table, and why does Labour think it will win them the local election?

I have seen Palestine and Israel mentioned, but the campaign seems to be based on the candidate being local, the only one of the candidates.