The Labour Party - Part 2

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about because Sir Geoffrey Boycott is not in the House of Lords. He was knighted thanks to Theresa May who is a cricket fan.

Oh yes, sorry my mistake, they should abolish knighthoods as well

41 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Whilst not wanting to derail this thread, my point being that the house of Lords serves no purpose whatsoever, it is occupied by unelected people who are not voted in b y the public, most of the people in that place have only got where they are by lining other peoples pockets,

that's not quite true, many have got there on their own merit  and other got there because their long distant ancestors lined someone elses pockets. Reform is almost certainly necessary, but that needs to be part of a wider review of what passes for our constitution. I'm sure there is a thread where we can explore this.  

41 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

lets get back to the Labour shambles...

is it a shambles though? it seems fairly clear that the bulk of the votes they lost went to the lib dems because the voters came to the community conclusion that there was a need to express some dissatisfaction with the current governments policies and did all they could to achieve that expression. it would only be a shambles if this was the general election but it isn't . The result to be more concerned about is the upcoming batley and spen one. 

34 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Oh yes, sorry my mistake, they should abolish knighthoods as well

perhaps change the name, but there should be a way to recognise outstanding achievements. 

4 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

perhaps change the name, but there should be a way to recognise outstanding achievements. 

Why ? Whatever 'name' it goes under, someone will complain 'he/she doesn't deserve that recognition/honour'

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Why ? Whatever 'name' it goes under, someone will complain 'he/she doesn't deserve that recognition/honour'

why not? not recognising people who deserve recognition because some small minded people will object seems wrong 

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I like the idea of having two separate schemes, one for those who worked for it, like sportstars and those who work for local causes.

The other scheme can be for those who simply made a large financial donation to the Tory party.

1 minute ago, andyofborg said:

why not? not recognising people who deserve recognition because some small minded people will object seems wrong 

I agree with that sentiment - I was just querying the need to rename the recognition.

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I like the idea of having two separate schemes, one for those who worked for it, like sportstars and those who work for local causes.

The other scheme can be for those who simply made a large financial donation to the Tory party.

Or to the Labour Party if they are/were the ones handing out the 'bribes'.

21 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Or to the Labour Party if they are/were the ones handing out the 'bribes'.

ooh, I touched a nerve there. Did they reject your miniscule donation or what?

3 minutes ago, The Joker said:

ooh, I touched a nerve there. Did they reject your miniscule donation or what?

No you didn't - I have never made a donation to ANY political party - they are undeserving.

BTW - Is this your monthly weekend release?

On 18/06/2021 at 09:46, sheffbag said:

Congrats to the lib dems for winning the by-election yesterday taking the tory seat but...

622 votes for Labour (1.6% of the vote)

Abysmal seems to mild a word for it. Maybe the LDP is right, for once, and the future holds a different two party split (Conservative v. LDP) with the Labour Party all but extinct?

13 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Abysmal seems to mild a word for it. Maybe the LDP is right, for once, and the future holds a different two party split (Conservative v. LDP) with the Labour Party all but extinct?

I'm sure you said something like that before, that the kippers might replace Labour as the party of the working class.

How did that work out?

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

You might have confused him with Ian Botham who is now in the House of Lords.  Don't you think Keir Starmer deserved to be knighted before he became a Labour MP?

I am not a fan of all that nonsense to be honest,  I am no supporter of the royal family and all the malarkey that goes with it..

3 hours ago, andyofborg said:

that's not quite true, many have got there on their own merit  and other got there because their long distant ancestors lined someone elses pockets. Reform is almost certainly necessary, but that needs to be part of a wider review of what passes for our constitution. I'm sure there is a thread where we can explore this.  

is it a shambles though? it seems fairly clear that the bulk of the votes they lost went to the lib dems because the voters came to the community conclusion that there was a need to express some dissatisfaction with the current governments policies and did all they could to achieve that expression. it would only be a shambles if this was the general election but it isn't . The result to be more concerned about is the upcoming batley and spen one. 

Yes indeed,  outstanding people should indeed be recognised 

I agree there was a nice lady on the television complaining  with a lovely view of the countryside which was soon to be blighted by new cheap houses for common people to live in.

Fancy that.

The Tories have now replaced Labour as the party for the working class thanks to their honest Brexit policy under the leadership of Boris.

As a working class commoner, I'll finally be able to afford a nice house in the countryside.  All thanks to Shagger Boris.